Game-Labs Forum

Settling the "naming ships" discussion

Naming ships  

304 members have voted

1. 1. What should the game do for naming ships?

• A list of names you can choose from, and an option to name your own ship and the mods confirm
    • Be able to name your own ship without restrictions
    • Name your ship with restrictions
    • Other (Explain)
    • No naming

I chose 'other'.

The system I would like to see ties in with different ways of obtaining a captaincy. 

1.) Naval officers (captains) get assigned ships. As such, I would really like for naval ships to be named by the Admiralty. No player choice in here. Plenty of cool historical names to choose from and it would even allow a single ship in the gameworld to have a career captained by multiple players in succession. (i.e. player Bob plays Royal British Navy and gets assigned the HMS Dolphin 6th rate frigate. Bob does very well and a bit later he gets promoted to a bigger frigate, HMS Dolphin goes 'back into the RN ship pool' and 3 days later HMS Dolphin gets assigned to player Richard). 

2.) Private captains accepting a commission on behalf of a trader or something else, again same thing. It's not *your* ship so she's named already. End of.

3.) Ships in private player ownership are free to be named by the player, usual filters for profanity and very immersionbreaking names apply. 

edit: Maybe players captaining assigned ships could be allowed to select an own name (maybe from a list, maybe human approved) for real money, like a vanity thing. It could represent good contacts at the Admiralty willing to pull some weight for you and change the name of your assigned vessel.

TL;DR: I think it would be most fun if names were not playergiven for assigned ships, yet private ships can be of course named by the owning player.

Edited by SchurkjeBoefje
  • Like 1

I'd like to be able to name my ship myself. But I would add some sort of approval mechanic. I could get behind the pay for your own name thing. But I would just make it "pay for adding a custom word to your list of names to chose from thing" and don't include some sort of exclusiveness or some sort of common propery after sunk to it. Just make someone else pay again for the same name. It is for most people unlikely to have the same name as many people unless it is some sort of evil 666 kill f*ck die name like "(Grim) Reaper" or what other "cool" names there are. 

Click Add a Name -> fill form (have field for explenation or historical evidence) -> pay 10 bucks -> Wait

TOKEN REWOKES IF NAME IS REJECTED

And I'm dead serious about the 10$ and the rewoke. Because you we need some sort of threshold in place to make people think twice befor they slow down the system by submitting things like "tu madre" hoping that support wont notice. (I chose a less obvious example because I don't like to generalise people as retarded)

But there should be a short explenation why the name was rejected. To if someone wants to appeal they have something to back their claim and not go into IDK mode like valve or blizzard.

I proposed the same thing as Brig suggested a month ago but specified the payment system like "Pay £2 to submit a name request even if it's rejected, if accepted you pay a further £3 to have that name. If rejected then you lose £2 but don't pay the further £3.

This means you arent over-charging a player when they don't get their name approved but the £2 pays the wages of whoever has to make the decision and is the deterrent for players submitting too many/inappropriate name requests.

I am a huge fan of Brigand's proposal to have a name list, then pay for moderator-approved custom names.  The name of a ship is extremely important, and I am not just willing but eager to pay for unique ship names.  Not such a big fan of losing the name, though.  I''d want to see more about how the open world works, though.

I agree. I like this but feel that if I'm going to pay real money for a ship name, that name should be mine in perpetuity, and I should be able to assign it to any of the ships I may own

• Like 1

Other:

I thought certain criteria that would have to be Completed to name your ship.

1: When ship is first acquired = default ship name

2: Completion of ship level criteria elite (select achievement) = Pick name from a list

3: $ = for custom name approved by a mod (within certain requirements)

Edited by BopShady

Choose our own names with some basic filters and no duplicates.

NO PAYED FOR NAMES.  Really?

This is a video game not a historical movie(not saying throw everything to the wind here, there are just some things that come with playing a game and not having a time machine).  There were not enough actual navy ships in the world during this time to be able to name every ship thet every player ever gets in this game.

• Like 1

Other.

1. Ships start out named similarly to how they are now. The type of ship you buy is named after its class lead or whatever ship it was based off of.

2. If you want a unique name you can rename the ship using a random name generator that generates unique names. You can reroll the name till you get one you like. If the ship sinks the name goes back into the pool.

3. If you want a custom name you pay money and submit a name to be approved. That custom name now belongs to you, the player, to use as you like. If your ship with its name sinks you can rename a new ship that name. If the ship is captured, the first time that ship goes to port or the capturer logs out its name reverts to 1 (to facilitate some time for screenshots and taunting  :P )

3a. You can 'reserve' a randomly generated name for yourself at reduced cost to having a full custom name that needs approval. It then becomes the same exact thing as if you submitted that name and it got approved

3b. The ability to use this name could be tied to an object in game, a 'name title' that can be traded to other players

SS or HMS or SV BusterGut all depending on type of vessel.  ;)  

BTW weren't the ships in the Royal Navy started as HBMS during the latter part of the 18th century?   :ph34r:

His Britannic Majesties Ship appears to have only been used in formal correspondence. It took a long time before His Britannic Majesties Ship or His Majesties Ship, abbreviated or not, came into general use.

BTW - any commentary on my 'picks' idea, earned, brought, given etc? Thinking further, they might also be used to name newly discovered or founded land or settlements.

I feel using them as rewards and allowing you to do something with them like add a name to the lists, even if you don't name your OWN ship, would give the game an opening for less material (in game terms) rewards for good play, competitions, missions, assisting the community etc. Loss of accumulated of expected 'picks' could even be used as a more moderate form of punishment for infractions without the need to remove things like money and goods earned in game or ban people.

I think the old game "Puzzle Pirates" has a good naming system. when a ship is built in the game it is assigned a name consisting of a random adjective and fish name. for example the "Aggressive Marlin" or "Happy Eel" they also had a way to pay to name your ship whatever you want. 

Having a similar system could work well in this game. although i still would like to be able to name my ship whatever i want to.

BTW - any commentary on my 'picks' idea, earned, brought, given etc? Thinking further, they might also be used to name newly discovered or founded land or settlements.

I feel using them as rewards and allowing you to do something with them like add a name to the lists, even if you don't name your OWN ship, would give the game an opening for less material (in game terms) rewards for good play, competitions, missions, assisting the community etc. Loss of accumulated of expected 'picks' could even be used as a more moderate form of punishment for infractions without the need to remove things like money and goods earned in game or ban people.

I just think it's a little elaborate for something like ship naming. I would rather have the option to pay for a name so I can support the game development as well as restrict players... let's call it 'creativity'  .... If you know what I'm getting at.

• Like 1

My probem with extensive personal ship naming (even for ships that aren't technically in the player's possession) is that unless a first come, first serve process is in place, we're going to see a hundred Victory's, a hundred and fifty Consitutions, etc etc etc.

Those "unique" ships will suddenly not be unique anymore because any inspirationless bimbo from Denmark to the Seychelles wants to sail them. 

• Like 2

My probem with extensive personal ship naming (even for ships that aren't technically in the player's possession) is that unless a first come, first serve process is in place, we're going to see a hundred Victory's, a hundred and fifty Consitutions, etc etc etc.

Those "unique" ships will suddenly not be unique anymore because any inspirationless bimbo from Denmark to the Seychelles wants to sail them. 

I would imagine even then there would be less than if you weren't able to rename the ships.

Most ships have a class they could be named by default but then there are countless numbers of 'Leda Class' sailing around.. and what would the Constitution be called by default if not the Constitution? 'Super Frigate'?

I'm leaning towards having a list to choose from, possibly supplemented by a pay-for-custom (in-game or real moneys tbd) as some have suggested.

Available names could include:

***Major city, province/state, sea and land area names of the era per nation (including current and historical colonies), plus city derived names in their language (Wappen of Hamburg for example, with Wappen being German for crest I believe. Others could be "shield", "sword", "protector", ...)

***Historical national figures of the past eras, per nation. (National heroes, former statesmen, figures of legend)

***"Motivational" and "boastful" names (couldn't come up with a better term...) such as "Spirit", "Defiance", "Usurper", ...

***Mythological names/creatures. Greek, Roman, Norse and other mythological names such as "Odin", "Neptune"/"Poseidon", "Ragnarok", "Zoroaster", "Bellerophon", "Leviathan", "Baba Yaga", "Incubus", "Metatron"...

→Each name could have parameters to allow availability depending on nations/factions/careers.

Another database person could have a lot of fun setting this up  :D

PS Take note that as with other MMOs, there will be an international multicultural community at play: Some names might be offensive to some people, completely obscure to others because of language/cultural differences.

Plus this is a historical leaning MMO, so anything that is out of character would take away from the game. Please no 1337-speak names!

Just my 2 cents of course.

• Like 1

I would imagine even then there would be less than if you weren't able to rename the ships.

Most ships have a class they could be named by default but then there are countless numbers of 'Leda Class' sailing around.. and what would the Constitution be called by default if not the Constitution? 'Super Frigate'?

Only some ships were the 'lead' ship of their class, I see absolutely no reason why every ship from a specific class needs to be named after the lead? No one did that. Ever. They may build the first of the Leda class and call it Leda, the second would have a different name. It could be "Diane", Leda-class frigate. Call the third "Ariadne". And so on and so on. 

If we're going to have 300 Constitutions in the game, like literally 300 ships named (USS) Constitution......just...so much meh. What's the fun in sailing a 'unique and historical ship' when there are 200 carbon copies of you afloat? Where's the fun if half the ships of a nation's navy all have the same goddamn name

If it were up to me, there'd only be one Consti-class frigate in US service *actually called* USS Constitution. Different names for the others. There are plenty of names to go around, no problem there. Maybe the historical ships like Consti, Victory, etc etc could be 'rewards' for the nations navy top captains, instead of being an easy to reach, immersive destroying copy-pasta name that 40% of teh playerbase wants. 

I think that you should definitely be able to change the name of your ship in the open-world, even change the colouring of your ship and so on too.
I want to be able to sail MY ship. If there's zero customisation then I really won't feel any need to keep the ships I have and it'll just be a grind until I can get the next best one. 

• Like 1

Only some ships were the 'lead' ship of their class, I see absolutely no reason why every ship from a specific class needs to be named after the lead? No one did that. Ever. They may build the first of the Leda class and call it Leda, the second would have a different name. It could be "Diane", Leda-class frigate. Call the third "Ariadne". And so on and so on. 

If we're going to have 300 Constitutions in the game, like literally 300 ships named (USS) Constitution......just...so much meh. What's the fun in sailing a 'unique and historical ship' when there are 200 carbon copies of you afloat? Where's the fun if half the ships of a nation's navy all have the same goddamn name

If it were up to me, there'd only be one Consti-class frigate in US service *actually called* USS Constitution. Different names for the others. There are plenty of names to go around, no problem there. Maybe the historical ships like Consti, Victory, etc etc could be 'rewards' for the nations navy top captains, instead of being an easy to reach, immersive destroying copy-pasta name that 40% of teh playerbase wants. 

I don't understand what you're suggesting then...

Are you suggesting that letting us name our own ships would see more ships with the same name then every ship of the same class having the same name? Or are you saying we give the ships different names but don't get to chose them? How would a ships name be decided in that case?

I don't understand what you're suggesting then...

Are you suggesting that letting us name our own ships would see more ships with the same name then every ship of the same class having the same name? Or are you saying we give the ships different names but don't get to chose them? How would a ships name be decided in that case?

If we get to freely name every ship we sail on, you can count on there being tons of copies of the most famous shipnames. Imo that's boring and not immersive at all, not to mention sadly lacking in creativity. I don't care about the names of the *classes* of the ships, I care about what they're actually named. I realize that for ease of mentioning one might still refer to the a specific ship as "a Consti" or "a Vic", denoting the ship is of that type, but that's something different than having 40 RN ships all named (HMS) Victory and having 35% of the fledgeling US Navy comprised of USS Constitutions. Not Consti-class vessels, but actually dozens of identically named ships. 

My ideal system would be:

For a ship that's assigned to a player (naval posting, accepting a commission on behalf of a trading co., etc), a (semi?) random selection from a database of appropriate names for the shiptype. The player does not get to name this ship. This ship does not belong to the player, but to the nation/Admiralty or a trading company or another private owner. If it's not your ship, you don't get to name it. Period. Micro transactions for vanity giving the player a stake in name selection of a commissioned ship (representing some gravitas with the Admiralty or employers) could be implemented. 

For a ship that's 100% owned by the player, naming it becomes player's choice. Either a huge huge database or mod/community approved, but it's the players ship in the end so his or her prerogative. 

Not only would my system guarantee unique names and disable copy-pasta names, it could make the *actual* famous ships interesting sightings and maybe more desirable postings. 

A free-naming system for every deck under your virtual boots in game would get boring quickly as you spot your 8th unique HMS Victory or whatever. I guarafrickingtee that a lot of players don't have the creativity or self-modesty to not use the same bloody names over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. 

edit: These naming restrictions would be mostly in place sort of...'per nation'. Obviously many ships had sort of similar names. The USN might have a USS Revolution, there's no reason the French can't have a Révolution as well. Neither is there a reason why there can't be a privately owned American ship named Revolution when there's already an official USN equivalent. 

Not to mention that with the inclusion of British, American, French, Dutch, Spanish, Portugese, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Ottoman (Turks).....

there will be a LOT of languages to choose names from! There can be ten "Seagulls" in the game like this, but in 10 different nations and nearly 10 different languages alone! 

What my system mostly aims to avoid is 'official' duplicate ships like I mentioned. No 40 official RN ships called HMS Victory plz, no 75 USS Constitutions, no 30 Dutch Navy 7 Provinciëns etc. 

Edited by SchurkjeBoefje

Why not have it so that each name can only be used once and the original Victory or Constitution etc would be owned by the AI. That would prevent there being hundreds of Victorys sailing about.

That, along with restrictions to the characters used and with no offensive names used, it might work quite well. 

Why not have it so that each name can only be used once and the original Victory or Constitution etc would be owned by the AI. That would prevent there being hundreds of Victorys sailing about.

That, along with restrictions to the characters used and with no offensive names used, it might work quite well. 

The originals could still just be randomly assigned. A naval captain might simply get lucky and assigned command of a ship with a particularly famous history. It might even be a potential reward for a nation's most daring and capable captains :) 

Naming your ships is a huge (and very fun) part of being the captain! But another huge part of being a captain is the responsibility. 

Restrictions on certain names would be good, and I like the idea of a volunteer "Council" on removing certain names.

I  think every captain ought to have the right to name their own ship.

• Like 1