Game-Labs Forum

Torpedoes, Torpedoes, Torpedoes, Torpedoes......

Just had 4 torpedo boats go by a BB and none of them fired their torpedoes at it. Game is fatally broken. I am sick of bringing this topic up. Games are meant to be played and by being played they are controlled and part of that control involves of firing of armaments, and if the armaments cannot be fired then the game cannot be played. Ridiculous that in this day and age this needs to be spelled out like this but hey, half the population has an IQ below 100 so I guess we should be glad that the people who run this company do not produce cars as they would build them without throttle control(gas pedal). loloollololol soooooo fickin stupid

• Sad 3

IQ 100 is always the average intelligence; so it is not possible that half of the pop is below that.

UA:D is not about sailing around and firing guns/torps, it's about constructing ships, manoevering and naval tactics. Your complaint is like "HoI4 is so bad, you cant control your tanks directly, you just can move armies around. such a bad game lol stupid 1!1!!!11".

Maybe you should try out WoWs instead.

There are indeed problems with UA:D, and there is a problem with torps. But not that you can't fire them yourself, but that own ship AI is just so horrible bad at aiming. 

Edited by Lucas_Slavik
  • Like 8

It has been said and debated elsewhere that this "fire torpedo button" as you call it won't work, or at least not in the way you are imagining it. It would take a lot of work. The issue is that there would have to be much more going on from a UI perspective to make this happen. Which launchers are you talking about? What angles of fire do they have? What about individual gyro angles on certain torpedoes? Which tubes on the launchers are they coming from? What if vessels have internal and external tubes at the same time?

Since the game can't, and rightfully will not, have a big flashing "fire the guns" button, I doubt anything like that will ever be created for torpedoes. I really cannot understand how you claim to have so much trouble with them when no else does in the way you describe:

On 1/15/2022 at 2:43 PM, thisgameisretarded said:

Just had 4 torpedo boats go by a BB and none of them fired their torpedoes at it. Game is fatally broken. I am sick of bringing this topic up.

You say this but don't give any meaning to the engagement, no parameters. What was your speed, and theirs? What angle on the bow did you have? Were your launchers internal or external? If external, were they rotating to target? Were you in maximum firing range? What kind of ROE did you have on each of your four boats? All of this matters. Just because you alone can't seem to figure this out doesn't mean the game is "fatally broken."

You're obviously not serious about contributing anything useful to this game since your name is "thisgameisretarded" and you've done nothing but buddy up with other forum malcontents and complain since day 1. Watch some videos if you have so much trouble, or better yet, take screenshots of these issues you have and maybe someone on here can assist you.

Edited by Littorio
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 8:43 PM, thisgameisretarded said:

Just had 4 torpedo boats go by a BB and none of them fired their torpedoes at it. Game is fatally broken.

As far as I'm concerned, I think there is no need of a "fire torpedo button". 
When I started to play the game, I had this problem of not launched torpedoes. So I looked for why and try to understand the process, to see what could be possible without this "fire torpedo button". 
Here is the result of my investigations:
1 - You need to have a firing solution into the firing angle of your torpedoe launcher to have a fire. 
2 - It is very difficult to estimate if 1 is ok or not, even with experience. 
3 - the best way to make 1 true is to start to turn just after changing from disabled torpedoes to aggressive torpedoe launch
4 - the torpedoes launchers need time to rotate before firing
5 - don't do very strong turns with your ship: some ships (especially small ones) can turn faster than their torpedoes launchers. 
6 - when you design your ship, take care that firing angles of your torpedoes launchers are compatible with how you wanna use them. 
With some practice you can do things like:
on a ship with 2 side deck torpedoes launchers, one with a firing angle more oriented to front and the other one more oriented to rear, you can launch during a turn with one, the other or the two torpedoes launchers, just by choosing when you enable/disable the torpedo launch. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see added to the UI, the actual range at which the torpedo will fire at the three settings. 9km at Aggressive, 8 for normal, 7 for save as an example. In my opinion the problem is not that the torpedoes won't fire, the issue is players don't know when they are able to fire them. 

1.) Actual launch range.

2.) Firing Arc - Is it even possible to fire my torpedo at the target currently? If not, show us something on the UI to indicate this. Something simple like a red dot for no or a green dot for yes, and finally a black dot for out of range. 

We need UI indicators to tell us the above!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crp1985 said:

I'd like to see added to the UI, the actual range at which the torpedo will fire at the three settings. 9km at Aggressive, 8 for normal, 7 for save as an example. In my opinion the problem is not that the torpedoes won't fire, the issue is players don't know when they are able to fire them. 

That depends on the target position, course and speed and your position, course and speed.

7 minutes ago, akd said:

That depends on the target position, course and speed and your position, course and speed.

That makes sense. A UI indicator which would switch from red to green based on what you said and which launch mode the torpedo is in would be helpful. 

While I can't agree with OP's tone, I have to say I have noticed this is a significant problem.

The torpedo mounts and turrets on fast-turning ships often stop rotating and get 'stuck' during a hard turn. Therefore they often fail to train on target during, or even for several seconds after, a hard maneuvre... such as turning broadside to launch torpedoes.

Seconds are often critical and this has led to plenty of missed torpedo attacks and much frustration on my part.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SonicB said:

The torpedo mounts and turrets on fast-turning ships often stop rotating and get 'stuck' during a hard turn. Therefore they often fail to train on target during, or even for several seconds after, a hard maneuvre... such as turning broadside to launch torpedoes.

That explains why several times I had a situation when the guns on my TB or DD were "stuck", refusing to rotate/fire - I tried to re-aim or aim from another side, waiting until they start firing again. As if the guns were overloaded with too much of frequently-changing coordinates regarding enemy ship's position VS own ship, they stopped responding until the info queue was getting coordinates from a more steady course.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Tycondero said:

Sorry, but the IQ of 100 is the mean value, so by definition half of the population does have an IQ below 100. 

Actually the median is 100 so the quote is correct. 
It's also a near perfect bell-curve so the mean is also 100.

Generally these only differ when you have a lopsided bell-curve or a large number of outliers on one side, this 
isn't the case for IQ.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:56 PM, Captain Meow said:

That explains why several times I had a situation when the guns on my TB or DD were "stuck", refusing to rotate/fire - I tried to re-aim or aim from another side, waiting until they start firing again. As if the guns were overloaded with too much of frequently-changing coordinates regarding enemy ship's position VS own ship, they stopped responding until the info queue was getting coordinates from a more steady course.

Yep, I've seen this several times. Holding the course to get the correct firing angle for a few seconds lets the torp launchers work out what they need to do.

Fairly sure this is just the torp launcher AI getting a bit confused trying to work out if it should rotate the other way because you are turning so quick so it would be faster to rotate against the ship's rotation to get a firing angle quicker.

On 1/25/2022 at 1:07 AM, crp1985 said:

That makes sense. A UI indicator which would switch from red to green based on what you said and which launch mode the torpedo is in would be helpful. 

Unfortunately it's far from that simple. If you are using Oxy torps (32 knots approx max speed), then you'll never have a firing angle on a ship retreating at 33 knots.

Game does need a lot more UI indicators however. An indicator on the weapon clusters indicating if they can find a firing solution would be nice.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:15 AM, Drenzul said:

Unfortunately it's far from that simple. If you are using Oxy torps (32 knots approx max speed), then you'll never have a firing angle on a ship retreating at 33 knots.

I think this is an extremely important point - at present, oxy torps are practically useless for the human player.  In the era they're available, they just aren't fast enough. If BB's are going 28+ kn, and CA's (laughably) near 40 kn, they're just not going to catch up. And you get into situations where you're running a destroyer 0.2 km from a BB, full broadside, a kill shot happening any second, unable to fire torpedoes (argh!).

28 minutes ago, SlowTrot said:

I think this is an extremely important point - at present, oxy torps are practically useless for the human player.  In the era they're available, they just aren't fast enough. If BB's are going 28+ kn, and CA's (laughably) near 40 kn, they're just not going to catch up. And you get into situations where you're running a destroyer 0.2 km from a BB, full broadside, a kill shot happening any second, unable to fire torpedoes (argh!).

Not true at all. Oxy are my fav torps cos so detect them so close they don't have time to maneuver away. 
Just you've got to be a lot more careful lining up to fire them.

They would be completely OP if they were faster.

On 2/14/2022 at 2:43 PM, Drenzul said:

Not true at all. Oxy are my fav torps cos so detect them so close they don't have time to maneuver away. 
Just you've got to be a lot more careful lining up to fire them.

They would be completely OP if they were faster.

Ah I got them confused with e-torps tbh, which I do think are useless. Oxys do have some use, but still it's a hard sell on the extra cost and weight.

Edited by SlowTrot

On 1/15/2022 at 1:43 PM, thisgameisretarded said:

Just had 4 torpedo boats go by a BB and none of them fired their torpedoes at it.

I will admit, when this happens to me its usually MY fault.  My TB fired at long range because, well, that's what they do if you are not watching.  So when they finally get into range, they are still reloading.  The second is I've forgotten to return the torp to normal or aggressive and missed my chance.

So I do wonder how much is AI and how much is player fault.

3 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

I will admit, when this happens to me its usually MY fault.  My TB fired at long range because, well, that's what they do if you are not watching.  So when they finally get into range, they are still reloading.  The second is I've forgotten to return the torp to normal or aggressive and missed my chance.

So I do wonder how much is AI and how much is player fault.

I find it ironic this guy is talking about "pEoPULz IQ", but doesn't even take a second to think "could I have possibly prevented this?"

It's almost as if games aren't universally supposed to hand you victory on a silver platter...  No, game is just terrible.  I shouldn't have to think just to win!

Seeing how people respond to the upcoming AI improvements will be...interesting.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:49 AM, Lastreaumont said:

4 - the torpedoes launchers need time to rotate before firing
5 - don't do very strong turns with your ship: some ships (especially small ones) can turn faster than their torpedoes launchers. 

This is the reason I've found. This is compounded by the fact that disabling torpedoes locks their mounts in position until they are reactivated, so there's always (occasionally substantial) rotation time before they have a launching solution.