Game-Labs Forum

Sans Pareil 1793, 80-gun third rate (plans)

Darius

Le Sans Pareil.

General plans by Sané, 80-gun of the second part. 1787-1800.

1790-1794 for the French Navy.

182' 6"; 47'; 23' 6"

1st deck gun : 30-gun of 36 -pdr

2nd deck gun : 32-gun of 24-pdr

Forecastle : 18-gun of 12-pdr and 6 howitzer of 36-pdr

total : 86-gun.

Its nice but i would really want to see temeraire class first

We already have a 74 ship of the line.

I think 3rd Rates are my favorite types of SoLs, so the more of them, the better, IMO. :P

I'd especially like to see a Tonnant-class and/or a Bucentaure-class ship in-game, just because they're the most heavily armed (number of guns-wise) two-deckers that I know of. 

Le Suffren, l'Hercule, and others are design of the Commission of the Paris of 1824.

Sané was part of the commission. Just for validate the plans (with other).

The ships of the Commission are very different to Sané-Borda type.

I think we have another one in the timeframe : the 90 guns Suffren class designed in 1824. Then we had the 100 guns Hercule class, some of the biggest two decker ever built.

*Wikipedia search*

The Suffren-class ships look like three-deckers to me, judging by this model...

1280px-Suffren_mg_9446.jpg

And the Hercule-class ships were kinda late for this game, as far as I know. (Sorry for probably bringing up the timeline debate again, but 1836 sounds a bit late for this game, from what I've read on here.)

Besides, they both have that late flush-deck design, which I find pretty ugly. :P

Edited by Arvenski

Le Sans Pareil.

General plans by Sané, 80-gun of the second part. 1787-1800.

1790-1794 for the French Navy.

182' 6"; 47'; 23' 6"

1st deck gun : 30-gun of 36 -pdr

2nd deck gun : 32-gun of 24-pdr

Forecastle : 18-gun of 12-pdr and 6 howitzer of 36-pdr

total : 86-gun.

Out of curiosity, how effective were those howitzers, compared to standard cannons or carronades of the same caliber? I barely know anything about the howitzers of that time; they seem to me like an odd choice of weapon in this case. What was it about them that made them preferable, in this instance, to just carrying 6 more cannons or carronades?  

Out of curiosity, how effective were those howitzers, compared to standard cannons or carronades of the same caliber? I barely know anything about the howitzers of that time; they seem to me like an odd choice of weapon in this case. What was it about them that made them preferable, in this instance, to just carrying 6 more cannons or carronades?  

Took the French a while to replicate carronades successfully, they substituted howitzers in the meanwhile.

Le Suffren and L'Hercule are two deckers (and not three decks !). She have a complete third battery because in 1822, the French have assembled the "Forecastles" (gaillard d'avant et gaillard d'arrière in french) on the spar deck of their ships and frigates.

For example, a french 118-gun (le Wagram) in the 1830s :

wagram10.jpg

We see that this ship have a complete fourth battery :)

Edited by Charles-René Magon