Game-Labs Forum

January News - USS Constitution launched

This is not a world we are building - remember defeated player in 19th center was allowed to keep his sword, and had dinner with the victorious captain.

Honor and Captain's word - was something people kept and were proud of. 

can we have this please at some point ? :3

Having a complex and deep mechanics in the game does not mean it should be hostile to rookies. Rookie must have a chance to defend himself, and have a decent chance to win because of sheer bravery for example.

Also (some people might not like this statement of ours) we don't like EvE as a place to live in.

CCP does nothing about actively promotes tear extracting business, scamming, trolling, stealing, lying, killing corpmates, trolling and humiliating enemies. There are great people and clans in EvE, but most often you hear about EvE in regards of some corporate theft, which is considered awesome gameplay.  

This is not a world we are building - remember defeated player in 19th center was allowed to keep his sword, and had dinner with the victorious captain.

One of the things we like EVE is its crafting and trading.

Excellent news.     My only problem with EVE, as a rookie was, it just wasn't interesting enough to play for more than a few hours.   I never even got to the scamming and thieving, that might have been interesting.

That we will try very hard to keep. Some of our team members met in POTBS ;) - seriously. 

That is so cool!! My soc also was created in POTBS, and now we play all games together as SnD (Seek and Destroy). lol...Our guys are waiting on this game to continue a fight on the open seas.

"Having a complex and deep mechanics in the game does not mean it should be hostile to rookies. Rookie must have a chance to defend himself, and have a decent chance to win because of sheer bravery for example.

Also (some people might not like this statement of ours) we don't like EvE as a place to live in.

CCP does nothing about actively promotes tear extracting business, scamming, trolling, stealing, lying, killing corpmates, trolling and humiliating enemies. There are great people and clans in EvE, but most often you hear about EvE in regards of some corporate theft, which is considered awesome gameplay.  

One of the things we like EVE is its crafting and trading." 

(Sorry, somehow I lost the quote box...)

I like this frame of mind very much.

I also played POTBS for many years and dabble in Eve now and I'd like to throw my two cents in about something that I found a bit vexing in both....the aforementioned griefing and gank squads.

I do surely understand that the game will and must have an element of risk and opportunities for PvP combat.  But surely in POTBS, I found it more than a little tedious that there was always (and I do mean always) a tricked out goon squad of uber-outfitted 15 year olds that camped EVERY circle.

Unless you wanted to go everywhere in maxed out full groups, you had to stay away from the red zones.  As a player that never had the time to farm resources for an unlimited supply of frigates (which were irrelevant without a group of others to be your wingmen), I found my PvP time limited because I could rarely find a fair fight. 

Arguably, war is about being unfair to the maximum extent practical.  But it certainly detracts from the fun when it is continually so; hence the usual ingame proscriptions against camping, sniping, etc.

Eve is largely the same from my little experience.

Personally, I would love to see this game consider the lone frigate captain and the commerce raider as much as those who prefer life in the line of battle. :-)

Deacon 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Piracy, Flying False Colours, Sailing under letters of Marque. All good, all relevant. Whilst we are aiming, I believe, for a balance between realistic sim and game, there needs to be interest for anyone, whatever path they should choose. But for every action there must be consequences, good or bad. A pirate for example who is defeated would expect, were his ship not sunk in combat, to have it scuttled or taken as prize. Whichever way the flip flops he loses his ship, possibly some other assets, provisions, money, men, stores etc and his liberty. Now all of these but for liberty are permanent. The liberty could be limited to, say, 24 hours IRL.