Game-Labs Forum

Night and storm battles

Its just a thought but i would like it that if you engage an enemy in a storm or at night , the battle should be the same... I would love to fight night battles with the flash of guns and the sterns of the ship all lit up...and those huge lanterns on the stern glowing.

The game is visually stuning as is but i think night battles would just be amazing

regards 

ragnar hairy trousers

• Like 11

Many in the past have argued against night battles and some even disliked the storm battle, I on the other hand want both. The problem is in its implementation. They should be rare events. Storms could easily be linked to open sea storms which are rare in themselves. Thats simple enough. Shallows are supposed to be introduced into instances mimicking coasts and shallows in the OS at the point of the tag. Thats easy enough but night battles are much more difficult. Night battles would happen 50 percent of the time and I think that would be to much and irritate to many if it was linked to OS night/day cycles. So night battles would be more arbitrary if random which could cause irritation as well. I hope they choose to play around with night battles.

Since we have instances, the game can fudge the timeline to make night battles rare.

If we engage at dusk, the battle is considered to begin immediately, giving us a sunset instance. If we engage at midnight, the server can pretend that the ships took until dawn to come into range and engage.

As a result, you only have night battles if you engage from 9pm to 12pm. That's 12.5% of battles.

• Like 1