Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.2 - for UAD v1.5.1.3

o Barão

@Nick Thomadis taking into consideration what we talk a few weeks ago, now that the 1.3x updates is finished, it is possible to take some time to answer a few questions? Thanks in advance.

Most important:

1) The AI ship's deck armor values being used in game are too much for the mod. It is a waste of weight that could be better used in other areas in the design process. So the question is if there is a templates guidelines that the AI is using that I can have access to edit or is a specific value from the “params” file responsible for this?

2) Is it possible to increase the AI weight probability to use max bulkheads?

Optional, but still nice improvements if possible:

3) I tried and failed by editing the “stats” file, to add a penalty to guns reload if using ships with low freeboard in bad weather. The UI in the dockyard would glitch when hovering the “draught” stat. It is possible to add this penalty for all guns or only for the casemates if sailing in bad weather?

4) This is also related to the “stats” file, but is a tricky question. From a Drachinifel video.

From 18:54 – 22:19 I got the idea to make incredible stable ships, with wide beam and low freeboard to have a penalty in accuracy if sailing in bad weather. The problem is in the game there are two forces coming from opposite sides pushing towards the middle. It is a little strange to understand this.

First, there is the penalty from sea waves being applied to the Beam and Draught. In game the wider the beam and lower the freeboard the penalty from sea waves is less. So it should be a simple situation to revert this values to get what I want, however, in the stats' panel in the right, in Weapons / accuracy section we have the accuracy penalties modifiers from: weather, daytime, wind, waves and here we get the opposite effect. The wider the beam and lower the freeboard will give you worse penalties if sailing in bad weather. So what I want maybe is already in game but is implemented in a strange way I guess?

• Like 1

Can I add a Real Tower of Light Cruiser III to my Light Cruiser IV ship? It will be helpful for the production of the Kuma class and Nagara class.
Adding a triangular tower to Germany's modern Midship II also helps create an Admiral Hyperweight. (It's better to roll back 203mm model to old version :D)

Edited by Handam

47 minutes ago, Kerbo said:

Campaigns won't break right?

Only when are changes to the "technologies" or "parts" files, it is recommended to start a new campaign.

4 hours ago, Handam said:

Can I add a Real Tower of Light Cruiser III to my Light Cruiser IV ship? It will be helpful for the production of the Kuma class and Nagara class.
Adding a triangular tower to Germany's modern Midship II also helps create an Admiral Hyperweight. (It's better to roll back 203mm model to old version :D)

Yes, by editing in the "parts" file.

22 hours ago, o Barão said:

Can be three things.

1) It is a glitch in Matrix. Not joking, only happens when editing the "partsModels" Your changes to the guns will not be applied in game. When that happens, I found what would solve the issue was to replace those lines (in this case 4_x1;4_x2;4_3x) by the original data, and save. Check in game if everything is ok, and then go back and edit again the file. Deleting the custom file can also help. It is a new design, right?

2) You didn't change the order of the lines, correct?

3) You don't have another line below editing the same 4" guns for the Japanese BB, right?

image.thumb.png.9e36b7f506c0c70588dc27f22e55dc31.png

there really was a glitch in the matrix!! made it work using you tip thanks

i really did not like those dome turrets and these akizuki ones look better and are more flexible to work with

• Like 2

EDIT: Disregard, this was from my game version being v1.3.9.9R and Steam being slow with the game news updates.

---------

Getting a blue-grey screen when loading with the new resources.assets despite reinstalling the base game and deleting the temporary files and files in AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs. English.lng replaced with new version as well. Anything else I can do? Unmodded game loads fine.

Edited by dariusbei

4 hours ago, dariusbei said:

Anything else I can do? Unmodded game loads fine.

The answer is very simple, every time the game is updated by the devs, the mod also needs to be updated.

There was an update by the devs a few hours ago and because of this the mod will not work any more unless it is also updated to work with the new version, which I already did.

From the mod description, you can always read what is the current mod version and to what UAD version is compatible.

0.9.5.7 N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.9r.

Important note from the devs:

***We kindly ask you again to stop reporting bugs if you know you use a previous version of the game or you have modified the game in any way (cheats, mods, save edits). The reason is that a bug you created may seriously delay our work as we try to fix something that is not needed and may cause other bugs.***

Edited by o Barão

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. Alpha build 0.9.5.7 - for UAD v1.3.9.9r
  • o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. Alpha build 0.9.5.8 - for UAD v1.3.9.9rx2
1 hour ago, Kerbo said:

Would it be possible to increase the height of the the barbette on this tower so that a secondary gun can superfire above the french triple turret without colliding?

I can't. If I increase the size, it would be the entire component, not only the barbette. And I have casemates placements in that tower.

58 minutes ago, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

How do you pump out these updates so fast? 

These smaller updates from the devs are usually fair quickly to adapt by using a text compare software. The problem is when a major update is released, with new ships and components. Then it becomes a little nightmare, and it can take a week or more to make it work.

The worst situation I got, was when the language files were implemented. It changed how the games files are read, and I had to spend many days trying to understand how it worked and then how to convert the mod files. Other nasty situations are when the mod crash because I made an error in editing. If I was editing many files, then the situation can take a while until I found what was my error.

@o Barão Would it be possible for you to add some kind of suffix at the end of every tech name indicating if a tech is applicable straight away, if a ship needs upgrade to benefit, or if it's only applicable to ships built from scratch?

I am talking off my memory, doesn't have my computer in front of me and won't have from days, so I don't remember if we already have anything like that (and then we need to interpret the tech and what we need to do to benefit from it), but I think we don't, and something like:

(A)pplicable, (U)pgrade, (N)ew at the end of every tech title would indicate what you need to do to enjoy that tech. Or even a full line at the end of every tech description.

This is probably something that the game needs, rather than your mod, maybe Nick sees this.

Edited by bshaftoe
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BELEW848 said:

i wish i can run this with the balance mod with gun resizer 

The Balance Mod isn't even working at the moment. It's been a week and its still showing a grey screen on launch. Plus, I think this MOD has subs and the Balance Mod doesn't so I don't think they can be compatible.

Would it be possible to upload a version of this mod without submarines? they are really, really broken. I single one of them just snuck through 4 TBs with all the ASW techs and sunk one of my top of the line BBs. and it isn't the first time that this happens

Edited by Kerbo

14 hours ago, bshaftoe said:

@o Barão Would it be possible for you to add some kind of suffix at the end of every tech name indicating if a tech is applicable straight away, if a ship needs upgrade to benefit, or if it's only applicable to ships built from scratch?

I am talking off my memory, doesn't have my computer in front of me and won't have from days, so I don't remember if we already have anything like that (and then we need to interpret the tech and what we need to do to benefit from it), but I think we don't, and something like:

(A)pplicable, (U)pgrade, (N)ew at the end of every tech title would indicate what you need to do to enjoy that tech. Or even a full line at the end of every tech description.

This is probably something that the game needs, rather than your mod, maybe Nick sees this.

"(A)pplicable, (U)pgrade, (N)ew at the end of every tech title would indicate what you need to do to enjoy that tech. Or even a full line at the end of every tech description"

Yes, it is possible. And anyone can do it. The language files are available to all players in this location.

C:\.....\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data\StreamingAssets\Languages

By editing the description on all the lines that starts with "$technology_desc..."

In the English file from the mod, it will start at the line 2275.

6 hours ago, Kerbo said:

Would it be possible to upload a version of this mod without submarines? they are really, really broken. I single one of them just snuck through 4 TBs with all the ASW techs and sunk one of my top of the line BBs. and it isn't the first time that this happens

I don't do special versions to satisfy specif tastes from some players. What I can do, is telling you what you need to do to get what you want.

• Open resource.assets
  • Open the "submarines" txt file
  • Remove all the subs lines from the file and save.
  • Update resource.assets with the changes.
  • Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 9:28 AM, o Barão said:

"(A)pplicable, (U)pgrade, (N)ew at the end of every tech title would indicate what you need to do to enjoy that tech. Or even a full line at the end of every tech description"

Yes, it is possible. And anyone can do it. The language files are available to all players in this location.

C:\.....\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data\StreamingAssets\Languages

By editing the description on all the lines that starts with "$technology_desc..."

In the English file from the mod, it will start at the line 2275.

I don't do special versions to satisfy specif tastes from some players. What I can do, is telling you what you need to do to get what you want.

• Open resource.assets
  • Open the "submarines" txt file
  • Remove all the subs lines from the file and save.
  • Update resource.assets with the changes.

understandable, thanks

Hello, there seems to be a problem with Austro-Hungarian destroyer research. When researching 1100 ton Destroyer it doesn't unlock any hulls, but says it'll unlock Destroyer II, which unlocks only at 1300 tons. Is there any way to fix this myself if you are too tired after so many patches? Because that large torpedo boat hull is very limited in its capacity and normal hull unlocks very late