Game-Labs Forum

Visual Damage on Ships

Hi all,

I'm loving the game so far but have a question in regards to ship damage during and after battle.

I see and like the damage during a battle so far ,damage to sails wood splinters and the odd piece wood flying off but not any other visual  damage, I hear that the masts can also be destroyed but have yet to see one break off,(not played much so this could be the reason I've not seen such an event)

So I know this is EA but was wondering if current ship damage would be for all to see eventually.

Many thanks

When you shoot one hole, you get one hole. When you shoot many holes, you lose structural integrity.

It would be nice to see some actual damage to hulls, even if they could just start with guardrails breaking, windows shattering, rigging taking damage, etc... it would be something over just hole decals plastered anywhere there is a hit.

Check out the stern, missing planking and that sort of thing would be awesome.

tumblr_ndwm3g8UEP1tc7hsjo1_400.jpg

97a01098d01f11c16946b6aac5028d75.jpg

Running over a significantly smaller ship resulting in it getting dented or smashed would be a neat effect as well instead of bumping or slowly pushing it underwater. Explosions causing visible damage other than missing masts, like destroying a good chunk of the deck and hull.

I doubt they will though as they would have to rework all the ships ingame to do it and I don't think they want to put that kind of time and effort into something that it seems most players are content with.

There already was a very similar topic with the admin's rebuttal:

De Lotherbourg

French ship captured during Glorious first of June - - this guy made a full sketchbook after a battle but only 1 of them is available online.

mpsh5Hr.jpg

note how high are they above water without masts supplies and cannons.

John Livesay

Temeraire stern damage after Trafalgar

x8X88CV.jpg

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4541-visual-damage/

While i also would like to see some ideas proposed in that topic (tesselation for a bit more visual board damage, and especially rigging damage modelling) what we have now is a pretty good approximation. We may just need to overthink our preconceptions about how a ship suffers damage.

I think the damage is good. You see the cannon holes, You see sail damage. You can blast down masts and bow sprits. Its very nice so far and I am sure it can only get better....

I've only ever taken down a mast once, but the cheer that went up from my crew was ace!

• Like 1

Wow, those videos from the test of USS Niagara was eye opening. Does that mean that the damage inflicted in the game needs to be more severe, especially against the crew?

There has been a lot of discussion on the amount of damage, inflicted by different calibers, using different projectiles, while hitting different types of planking, from different angels. The devs have done their homework on the topic and (as can be seen in some of the old post discussing this) are by now pretty educated on the subject.

Right now, we have a compromise between historic accuracy (or at least a reasonable approximation of what different people think is historically accurate) and gameplay. If you want, you can read the most recent discussion thread on the topic.

~Brigand

In my short amount of gaming NA, I've seen a decent amount of sail damage with little to no hull damage (despite sinking the ships I've engaged).  I'd like to see a good bit more on the damage front, particularly given the small scale of the engagements in NA.