Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.4 - for UAD v1.5.1.6

o Barão

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v1.0.9R - for UAD v1.4.0.4R

I know NAR doesn't disable submarines, and instead aims to rebalance them, but does it somehow limit how many subs the AI will build?
Because in vanilla, some times you see the AI build hundreds and hundreds of submarines and zero surface ships, which doesn't do them any good (nor is it fun to fight against) and it just ends up becoming yet another way for the AI to shoot itself in the foot.

10 minutes ago, Panzergraf said:

I know NAR doesn't disable submarines, and instead aims to rebalance them, but does it somehow limit how many subs the AI will build?
Because in vanilla, some times you see the AI build hundreds and hundreds of submarines and zero surface ships, which doesn't do them any good (nor is it fun to fight against) and it just ends up becoming yet another way for the AI to shoot itself in the foot.

The mine laying subs are disabled in NAR. It is impossible to balance them, and can be used as an exploit to win easy every game. I also added a ship building policy for every nation, so in theory you should see a more reasonable fleet composition for all nations. But if you see anything strange, take a screenshot and post here for me to see. 

1 hour ago, basedana said:

do any of y'all have gotten a trade request from allied minors to buy mothballed ships, because I haven't seen much of those requests recently

By the way, when are seaplanes unlocked?

I think it is mentioned in the mod description. Around 1920. Maybe more or less. I don't remember exactly at the moment.

Think there is a problem with the mod I tryed to make the Yamato and could not fit the 5" gun and the 4.9 if you use the modern tower 1 and the weight was over 101,000 ton, I know you could not put all the 5" guns on so I just swop the top 3 with 4.9" and she look right. 

Screenshot 2023-10-28 224001.png

6 hours ago, basedana said:

do any of y'all have gotten a trade request from allied minors to buy mothballed ships, because I haven't seen much of those requests recently

By the way, when are seaplanes unlocked?

I think I figured this out a while back, if the mothballed ship is on a hull you can't build new anymore, even minor nations won't want them. Stock game logic btw.

12 hours ago, Pappystein said:

If I find others I will report as well.

Vanilla-wise, assuming @o Barão hasn't touched them, Rangefinders (towers), Gun Layout (guns and barbettes), Gun Mechanisms (guns), Torpedo Size (torpedoes, obviously), Shells (shells), and Submarine Survivability (Subs) all increase the weight of the components I put in parentheses by them.  This is bad not just because they weigh more, but also because all of those things getting heavier contribute to increased pitch and roll.  The only weight you can add to decrease those two factors is on the citadel armor (belt and deck, deck contributing more than belt for some odd reason!) and the engines, and both of those decrease in weight with the repeatables.

Naturally you also wind up paying more for all of these upgrades, when in reality the overall trend is for simplification and ease of manufacture as technology improves, not complexity.  There's an exception to be made for things like microchips, but even then the US military has largely stagnated since the 90's or even earlier since they're good enough and nobody's felt like dumping in the money to EMP harden the newer generations of microprocessors with the end of the Cold War.

Edited by SpardaSon21

4 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

...but also because all of those things getting heavier contribute to increased pitch and roll. 

That is not an issue in NAR. I reworked the weight offset mechanics many weeks ago to a point that even the AI can build good combat ships.

BETA v1.1.0 N.A.R. changelog:

• Added the quad 4"; 5" and 6" guns for the British.
  • Added the quad 4" and 5" guns for the French. 2 models. One model for mk3 and mk4 and the other for mk5.
  • Added the quad 13"; 14"; 15" and 16" for the French
  • Added the Akizuki guns for the Japanese main ships to add more variety and to allow the players to design the "fantasy" wows ships in the Japanese tech tree. *I don't know how historical this can be, maybe there were designs that use them. Anyway, the variety should be interesting to see.
  • French 5"x1 mk4 and mk5 in capital ships become a simple non turret gun to fit better in some places.

J4ydvUi.jpg

British 4";5";6" quads. Note the longer barrel from the 3D model.  Those quads are x/60 in barrel length in comparison with the x/50 that we see in the KGV battleship.

7yc7TCr.jpg

French 4" and 5" mk 5 quads.

HjD8RXf.jpg

French 4" and 5" mk 3 and mk4 quads.

HaiYakY.jpg

13"; 14"; 15" and 16" early quads for the French.

sW1Sq93.jpg

Akizuki guns.

Edited by o Barão

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v1.1.0 - for UAD v1.4.0.4R
4 minutes ago, o Barão said:

BETA v1.1.0 N.A.R. changelog:

• Added the quad 4"; 5" and 6" guns for the British.
  • Added the quad 4" and 5" guns for the French. 2 models. One model for mk3 and mk4 and the other for mk5.
  • Added the quad 13"; 14"; 15" and 16" for the French
  • Added the Akizuki guns for the Japanese main ships to add more variety and to allow the players to design the "fantasy" wows ships in the japanese tech tree. *I don't know how historical this can be, maybe there were designs that use them. Anyway, the variety should be interested to see.
  • French 5" mk4 and mk5 in capital ships become a simple non turret gun to fit better in some places.

J4ydvUi.jpg

British 4";5";6" quads. Note the longer barrel from the 3D model.  Those quads are x/60 in barrel length in comparison with the x/50 that we see in the KGV battleship.

7yc7TCr.jpg

French 4" and 5" mk 5 quads.

HjD8RXf.jpg

French 4" and 5" mk 3 and mk4 quads.

HaiYakY.jpg

13"; 14"; 15" and 16" early quads for the French.

sW1Sq93.jpg

Akizuki guns.

thanks for the work and thank you for the akizuki guns now i dont have to change the file evry update haha

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MadMac392 said:

Nice mod but need make it so we can put the right armor on ship I made most of the Japanese ship with all have armor problem as seen in the screen shot.

Screenshot 2023-10-29 213539.png

The design process in NAR is very different from vanilla game. In this mod, you need to make hard decisions when designing a ship. It is not about I want this, and this and this. It is more about what I really need and what I am willing to give up, so I can get what is important.  More realistic, but not perfect since most are global modifiers that are being used for all ships.

urzQTay.jpg

17 hours ago, o Barão said:

That is not an issue in NAR. I reworked the weight offset mechanics many weeks ago to a point that even the AI can build good combat ships.

Oh, I know.  I was mostly referring to vanilla.  You should still get rid of the weight increases and reduce or reverse the cost increases.

tbh, considering that armor never gets lighter unless you have less, one doesn't realistically ever get anti torpedo 4 or 5 or the auto cannons unless you have standard bulkheads, but if one has standard bulkheads your ship just sinks because the game has bullshit flooding mechanics since  a ship can sink without ever getting it's citadel penned, which is bullshit.

• Like 1

Dear author. And there is an opportunity to give the bot standard templates for ships. I like to play in the pre-dreadnought era, and built the Russian imperial navy, in accordance with historical analogues. That is, almost thoroughly observing the values of armor and weapons. As a result, not a single fleet, not a single bot, no matter how many ships it has, can harm me only if it does not launch several torpedoes. I literally turn on the fight, set the autopilot and go to drink tea) Pi eom I did not try to make unbalanced ships, on the contrary, everything is according to historical information. In vanilla, I tried to create ships for the bot myself, with different levels of components, but he did not use them even with the conditions turned on at the beginning of the battle. Peresvet, received more armor and higher speed than its historical counterpart, but similar 10-inch guns, which in theory should make it weaker, but no, he calmly single-handedly resists any opponent. Borodino class, just a good squadron battleship. and I can put two of these battleships against almost any squadron of the bot, and it will be a victory, and without my control.image.thumb.png.45181c387726e0b489d55301230d9224.pngimage.thumb.png.8babee43c85ba4c94c43a085d58e1564.png

5 hours ago, Hellm said:

I tried to create ships for the bot myself, with different levels of components, but he did not use them even with the conditions turned on at the beginning of the battle.

Why and how are you doing?

As a side note, I don't recommend designing ships using the shared designs function for the moment. Many changes to ships parts are coming in a near future to the mod.

14 hours ago, basedana said:

but if one has standard bulkheads your ship just sinks because the game has bullshit flooding mechanics since  a ship can sink without ever getting it's citadel penned, which is bullshit.

Yeah, I hate that.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, o Barão said:

As a side note, I don't recommend designing ships using the shared designs function for the moment. Many changes to ships parts are coming in a near future to the mod.

To ship parts in general, or some parts on some specific hulls?
Because I'm in the process of designing a lot of ships for an upcoming campaign...