Game-Labs Forum

How do you spawn?

The best way would be:

If you went offline on the open sea (with passive real time timer you will end up in the nearest port or half way to the port, depends on the distance to the post and how quickly you will come back online). Once you are offline on the open sea your ship start invisible sail to the nearest port.

ex. Nearest port is 1 real hour away. You went offline for 30 mins, so you will end up(spawn) half way to the port location. 

I think leaving ship on the open sea for unknown time is simply not realistic. 

That ties in a bit with the long travel times that some have been dreading.

I'm all for a system that allows you to sail your ship to a far away port while offline, but that opens so many loopholes as in avoiding PvP and all that.

Aside from that, I don't see how there would be much of a difference between logging into the game and coming back onto the open sea from an instance.

But you should only get that minute of invisibility if you were offline long enough (longer than a few seconds/minutes as to avoid abuse)

And in regards to logging off in the open world, I think something like Eve's current system.  If you're in station (port) you can log off instantly, if you're out at sea you can stop moving, turn off all modules (may not apply) and begin a "safe logoff timer".  After 30 seconds your ship is removed from the map.  If you log off or disconnect out at sea your ship sits there as a sitting duck for 30 seconds (or maybe more) before it disappears and if you're caught into a battle during that time, well, tough...luck.

Logging off should be pretty straight forward rules. No activity or interactions pending means you can log off. If you're in the middle of something, you can't.

It's logging back in that is the question. Always where you left off since you furl your sails and tell the crew "I'm going somewhere, please wait a few weeks in this very boring spot!"?

Or will it be more elaborate than that, that is closer to realism?

I'm fully aware this is one of the disconnection points (pardon the pun) of any MMO. At some point you have to exit the virtual world and have it move on by itself.

Most MMOs treat this as "logged off = you're virtually dead to the world, and you will respawn out of thin air at the exact same point of virtual death"

My thoughts on various ideas:

Autopilot to nearby port

I can definitely see that being used by somebody who can't be bothered to actually sail to their destination, get half way there and log off. Log back in after however long it takes your ship to get there. That aside, it's probably one of the better options since it kind of makes sense. Sailing back to some assigned Home port, or the previous port may be "safer" from a preventing exploits standpoint. Or maybe some chartered autopilot if you want it to serve a purpose. Log in for 5 hours of sailing to your destination without actually doing anything, or log in at your destination? Yes, I know your open sea testing hasn’t started yet, but if the world is big enough to actually be big, somebody somewhere will consider it too big ;)

Timer and pop

If they do it that way, I'd expect to see people who happened to be nearby just throwing a broadside into you if you're clearly unable to retaliate. It's zero risk, so why not? (I don't seem to trust people). Sure, they don’t gain anything but they do get to annoy another human being. This is only an issue if you log out near another ship. I have no idea how much time will be spent close enough to other people for them to possibly affect you, but I’d rather not risk it.

Simply disappear anywhere immediately

It's the safest option, and it'd almost definitely be abused by people who don't want to get sunk... Can't say I blame them really, since we're told ships are quite an investment and easily lost. But dropping out because a fight is going badly will just suck for the person who remains, they’re now damaged and have gained nothing.

Stopping people logging out if they're doing something

No. Just no. They'll just Alt + F4 instead anyway. If I have to leave the game quickly, I'm leaving the game quickly. In every open (or open-ish) game I play, I attempt to clean up before I quit. This usually involves getting somewhere safe, sorting out inventories/levelling/loadouts or whatever, and preparing things for my next session. If I'm stopping playing of my own free will, I'll have done my best to allow for that. If I end up going to sleep an hour late because I got side-tracked, that's fine. If I'm trying to quit immediately, it's because I have to go. I don't like the idea of being punished for unforeseen circumstances.

Leaving a ship stranded sitting duck style

I'm against that. If somebodies internet/power drops out while they were being attacked by pirating players, they log back in to find they've lost their ship. Sound far? It wasn’t their choice but they’ve suffered a considerable loss because of it.

I have no problem with these things breaking immersion or whatever, quite simply real life is more important. It's always annoying in games when you have to leave, but you can't because you have to spend 45 minutes returning to a safe zone. But finding a system that both isn't exploitable and won’t punish a player if their child falls down the stairs and has to go to hospital is damn tricky.

What would I want?

When you can log off: Whenever, with no real penalties

Where you can log off: Anywhere, with no real penalties

How you return: I like the on the way to (or at) home port option.

While/once you're gone: Nobody should be able to interact or interfere with your ship while you aren't there to do anything.

Yes I'm aware this is exploitable, I'd prefer to trust people to be sporting and moral than punish people for

I think I went on a bit there...

Just my thoughts at this moment, don't hate me too much for it ;)

I would think logging off would be much like how I would like to see increased time scale work. That being if you're travelling in an increased time scale when a player or NPC vessel is within a set distance the time would return to normal and be unable to increase until everything was out of that distance again. Same with logging off, if you try to log off and a ship is within the set distance then you can't log off unless you are in a port. When you log back in you are exactly where you logged off. This would be more realistic. If you are disconnected or log off with something within that set distance your ship stays in game for a set amount of time then dissappears. I figure this is one of the only ways to stop people from combat logging.

The Idea with moving to the next port by the time you are offline sounds pretty nice.

Get this movement in invisible, if you comeback before you are there you are between the logout point and the next port GREAT IDEA.

I Hope you cant set sails to any port and go offline and your ship is going to move there, this would unbalance Trading.

If this gets in you would every day login, set the ride to the port which you want, before you are leaving you Buy Trading goods which are selled at maximum cost to the other port, so you make money as hell and have nothing to do than buy the goods, you even cant get attacked by PVP if you are invisible while offline.

Maybe it could be possible that way if you are not invisible and a Bot AI is commaning your ship for that time, and its reachable for PVP, that would maybe be a tradeoff.

+You can sail while offline

-You can loose everything because only a Bot AI is commanding your ship, which have to be a easy AI. and its open for PVP