Game-Labs Forum

Permanent modules

Here is an idea.  How about they way modules work is modified? 

Ships will come either with or without installed modules.  All ships will have between 2-5 module slots max (down from the max 8 right now).  The player can then install modules to the ship if there are any module slots left. 

There will be two different subtypes of modules.  Ship modification modules and crew modification modules.  Ship modification modules cannot be removed from the ship without the module being destroyed.  This will stop me from swapping the copper plating on my lynx and moving it to my Coni.

Crew modification modules should be able to be added or removed freely because they aren't changes done to the ship but are different crew management options.

However, if your ship sinks, you should lose all crew modification modules, while the ship modification modules are not lost unless you have 0 durability.  If you surrender, you get to keep your crew modification modules even if you have 0 durabilities.  If you surrender and have any durabilities left, you get to keep your ship modification modules as well, otherwise they are lost when you lose the ship at 0 durabilities.

• Like 5

I would much rather have permanent modules removed entirely and have ship quality (ie fine, common, exceptional) be based on how many module expansion slots it has. 1 for basic 2 for common ect. It is a simpler system but removes the stacking of mods of a particular type making a hard limit for when it comes to something like speed mods being one exceptional speed trim and exceptional copper plating. 

i do however like the idea of losing your mods when you sink but keeping your ship. This will still put some value in exception modules and have a sense of loss associated with sinking. Although you could also have your modules just drop down a rank when suck as well (go from Fine to common for example) 

Edited by Muinko
  • Like 2

i do however like the idea of losing your mods when you sink but keeping your ship. This will still put some value in exception modules and have a sense of loss associated with sinking. Although you could also have your modules just drop down a rank when suck as well (go from Fine to common for example) 

I'd much prefer that our modules have durabilities as well. So if you sink in a ship with 5 dura's on, your ship will loose a Dura and so will your modules. 

If sinking once meant, no matter what, that i'd loose my "exceptional" module. Then i personally would never equip that exceptional module and if i did i would make sure to NEVER engage in a fight with a risk of loosing. 

- Ergo, it would make me afraid of slightly uneven battles. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Prater; There will be two different subtypes of modules.  Ship modification modules and crew modification modules.  Ship modification modules cannot be removed from the ship without the module being destroyed.  This will stop me from swapping the copper plating on my lynx and moving it to my Coni.

Crew modification modules should be able to be added or removed freely because they aren't changes done to the ship but are different crew management options.

However, if your ship sinks, you should lose all crew modification modules, while the ship modification modules are not lost unless you have 0 durability.  If you surrender, you get to keep your crew modification modules even if you have 0 durabilities.  If you surrender and have any durabilities left, you get to keep your ship modification modules as well, otherwise they are lost when you lose the ship at 0 durabilities.

- I do like the sounds of the above. Would atleast be interesting to try out such a system in my opinion. 

---------------------------------------------

2nd Quote Prater; Ships will come either with or without installed modules.  (.....) The player can then install modules to the ship if there are any module slots left. 

- This would make sense to me, especially when crafting is implemented. 

-----------------------------------------

Whether the limit of modules should be 1, 5 or 8, i'm not sure. 

I like the idea of ship modules being for one ship only. I like the crew side as well. As far as when one should lose modules, I would like to see what they are planning for crafting\economy. I could see people being afraid to risk exceptionals depending on cost\ease of replacement.

Hi,

If crafting gets introduced this would be interesting way to customize your ship, although it could be implemented sooner.

Way beter than sailing all across the caribean looking for that fine ship with the perfect combinations on it.

Stacking modules should be forbidden tho, otherwise a lot of ships will be customized in the same way.

For example: trincs and connies with speed mods.

Bellonas with loads of extra hammocks, so a flag captain can sail it with almost full crew.

Grtzzz Bubbles

Did anyone like the POTBS outfit systems having 6 permenant upgrade slots to outfit how u wanted but they do get destroyed after sinking then having 3 general upgrade slots the will drop back to hold when sunk, i quite like this system with altering our ships this way, we could double up on the outfits we wanted but it was restricted to 2 hull slots, 2 sail and 2 guns then general just enhanced certain areas also and could not be doubled. Would that be a kinda system to make at some point?

I like some of these suggestions. I am aware that when you get a 'special' ship you are reluctant to lose it because it cant be replaced easily. So, I agree that permanent modules (copper bottom, rudder and armor mods) are lost with the ship, but in order to encourage people to take risks, these ships/upgrades should be more readily available in shops. They can be made expensive as long as they are readily available. I also agree with the surrender mode allowing you to retain crew modules, however, unless there is an upside (or downside) to encourage the attacker to accept the surrender, what is there preventing him from sinking you just to destroy your mods and create maximum grief ?

I have various ideas:

We need different size of modules. Is not the same a module in a yatch than in a bellona. You need much more copper/plankes/canvas/wood/rope/hammocks... for a Victory than a cutter.

For example if I have a optimized rudder in a connie, I can "plug&play" that rudder in another connie for few work and gold. But if I want adapt that rudder in a trinco o other similar inferior ship, any carpenter in shipyard can make a few modifications to adapt. If you want put that rudder in a bellona you can add some wood and gold for adapt but you lose a level of rudder module quality.

The same for reinforced rudder, lightweight ropes and blocks, reinforced mast, and similar modules that change removable and non-integral with ship construction. 

Copper plating once put in a ship, the copper can be quit and used for plating another ship or meltdown for make new module. In this case, you can use copper for plating various smaller ships.

Modules like optimized magazine access, extra planking and reinforced bow or stern planking and speed/turning trim once installed they go with the ship forever and losed if you quit. and you can recover some wood or materials from them.

Crew modules you can change free from a ship to another when the ships are same class, reduced the buff if you put them in a bigger ship or divided in various if you changed to smaller ships.

For example grey hammocks, marines complement or powder monkeys gives you 10 men the grey module, 20 green, 40 blue... but the ships have a hard limit of crew and you can divide one yellow module in various inferior modules.

And give to player ranks ability for extra crew the ships based in rank privileges. For every level of rank you command a inferior ship (commodore commanding a Surprise for example), you add a % of crew automatically. But I had read that in navy rules a minimun coy space (14 inches I think) was guarantee for every sailor and you need maintain that crew limit for every ship. Overcrewed ships can have a light speed penalty for overweight too. And more crew, more hold space for food and water in long travels when implemented.

Another idea is make a module for add extra weight cannons reinforcing the ship estructure. You reinforce the ship and you obtain of more weighted cannons and more HP points to hull, but you obtain less speed and turning for overweight and the distribution the crew for manning that bigger gun. More crew for bigger gun is less crew for sails. If you put too heavy guns in a ship, you can broke a beam or something like that (HP loss and hull breach every gunshot) too.