Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA 2.8 "Major Powers update"

o Barão

21 hours ago, NathanKell said:

That said if you're gonna be pinged about anything, I'd say the guns thing is as useful--finally you can represent early non-quickfiring 6in guns as well as late-WW2 6in guns by using, like, 7 or 8 marks of gun. Because if I recall in some of the calibers NAR is really hurting by not being able to have more than 5 versions of a gun.

I think the 2" and 3" guns would be in there as well, given the AA mounts like the US 1.1" inch gun and then the 20mm Oerilkons and the famous Bofors gun, the 3"/50 RF, and then of course the various rapid-fire 6pdrs the Brits made.

Edited by SpardaSon21

I think that's a pretty significant difference, since a 57mm gun in 1890 is night and day compared to 1950. 

Even outside of auto cannon, you can see why calibres that were discarded in the dreadnought era came roaring back to life. Grant you, air defence is not modelled in game, but you can see why 57mm, 76mm etc. guns went away when torpedo boats got large and then came back radically different. 

Edited by DougToss

4 hours ago, DougToss said:

I think that's a pretty significant difference, since a 57mm gun in 1890 is night and day compared to 1950. 

Even outside of auto cannon, you can see why calibres that were discarded in the dreadnought era came roaring back to life. Grant you, air defence is not modelled in game, but you can see why 57mm, 76mm etc. guns went away when torpedo boats got large and then came back radically different. 

Can't forget that the smaller calibers came back as armament for the modern motor boats, too.  The USA had several dedicated gunboat designs converted from subchasers that were slow but well armed and intended as support for the fast PT boats, but ended up being converted to minesweepers since they were too slow.  Plus the minesweepers and subchasers were all armed with the standard 3"/50.

And of course, can't forget the British Mollins gun for their PT boats.  The Mollins company went from making cigarette rolling machines to making shell rolling machines.

Edited by SpardaSon21
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 5:46 PM, SpardaSon21 said:

@o Barão NathanKell has gone and added loose file loading.  Now you no longer need to rebuild the resources file every time you test or need to update, and we players no longer need to overwrite the base game files to install.

I am testing ATM, but the game becomes a lot slower to read the game files in the shipyard or start a battle. 

The same happening to you?

21 hours ago, o Barão said:

I am testing ATM, but the game becomes a lot slower to read the game files in the shipyard or start a battle. 

would the slow down in loading times be down to the game only running on a single core and adding more files increasing the work of that core

Edited by rossi191

TaF runs a lot in the background in every turn. Have ML log window open during a turn and have a look. I think it runs through every ship in the game every turn, on top of what UAD does by itself. @NathanKell can probably enlighten us a little more here.

So yes, turns for me late game is usually a minute vs 5-10 secs vanilla.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rossi191 said:

would the slow down in loading times be down to the game only running on a single core and adding more files increasing the work of that core

I can tell you with most Unity Games, I now run ProcessLasso for just such an issue.

In KerbalSpaceProgram1 with the Community Fix submod + ProcessLasso my load time is literally cut in half (8 minutes to 4 minutes +/-)

With Battletech (HareBrainedSchemes) which runs on a version of Unity with a bad memory leak, Using the BattletechAdvanced3062 mod, Process lasso improves AI "think time" and over-all game play.  <--- some players reported improved load times but I did not experience THAT.

HOWEVER  1) I have a pretty darn high end system ( Enthusiast X299 platform quad channel i9)  and 2) we have noticed that this is very VERY processor dependent.   So, your millage will vary.    Atleast it is Free to try (and use, although it was valuable enough I purchased the paid version.)

Edited by Pappystein
  • Like 1

Just a quick update.

1.6 version is already being tested, however there is a major issue with ships costs. I am guessing there are some hidden modifiers that were changed in the recent version. I am working on a solution, by editing the material costs in the "params" file to get a reasonable result but will take a few days.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

BETA v12 "updated"- N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.6.0.1
  • Due to changes by the devs, I had to rework the material costs from scratch. I took the opportunity to change some things. Barrels, ammunition, torpedoes, fuel are more expensive now, so they become more relevant when designing a ship. MINOR ISSUE: Turret side armor is very cheap. I couldn't find the modifier responsible for that value. 😒
  • Modern engines costs rebalanced to make them more interesting. Turbo electric drive onwards. Tip: Gas Turbines (1945) are only interesting at very high speeds.
  • Torpedo tech removed from transports.
  • Increase slightly the torpedo inaccuracy.
  • Mine laying subs added to the mod. With the changes to subs battles being "key" now and not possible to ignore, this should make them balance in game and not being used anymore as an easy exploit to win the game by the player.
  • 25% chance of AI going for refit instead of building a new ship. Previous was 50%/50%. *
  • Lowered the AI shipbuilding limit to 110% from previous 125% to prevent them spending too much money on ships that will take too much time to be ready. *

* Needs testing.

English file updated.

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ac6FZM6KTnY3Rhm5GRsEO6Zs6V8Jfasf?usp=drive_link

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 5

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v12 - for UAD v1.6.0.1

BETA v12.1 "updated"- N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.6.0.2
  • Crew quality costs in custom battles rebalanced. Veterans are much cheaper now. Before it was unrealistic high the costs of value to use veterans crews on custom battles.

Note: Due to the material costs rework, please report to me if it is impossible to have decent size fleets (you and the AI) in the campaign.  If that is the case, I can simply buff the income of all nations to fix any possible issue. 

Happy hunting! :)

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v12.1 - for UAD v1.6.0.2
On 8/9/2024 at 1:07 PM, o Barão said:

Per the log you sent me by DM, you were hitting a ton of errors, and I'm guessing that's a fair portion of what was slowing things down. But I'm sure there are other things too, so when I have a sec I'll take a look at perf issues; some of it is going to be unavoidable because this is using managed code to patch unmanaged (albeit Il2Cpp weirdness) C++.

On 8/10/2024 at 10:58 AM, rossi191 said:

No.

On 8/10/2024 at 11:08 AM, MDHansen said:

TaF runs a lot in the background in every turn. Have ML log window open during a turn and have a look. I think it runs through every ship in the game every turn, on top of what UAD does by itself. @NathanKell can probably enlighten us a little more here.

So yes, turns for me late game is usually a minute vs 5-10 secs vanilla.

That's not really how that works, and is likely a sign that things are broken. What are you seeing in the console? Unless custom params are set (like the one for overriding mine damage, or overriding the scrapping behavior) little should be running per turn, just when the AI is designing a new design the shared design code will be running, and the code for custom component weights. Also, if any conquest events are progressing, that logic is also replaced.

On 8/11/2024 at 10:26 AM, Pappystein said:

I can tell you with most Unity Games, I now run ProcessLasso for just such an issue.

In KerbalSpaceProgram1 with the Community Fix submod + ProcessLasso my load time is literally cut in half (8 minutes to 4 minutes +/-)

With Battletech (HareBrainedSchemes) which runs on a version of Unity with a bad memory leak, Using the BattletechAdvanced3062 mod, Process lasso improves AI "think time" and over-all game play.  <--- some players reported improved load times but I did not experience THAT.

HOWEVER  1) I have a pretty darn high end system ( Enthusiast X299 platform quad channel i9)  and 2) we have noticed that this is very VERY processor dependent.   So, your millage will vary.    Atleast it is Free to try (and use, although it was valuable enough I purchased the paid version.)

When I was there, most of the frametime bottleneck was PhysX. IIRC a recent conversation with Max, by the end frametime was ~30% PhysX, ~30% Part and PartModule processing, and 30% everything else. UAD's architecture is completely different and really isn't comparable to Kerbal. Regarding KSP loading, I would guess that the vast majority of the speedup you're seeing is due to got rewriting the loader and very little to do with process balancing, since much (though far from all!) of KSP is single-threaded, and got's loader changes weren't, IIRC, to multithread, but instead to avoid disk or CPU throttling the other. In fact when I did the ConfigNode parser rewrite in KSPCF, the multihreaded approach turned out to be slower than an optimized single-threaded approach.

Most of what something like Process Lasso is going to do is to solve the case where there's other CPU loading going on and it's not shuffled off to the appropriate other cores. It can also be counterproductive; I know on Dota we've found it actually hurts customer perf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

That's not really how that works, and is likely a sign that things are broken. What are you seeing in the console? Unless custom params are set (like the one for overriding mine damage, or overriding the scrapping behavior) little should be running per turn, just when the AI is designing a new design the shared design code will be running, and the code for custom component weights. Also, if any conquest events are progressing, that logic is also replaced.

Ok. Then something is iffy. Could surely be on my end. Ill post a screenshot of the turn log and upload the log for the turn/session, in your TaF thread.

53 minutes ago, MDHansen said:

Ok. Then something is iffy. Could surely be on my end. Ill post a screenshot of the turn log and upload the log for the turn/session, in your TaF thread.

Thanks! What I need is the actual output (copy-paste) of the MelonLoader console window.  I don't need a screenshot of the game or the player.log. Note that if you were using v3.1.x on UAD 1.6, things will have been broken. I just updated TAF to 3.2.0 which should be UAD 1.6 compatible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

Thanks! What I need is the actual output (copy-paste) of the MelonLoader console window.  I don't need a screenshot of the game or the player.log. Note that if you were using v3.1.x on UAD 1.6, things will have been broken. I just updated TAF to 3.2.0 which should be UAD 1.6 compatible.

Yeh i meant the ML/UE log.

I was using 3.1.1. On 1.6 upd6. After that i ran in to problems (the mk issues was probably through 1.6, but i didnt notice it either way, or using it. Me running it on 1.6 might also be why my game used extensive time on the turns. I will test after work👍

• Like 2

Something I noticed is that the fore/aft weight balance is back to the base game's super weight offset. The first German Pre-Dreadnought hull had 2.4% fore weight offset, and over 3 inches of aft deck armor/ moving the aft main gun as far back as possible hardly lowered it by half.

Just wanted to know if this is a bug or if that weight rebalance just hasn't been re-added

8 hours ago, TheBlackCitadel said:

Something I noticed is that the fore/aft weight balance is back to the base game's super weight offset. The first German Pre-Dreadnought hull had 2.4% fore weight offset, and over 3 inches of aft deck armor/ moving the aft main gun as far back as possible hardly lowered it by half.

Just wanted to know if this is a bug or if that weight rebalance just hasn't been re-added

2.4% is nothing. Before was normal to have around 20% in vanilla game on that hull, and that one is one of the worst hulls to balance the weight in game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, o Barão said:

2.4% is nothing. Before was normal to have around 20% in vanilla game on that hull, and that one is one of the worst hulls to balance the weight in game.

Oh yeah. It's been long enough since I played UAD without this mod that I forgot that was the original weight offset

• Like 4

BETA v12.2 "updated"- N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.6.0.3R

Important: I will be working in the following days to implement the 1st version of the mod using the work from  @NathanKell "Tweaks and Fixes" for testing. You can read more about it here:

The goal, will be to add this new improvements for testing to the mod:

• Subs moving not limited by map borders.
  • Mines damage mechanic improvements.
  • AI auto builder improvements to ship armor values.

This is only be possible due to very interesting work by @NathanKell,  so credits for him! :)

VERY IMPORTANT:

I don't know when I am going to update the mod again, so to avoid any issues, block the auto updates from steam:

• Set game to update when start game. Do this in game setting(properties)-> update.
  • Don't start game by steam or steam shortcut. Make a shortcut on desktop from the main game .exe  in this location: "....\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts.exe"
  • Start a game from this shortcut. Game will run without update.
  • Like 5

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v12.2 - for UAD v1.6.0.3R