Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.4 - for UAD v1.5.1.6

o Barão

7 minutes ago, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

What year do people start this mod? How do you play in 1900 with 1% hit chances lol?

You need to take a screenshot with the mouse pointer above the target for me to understand what is happening.

48 minutes ago, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

Did ships in 1900 have a ~10% chance (minus range found bonus) to hit from a little over a mile away? 

In reality, they had less. If you read the mod description, and go to the "source" chapter, you will find a gunnery report from the battle of Santiago de Cuba. (1898)

And I am noticing that you have -15% crew quality. So yes what you have there (5% at 2.6km) is perfect normal in N.A.R.

9 hours ago, o Barão said:

Wait for the UAD 1.4 update. The devs will add interwar cruisers. Only then I will know what I can do. It is pointless to add towers now, when we can have better options in the next update.

Interwar cruisers would be amazing, do you have a link to where they say what's coming up in 1.4? I can't find it in the dev posts.

Edited by dariusbei

1 hour ago, o Barão said:

Download again the English file from the mod when that happens.

Well ya, but that would override what they put in the update and mess something else up. Doesn't it need to be merged?

Around 1920 in my 1910 German campaign I'm designing a new dreadnought 5 with 15 mk2 17.2in guns (largest that fit on the front tower), a long shot that it would fit sure, and when it doesn't i try the current common caliber i'm using, mk2 15.9, and I find it didn't reduce weight at all.

so i stuck a 17.2in gun on the front to compare directly, and with the mk, barrel caliber and armor all the same, the 17in gun weights the same or less! Is there a weight factor i missed?

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 1

New Horizons III reshade, released

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13_-C2R1V8l2_kuzFN0n-zpqt69zZ4qHb?usp=drive_link

Now with new presets for the player to choose.

5Y0GKcn.jpg

aNpnbjt.jpg

WbnAORR.jpg

Features:

• RTX Global illumination.

• 3 color scheme for the player to choose. All featuring a RTX version and a non RTX version for low-mid PCs, for a total of 6 options.

• Many tweaks to contrast; exposure, sharpness and colors.

Installation:

• Download “New Horizons III” folder.

• Place the content inside the folder in ….\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

• To remove the mod, just delete the files.

Shortcut keys in game:

• Home”-open/close reshade panel

• End”-enable/disable the effects

To change the color scheme:

• Press "Home" to open the panel.

• Use the "arrows" to change the preset you want to use.

Edited by o Barão

lmao well its a good thing i gave up on that dread 5 from the last post because the very next turn 'hull form optimization' unlocked and obsoleted that hull, the most advanced hull i had at that point. not only that it unlocked super battleship 1 and 2?

skipping any modernized dreads and modern battleships, strait to the largest super battleships in the game, unlocked in 1920. This is probably all stock game issues, maybe the intent of that research was too obsolete the now quite old dreadnought 3?

lets see, while I'm complaining about my german tech tree i noticed that the tooltip is at least saying i'm unlocking 22in torps when i haven't unlocked 21in, and so far stereoscopic unlocks before coincidence.

And in that nutty hull strengthening category, you unlock dread 3 on 'dreadnought improvements 2', and then 'hull strapping', 'reinforced longitudinal hull', and 'advanced structural steal' all unlock nothing, then 'lightweight fittings' unlock dread 4 and 5, and next 'hull form optimization' takes dread 5 away and gives you super battleships.

Interesting. just checked that in custom battles and you have dread 3,4,5 between 1919 to 1926, and in 1927 you have dread 5, and modern 1,2. In 1929 dread 5 is gone and the super battleships appear, just like what 'hull form optimization' causes in the campaign. something is screwy, and this isn't some ancient campaign its less than a week old.

40 minutes ago, Fangoriously said:

skipping any modernized dreads and modern battleships, strait to the largest super battleships in the game, unlocked in 1920. This is probably all stock game issues, maybe the intent of that research was too obsolete the now quite old dreadnought 3?

Stock game things, but at the same time not 100% unrealistic. Tillman designs and other huge design projects of the time period is the answer why you are seeing them in 1920.

"Kaneda battleship", a half a million tons project from 1914 I think, being the most insane.

0.9.4.6 N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.6r
  • English file updated
  • Bismarck guns model weight rebalanced.
Edited by o Barão

39 minutes ago, o Barão said:

Stock game things, but at the same time not 100% unrealistic. Tillman designs and other huge design projects of the time period is the answer why you are seeing them in 1920.

"Kaneda battleship", a half a million tons project from 1914 I think, being the most insane.

0.9.4.6 N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.6r
  • English file updated
  • Bismarck guns model weight rebalanced.

Why WOULDN'T my 1920 Germany that won the first world war be building super battleships? Of course they would lol.

Ya I was thinking of posting that all in the 1.3 thread, didn't think you touched those things. It will be interesting to see how things unlock next, the campaign unlocks are far a field, will i even get access to smaller modern battleships?

oh, and just unlocked modern torp boat, sadly it appears the tower has not been unlocked yet, at least i know thats yours.

1 hour ago, Fangoriously said:

oh, and just unlocked modern torp boat, sadly it appears the tower has not been unlocked yet, at least i know thats yours.

I updated the mod so the modern torpedo boat towers are unlocked in 1915. Should work with your current campaign.

So I have not tried this but I am curious.   Is the 1913 "Torpedo Battleship"  from Russia possible.

21kton normal,

200x25.5x8.2m dimensional at waterline

84 (YES 84!) 450mm Torpedos (17.7")  Arranged in arced broadsides

It is on pg 264 in the reprinting of "Russian and Soviet Battleships" by Stephen McLaughlin

Edited by Pappystein

Any idea which tech tree unlocks smoke screens? I just saw some enemies use smoke for the first time

Found some weird issue with 7zip I guess? I downloaded both the streamingassets and the language file and I tried to extract each one individually directly from the archive to overwrite the relevant files 1 by 1 but it seems like it didn't actually overwrite.

So I think I played vanilla for a few hours lmao

Edited by DyonisX

1 hour ago, DyonisX said:

Any idea which tech tree unlocks smoke screens?

You should read the mod description.

1 hour ago, DyonisX said:

I just saw some enemies use smoke for the first time

If you were using N.A.R. that is impossible.

22 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Can confirm, I downloaded update last night and both AI and player had Smoke

4ErR52x.jpg

As you can see, there is no smoke available in game for any ship. The only possible explanation, is if in a recent update, I forgot to edit one file. But still if you are using the current live version you should not have smoke.

On 7/20/2023 at 3:19 PM, o Barão said:

4ErR52x.jpg

As you can see, there is no smoke available in game for any ship. The only possible explanation, is if in a recent update, I forgot to edit one file. But still if you are using the current live version you should not have smoke.

So I did a full refresh of UAD (deleted all steam files and re-downloaded) then re-installed the mod.   I don't know what became corrupt or if I just did a stupid but Smoke is decidedly gone again.   Interestingly my campaigns are all broken now....  I think the last update of UAD I installed the mod incorrectly,  and the game just let me continue to use the in save assets... when I fixed UAD it broke the mod connections...   Just guesswork on my part.

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So I did a full refresh of UAD (deleted all steam files and re-downloaded) then re-installed the mod.   I don't know what became corrupt or if I just did a stupid but Smoke is decidedly gone again.   Interestingly my campaigns are all broken now....  I think the last update of UAD I installed the mod incorrectly,  and the game just let me continue to use the in save assets... when I fixed UAD it broke the mod connections...   Just guesswork on my part.

My issue was that dragging the file from the archive straight up just didn't replace the original file so the mod never got applied

Hey, sorry again cause I know this is probably not related to the mod, but is there no way to actually force engagements on the campaign map? Moving fleets next to the enemy seems to not achieve anything and even though I'm basically blockading their entire navy they still won't ever attack me

Edit: Sometimes I also notice that it says that some of my ships are "In Battle" in blue text but there aren't actually any battles

Edited by DyonisX

6 hours ago, Pappystein said:

N.A.R removes smoke from the game. There is no smoke screens if you have N.A.R installed.

It's a feature, not a bug.

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

gkKxZO8.jpg

If you have the mod installed, you will see this in the "news".

Also, the mod description tells you how to install and what to do to avoid any issues in game.

7 hours ago, DyonisX said:

Hey, sorry again cause I know this is probably not related to the mod, but is there no way to actually force engagements on the campaign map? Moving fleets next to the enemy seems to not achieve anything and even though I'm basically blockading their entire navy they still won't ever attack me

There is a modifier, but I prefer to see what the devs are going to do. It is very easy to exploit the poor AI logic if we can force the engagements when we want.

For anyone interested, in the "params" file you will see this:

denial_zone_size_modifier,0.00875,additional modifier for ship denial zone,,,,,,,

As a tip I learned from another player, you can force an engagement if you move your fleet to the AI destination spot. I am not saying this will work all the time, since there are many variables that the game will take into consideration, but you will probably see a big difference.

So hover the mouse above the enemy fleet to see their destination. Send your fleet to the exact same spot. If both fleets are arriving in the same turn, most likely a battle will occur.