Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

Since a LOT of the calculations on the game are server based I highly doubt there will be private servers while gamelabs is running NavalAction.

By what do you mean "calculations"?  Player statistics, advancement, or in-game money?  Or do you mean ship position, ballistics, hits, damage, etc?

If the later (ballistics...), it is no different from running a private/public flight simulator server for public consumption.  If the former, then a 'master server' could handle that aspect as well from shared data connection.  Again, this is already being accomplished with combat flight simulators we host on our squad's server, where the devs have a master server to control DRM, account statistics, DLC, etc.

Please don't get me wrong, the devs can choose what they want to do with regard to control over their product, but there is no technological limitation on private/public server, and any server/master server config is certainly possible.  What allowing private/public servers does is give different groups the option of playing the simulator the way they want, i.e. with different settings such as 'easy targeting mode', icons off or on, etc.

• Like 1

Hey there, I'm new here, had visited a friend who showed this to me while I was visiting and it looks pretty great. (Too bad you guys pulled aggro on paypal. Guess I'll just wait for the Steam early access)

My question.

From looking around the forums a little, it looks like this game ranges from the 1600s-1800s era sailing ships. How far will the game extend though, because I can't find dates for where you're setting the bar.

Like for example, will the game in the future extend all the way up to possibly, early steam ships? Maybe even the ironclads (if it were for an event or such)? Or perhaps up until the last steam gunboats of the late 1800s, just before dreadnought.

Second question, since this is going to be an "Open world" type game. How will 1 progress in the open world aspect up to newer ships? Will you possibly have to make trade runs between ports to earn money. These different trade hubs being a driving factor for player PVP. Will we be able to modify our ships to an extent (better guns, different ammos, perhaps even modify the ship istelf to allow for more armor or guns or possibly cargo space?)

Bacically are we going to play the open world like an elite dangerous/freelancer/Eve Online, set during the age of sail? (cause I'm not gonna lie, that sounds pretty awesome to me).

Edit. Fixed the horrible typing.

• Like 1

Naval action is always going to cost you some money to get the game. Once you have it you never have to pay again.

Its not a free to play title.

So if i understand right the pay system of Naval Action will be BuyToPlay. Is it 100% info?

So if i understand right the pay system of Naval Action will be BuyToPlay. Is it 100% info?

It is currently. But to be honest, I have no idea how the devs are going to maintain all the infrastructure needed for running an open world MMO game in a "buy to play" mode.

• Like 1

It is currently. But to be honest, I have no idea how the devs are going to maintain all the infrastructure needed for running an open world MMO game in a "buy to play" mode.

Every new map's can be as new updates and have some prise) I think it's honest

Guild Wars 2 model is self sufficient if done right. Store will provide extra revenue by selling premium ships, life comfort or cosmetic items. Also the price for the game will go up.

Like for example, will the game in the future extend all the way up to possibly, early steam ships? Maybe even the ironclads (if it were for an event or such)? Or perhaps up until the last steam gunboats of the late 1800s, just before dreadnought.

Second question, since this is going to be an "Open world" type game. How will 1 progress in the open world aspect up to newer ships? Will you possibly have to make trade runs between ports to earn money. These different trade hubs being a driving factor for player PVP. Will we be able to modify our ships to an extent (better guns, different ammos, perhaps even modify the ship istelf to allow for more armor or guns or possibly cargo space?)

1) No steam ships and no ironclads. As a separate game in the future - maybe. But not here.

2) You will have to make trade runs, combat npc's or other players, capture their ports and hear lamentations of their women. You will also be able to modify your ships.

What s the reason for the position of the period in which ships do have chance to get introduced in the game and where is the reason not to inroduce older ships if you had the blueprints for them?

And will in the final game be an option to put out some guns so that you have more cargospace and such modifications?

Thanks alot for answering

What s the reason for the position of the period in which ships do have chance to get introduced in the game and where is the reason not to inroduce older ships if you had the blueprints for them?

And will in the final game be an option to put out some guns so that you have more cargospace and such modifications?

Thanks alot for answering

1670-1820 is preffered if you go earlier you will get more and more problems finding plans.

and the perfromance of said vessels.

you can deside allready what guns you are taking with you on wich deck.

mor eoptions will come over time

Hello.

I want to ask the Devs how much Level of Detail the Interior of a Ship gets?

As it is right now there is some sort of Hitpoints on the Ship. Penetrationmodell yes but with lots of abstraction.

Can we see a modelling of Splinters after a Projectile hits the Object? Like hitting the Hull and generates splinters that fly around inside the Ship

hurting Crew, striking Riggs, Cannons, Officers etc?

Really looking forward to it. So that even small Caliber Shots can have a chance with a well aimed lucky shot can take out something important on the enemy Ship. Hitting Masts and taking them out and shots on the Waterline are definatly going in the right direction.

So how much level of Detail is planned regarding Ship Interior and Damage Model?

Hello Devs.

As we are currently in a phase where, I understand the point is to finalize the combat/damage model; and thus are all contently blasting away at each other, is there any thought being given to using this same development process to create and test advanced sailing procedures, and let them loose for the customers to test.  Developers then gain feed back, refine, and then move on to other aspects of the game?

As a simple customer not knowledgeable on programing or the marketing of computer simulation games, my thought was that you could create an ocean area, or multiple areas as we now have with the combat areas with functioning islands, ports, shallows, reefs, rocky shoals and sandbars, piers and jetties, depths within and beyond anchor limits, wind shadows created by island and land masses, navigable rivers and estuaries, beaches. villages and small port towns, and numerous other environment based forms, then let the customers loose in this area to test, and refine such sailing based features as...

1.  Small boat operations (ship to ship boarding and transfers, combat operations such as cutting out operations, amphibious landings of Marines or ships company...or pirates, small boat ship to shore or ship to pier transfers, kedging and small

boat towing of ships, use of oars and sweeps on vessels so equipped, etc.)

Yes?  No?  Maybe?

2.  Operation of ships of all sizes and drafts in shallow/dangerous waters (differential damage caused by running aground on rocks, sand bottom, refloat operations, operation of cutters, yachts, small boys in shallows where big boys

fear to tread or do so only very cautiously)

3.  Navigating and sailing based on observed environmental clues (waves surging over a slightly exposed reef, high and low tides, navigating by landmarks or maps)

4.  Realistic (and instructional) ship anchoring and mooring (pretty challenging in any vessel, but especially in a sailing vessel), to include docking, dragging anchors, cutting/slipping anchors in desperate situations.

5.  Might be a good arena to test variable weather and night effects (sail and mast damage when too much set in gales or storms, fog and limited visibility, calms, variable wind directions and shifting wind speeds visual based signaling systems such as lanterns, torches, flags, flares, rockets)

You've done such a great job so far with Naval Action, that I sense that the current customers believe that your crew have the skills and drive that you can create the true Gold Standard game of the Age of Sail.

I would like to see the same level of refinement put into the sailing elements of Naval Action as we have seen so far put in to the combat aspects of the game.  The creation of such and "Sailing Area" would give new players someplace to learn how to safely (yet with some degree of danger and excitement present from the environment) operate the beautiful and wonderfully complete sailing vessel that have been provided to them.  This would help us all learn, and be better immersed  into the time period presented in Naval Action.  It would also make players value their ships! and not foolhardily risk them.  I realize the purpose of the current Alpha is to test and refine combat, and I am loving it.  I think that the advanced sailing aspect of the "Age of Sail" deserve the same level of attention as the combat modeling has received.

What do you think?  Great game.  For me, money well spent.

Dean (poosd) 

I had someone ask me if this game supports UHD/4K resolution. Does anyone know?

The resolution isn't locked, so the game will be playable in 4K if the computer supports it - it wasn't tested tough. But it works on 2800*1800 (Retina screen).

Hi!

Absolutely pointless now, but do you plan to add/enable some kind of Ambient Occlusion to the graphic engine?

Thanks for your hard work!

Unity has Ambient Occlusion, so it is there.

2)  Is there any support planned for TrackIR?  It would make looking around for situational awareness much easier rather than mousing the pan view.

It's not in the current plans, but it might be tested if there are more requests.

Are you guys going to change from unity to unreal engine  ? 

Because I noticed a trend lately 4/5 indie games I bought changed from Unity to Unreal 4. 

Unreal engine isn't planned.

hello good afternoon, they will put animals in whales or squid, for boats so we can plan to market??

At a much later stage, just for the beauty.

I want to ask the Devs how much Level of Detail the Interior of a Ship gets?

Ship interiors would take too much resources currently. But they could be developped if funded (later).

1670-1820 is preffered if you go earlier you will get more and more problems finding plans.

and the perfromance of said vessels.

you can deside allready what guns you are taking with you on wich deck.

mor eoptions will come over time

It s harder to find blueprints but i wanted to know if there is any other reason for not introducing these other than the lack of blueprints and plans ?

thanks for the answer

Ship interiors would take too much resources currently. But they could be developped if funded (later).

So there isnt anything planned atm. Any funding Goal to reach so we can get that? What is that Limit? You are satisfied so far with Pre-Orders?

It s harder to find blueprints but i wanted to know if there is any other reason for not introducing these other than the lack of blueprints and plans ?

thanks for the answer

well the ships themself are a problem, take the Prince Willem as example it looks big you would normally think it would be a nice 4th rate but nope 32guns

shipbuilding advanced rather quickly after around 1650 that the ship befor would be hopelessly outclassed unless put into another seperate game.

1650-1820 covers most importan naval battles and war's. unless you want that old galleon from Portugal with 366 cannons and max speed of 7knots at all costs ;)

Question to DEVS not mods:

Will the game when its released be like World of Warships or will it be an Open World game?

Just do a little research.

From the game's webstie:

OPEN WORLD PROTOTYPE

We are continuing development of the open world prototype.

Naval Action will feature one of the largest sandbox maps in history of age of sail games. You will be able to write your own story by building the trading or military empires for their nations or guilds. Because game will not have levels or classes you will have full control over your fate and character development.

Also, here are the plans from now to the spring as they wrote here.

Hello Captains.

Here are our development plans for this winter and spring: Jan-May 2015. 

1. New ship models

The following list of vessels will be delivered for testing by the end of Spring. Some ships might get delayed by storms.

• Mercury brig
  • La belle poule
  • Ingermanland
  • La Renomme
  • Privateer Schooner (based on Lynx - with more guns)
  • Brig Navy Edition (based on Brig - with more guns)
  • HMS Pickle
  • 28 gun light frigate
  • Gunboat

2. Open world distance and speeds testing

3. Ship customization

• Ship parameters randomization
  • Simple ship upgrades
  • Simple loot
  • Simple crafting

4. Gameplay

• Updated damage model 4.0
  • Improved sailing of for-and-aft rigs
  • Better turning and rudder mechanics
  • Commander tablet
  • New game types: Operations gameplay – 24 hours large battle map with respawns, and shore defences

5. Other improvements

• Improved chat
  • Manual
  • Soft launch of early access on steam

Just do a little research.

From the game's webstie:

Also, here are the plans from now to the spring as they wrote here.

Sorry Didn't know you was a Dev. It also seems to me that "PROTOTYPE" means that its not garunteed to be in the final release. Also my thread being locked about it wasn't a good sign of transparency from the studio. If people are buy the game and it turns out not to be open-world then there will be a lot of angry customers because that's what they were expecting.

Sorry Didn't know you was a Dev. It also seems to me that "PROTOTYPE" means that its not garunteed to be in the final release. Also my thread being locked about it wasn't a good sign of transparency from the studio. If people are buy the game and it turns out not to be open-world then there will be a lot of angry customers because that's what they were expecting.

1) The topic was not deleted. It was locked but everyone can see it and read it. Thus transparent.

2) In that topic we said - assume the worst. We actually said it a lot of times before as well. Assume the worst from any developer and don't preorder if you don't want to help them

Sorry Didn't know you was a Dev.

One doesn't need to be a dev to answer already answered questions.

It also seems to me that "PROTOTYPE" means that its not garunteed to be in the final release.

That's not what prototype means. Prototype means an earlier version of a product, from which the product can be further developed.

Furthermore, immediatly below the sentence "We are continuing development of the open world prototype.", the developer also says: "Naval Action will feature one of the largest sandbox maps in history of age of sail games.". Which is pretty conclusive.

1) The topic was not deleted. It was locked but everyone can see it and read it. Thus transparent.

2) In that topic we said - assume the worst. We actually said it a lot of times before as well. Assume the worst from any developer and don't preorder if you don't want to help them

The thing is if you have it on your website and promise it as a fundemental game mechanic and fail to deliver then that can be considered false advertising. It's happened lots of times in the past. Just look at the backlash against The War Z studio for example.

Not saying this is your intention but I'd be very disapointed if I bought the game for $40 and when the game releases it turns out to be an online multiplayer combat game cashcow something akin to world of tanks with microtransactions, prerendered maps, matchmaking  and no openworld.

I just really hope the features on the website are an accurate representation of what the finished product will be like. If that is the case then I will be happy to buy the game now.

@Thundershield This thread is for question to DEVS.

Your thread being locked had nothing to do with non-transparent developement, it straight up did not have a real purpose. We are in a very early stage of developement, we are just testing small portions of the game. It's far from being done, and while you may be concerned about the game's future there is nothing out there that I'd know off that would really comply to your fears.

Of course, you always should be careful when buying a game that still is in a very early developement stage (in this case, Alpha), but at the same time you should be aware of the risk of being disappointed by a game WHEN you do it. You bought the game before it was done, so it is you taking the risk of not getting delivered what was originally promissed or planned. So you should make up your mind BEFORE you buy into an early access/alpha version of a game.

The thing is if you have it on your website and promise it as a fundemental game mechanic and fail to deliver then that can be considered false advertising. It's happened lots of times in the past. Just look at the backlash against The War Z studio for example.

Not saying this is your intention but I'd be very disapointed if I bought the game for $40 and when the game released online multiplayer combat game cashcow like warthunder with microtransactions, prerendered maps, matchmaking  and no openworld.

Again, I just can't see where you are coming from. A first iteration of the open world is planned to be opened for testing in spring, so far the devs always had an open ear for the community and have been honest about their work.

And again, the risk of being disappointed always exists, if you don't trust the developer to deliver on their promises, you should maybe wait some time and see how developement progresses over the next few months. Only time can tell if we will get everything that was promised.

• Like 1