Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.4 Feedback<<< (1.4.1.1 Opt x2 latest version)

Nick Thomadis

Along with other folk I have been pondering why the AI is pretty easy to beat in battle.   Even when their tech is good and equal, and ship designs are fair to good.

Someone else suggested that it was due to the constant target switching.   Related to this is the (seems outrageous) benefit to 'finding the range'.   

Suggest tuning the AI target switching loop, and ensuring rationale target selection.   An AI BB need not waste its shells on a dodging human destroyer line, that is what the AI light ships are for.   And the AI should hang on to a target quite a lot more.

Also the 'range found' bonus could be tuned down a fair bit.   To be at 34K with a 50% hit rate is pretty outrageous, not conducive to an immersive experience.

In a fair game with pretty equal tech and fair ship designs all around, it should just not be possible to sink the entire enemy fleet with zero losses.   Or to run a campaign and end up with say 14 total ship losses over 50 years.    It would be a shock to fight AI where you just cant get a complete victory, where the odds of hits and so on balance between sides.   I admit, I am used to winning by absurd margins all the time.   But I could get used to ship losses on an expected regular basis.

• Like 4

Lately, I've been encountering a bug with formations. It happens when the leader of a formation is hit and falls back.

Sometimes, it seems when the other members of the formation also have some damage, the leader falls back and control is passed to a second ship, but since that ship also has damage, the control is then passed to a third ship, and so on, continuously.

The situation devolves into a furball of ships continuously taking the lead and falling back, without chance of recovery, becoming uncontrollable.

Has anyone else encountered this?

(I also submitted a bug report ingame.)

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 1:27 AM, Scorpion said:

Lately, I've been encountering a bug with formations. It happens when the leader of a formation is hit and falls back.

Sometimes, it seems when the other members of the formation also have some damage, the leader falls back and control is passed to a second ship, but since that ship also has damage, the control is then passed to a third ship, and so on, continuously.

Ive seen this for a while now. Since the first patch in january, perhaos even the one before christmas

Weird bug I noticed. I've got this ship design that is $3.5B, and I built a bunch of them. When I run out of crew the new construction gets mothballed until crew is available.

My allies will offer to buy the mothballed ships, as they do, but they'll offer to buy them for, like, $250M, and the popup will say this is -30% or so off the build price, which is... like... a misplaced decimal point?

I am being a bit repetitious here.

Fleet tactics involve going from line ahead to to line abreast, and back again, via 'altogether' simultaneous turns.   Like Fighting Steel lo these many years ago.  And real life.

It is just SO clumsy to have to take for eg a DD division in line ahead, remove all ships from the division, turn them one by one manually toward the enemy, charge in, then launch and retreat.  I have tried reassembling the division right as you get them all more or less in line just after retreating but chaos is the usual outcome.

Just a micromanage mess.   So you end up with this bizarre DD attack where they all 'round the corner', in line, and launch one after another or at weird timings based on when they get a solution because to turn them altogether means dissolving the division, so you just do what 'the line' allows you.   

Lots and lots of situations where to turn on 'line of bearing' (is the term I believe) is used IRL but in game is not available.   Its fleet maneuvers 101 I think.

Is there any support for this?   Is it within reach of the remaining developer crew?   Its not like asking for multiplayer.....

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, kineu.a.hansen said:

one feature i love to see is the option of refit captured ships like if i got a battleship but it have a random secondary gun between the main guns or have thier main guns behind a barbette i love to be able to refit the ship

Agreed, I would actually take ships after winning a war.  Even if it was only a limited refit, or even it takes twice as long to refit captured ships

Edited by Narbar
  • Like 1

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>v1.4 Feedback<<< (1.4.1.1 Opt x2 latest version)

Uploaded optimized x2 version including the following
- Fixed some issues that were reported, causing ships to not be eligible to be constructed into a new refit version although they were available.
Please restart Steam to get this update properly. Users should not allow downloading of updates during gameplay because it may corrupt their installation. This is an advice not only for our game but any game.

• Like 7

On the topic of refits in general, I'd like it if we could design a refit for a ship in service from the 'Ships' screen. We can 'View' a ship from the list, but the options to design a refit of it or copy the design are greyed out.

I'd like this because a) I've inadvertently deleted a design of a class I had in use, thereby preventing me from building more of it or producing further refits and b) it would open up the door for me refitting war prize vessels.

I'd also like it if we could offer the use of our nation's shipyards to refit vessels belonging to our minor nation allies, mostly to avoid them generating missions using 1890s designs which I then have to deal with...

• Like 5

Can anyone explain, how exactly does research function in the current version? I mean, some time ago I was just setting research at 100% and tried not to focus on specific tech - so had a more or less reliable advance through the tech tree on par with AI or even making ahead of them.

Meanwhile in the current build I had a few instances of consistently to lag behind AI by ~10 years in the game despite doing just the same things I did before - max funds to research and no focus, which left me puzzled on the matter of how may I keep up with AI. Is research being affected by GDP or naval budget? Are there any new rules on the matter? I am puzzled because it looks quite inconsistent - if it is dependent on GDP and naval budget, then how the hell did AI USA end up "behind" in one of my runs?

Or may this be affected by game difficulty? I picked "Legendary" to help AI economies stay afloat no matter what preventing early state destruction by bankruptcy.

Edited by Deadpan_Alpaca

Technology research is indeed affected by naval budget (and therefore GDP). If you have your research slider at 100% funding it will take as much as possible from your naval budget, but if your naval budget is *bigger* then you can spend more and research faster. You’re quite correct that using the research focuses will slow overall progress, if the AI uses all three it will most likely fall behind. The last thing is tech spread and the ahead/behind mechanics. If you try to research a tech that’s much further ahead than the current year (in vanilla I think it is 10 years) the research cost doubles, and if it is a old tech (I think it’s 5 years in vanilla) research cost is halved. So it is possible to put the three focuses down, blast through the research and then hit the ahead penalty and the rest of your research drags (more of a problem for the AI than a player).

I might be remembering wrong but I think the AI gets a research boost on higher difficulties as well as extra cash

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, brothermunro said:

Technology research is indeed affected by naval budget (and therefore GDP). If you have your research slider at 100% funding it will take as much as possible from your naval budget, but if your naval budget is *bigger* then you can spend more and research faster. You’re quite correct that using the research focuses will slow overall progress, if the AI uses all three it will most likely fall behind. The last thing is tech spread and the ahead/behind mechanics. If you try to research a tech that’s much further ahead than the current year (in vanilla I think it is 10 years) the research cost doubles, and if it is a old tech (I think it’s 5 years in vanilla) research cost is halved. So it is possible to put the three focuses down, blast through the research and then hit the ahead penalty and the rest of your research drags (more of a problem for the AI than a player).

I might be remembering wrong but I think the AI gets a research boost on higher difficulties as well as extra cash

Oh, that sorta explains everything now - especially the last part about research boost. Game stays silent on the matter mentioning only economic boost so I had no way to guess the research effect as well. 

Probably better for me to drop it to just "hard" - "legendary" has the potential to become really legendary with AI ships of late 30-s in year 1920.

• Like 1

Can we get better control of when peace gets declared?

I spent months ramping up tensions with the USA in my current campaign, just for the game to decide that peace would occur after....two months. I didn't want peace. I wanted to invade the Continental USA. I wanted to stretch the war out to deal with economic issues. But the game went NOPE! have some peace, and I couldn't even demand anything meaningful from the USA because we can't demand key territories in peace deals.

I don't want you to just steal the war mechanics from games like EU4....but just steal the damned thing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

From my friend who plays the game a lot.
After the latest updates, two serious bugs were discovered in the game.
The first is the guns stopping firing, despite the rotating turrets, the presence of ammunition and the presence of an visible enemy. It is not particularly clear why this problem occurs. But it is known that it is solved by switching to a non-firing ship. You can see all this in the video.

The second is the penetration of shells into the deck (fore, main and aft) in situations where there simply cannot be any penetration. As can be seen in the screenshots, the battlecruiser struck the deck of the Spanish battleship from a distance of 12.5 km. But at the same time, the penetration of the battlecruiser shells at this distance is 6'', and the thickness of the armor of the battleship deck is 9.5''.

IMG-6677.jpg

IMG-6678.jpg

IMG-6679.jpg

IMG-6680.jpg

As someone who’s spent a lot of time trying to figure out the game’s penetration model I think I might know what’s happening here. Whilst it could be a bug more likely is that the game is reporting belt/deck hits in the log but they are actually superstructure hits which the log doesn’t report separately. At the range you were the enemy ship’s guns do have enough penetration to go through the 3.9” of superstructure armour your ship has. Hard to tell though for sure! I’d suggest up armouring your superstructure to match your deck armour and retesting to see if you get any pens that you think shouldn’t be possible.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 8:17 PM, AdmiralBert said:

Can we get better control of when peace gets declared?

I spent months ramping up tensions with the USA in my current campaign, just for the game to decide that peace would occur after....two months. I didn't want peace. I wanted to invade the Continental USA. I wanted to stretch the war out to deal with economic issues. But the game went NOPE! have some peace, and I couldn't even demand anything meaningful from the USA because we can't demand key territories in peace deals.

I don't want you to just steal the war mechanics from games like EU4....but just steal the damned thing.

You are only the First Lord of the Admiralty with an advisory vote. Issues of war and peace are decided in other offices. 😄

Ups:

params

622: war_min_duration,5,minimal amount of turns for war before any peace,5

Edited by vonPeretz

On 2/20/2024 at 8:00 AM, vonPeretz said:

You are only the First Lord of the Admiralty with an advisory vote. Issues of war and peace are decided in other offices. 😄

Ups:

params

622: war_min_duration,5,minimal amount of turns for war before any peace,5

I found if you have an ongoing invasion there ill be no peace.   

8 minutes ago, GrantK said:

I found if you have an ongoing invasion there ill be no peace.   

This is indeed one of the conditions that will prevent the peace event firing. As @vonPeretz said there is a 5 turn cooldown as well. The last condition is that one power must have at least 10,000 VP more than their adversary (this threshold is adjustable in params)