Game-Labs Forum

Lookouts - "ahoy, deck!"

I've done a fair amount of long-distance, open sea travelling.  I like it -- the map scale, the transit speed, the port distances -- all seem about right to me.

(As discussed elsewhere, I think the only issues are the speed of the wake animation, and the over-steering on turning).

The best thing about the size of the map, is that it may allow people to go places where there aren't bullies, or where the type of player/game they want to interact with can be found.   Sailing a distance is an investment of time.

What might make it better:  A lookout at the masthead.

In other words:  While sailing a long distance, I'd like to be able to tell my crew to inform me when one or more of the following occurs:

1. Any ship sighted.

2. Any ship sighted which is on a converging course.

3. Any land sighted.

4. Any land sighted forward of the beam (especially if/when damage from grounding is implemented)

5. Any new land sighted (land masses that weren't visible when the command was given.  This may be too hard to do well.)

The signals should be:

1. For ships, a drumbeat

2. For land, perhaps a whistle, like the reload bos'n whistle.

(Not a verbal recording, please)

If not these, then at least let me know audibly if I have grounded or am being attacked.

This would allow me to sail far without having to keep my eyes glued to the screen.  

Of course, these should be able to be turned off.  But, I am thinking less of a background sound effect and more of a "here are my orders" function.

Pros, Cons?

• Like 5

There was another thread which suggested other spoken sound and the concern was that the voiceacting may become annoying if you hear it the thousandth time..

Just to throw it in.

and until now the HUD is all about minimalistic but effective (at least its the devs vision)

There was another thread which suggested other spoken sound and the concern was that the voiceacting may become annoying if you hear it the thousandth time..

Just to throw it in.

and until now the HUD is all about minimalistic but effective (at least its the devs vision)

I am also against adding voice acting to this game. Sound signals are better.