Game-Labs Forum

my 2 cents..

I feel a little presumptuous being so new around here, but since my son bought me this game  I play it an awful lot (as well as a bunch of other combat sims) and put together a laundry list of items that I thought would be nice to see in future versions. I haven’t spent enough time in the forum yet to know if any of these have already been covered, so I apologize in advance if I’m going over old ground but I LOVE THIS GAME and want to help it really succeed.

-saving ship designs. Perhaps even a format for sharing them?

-battle playback. Sometimes action is so fast and furious that I can’t keep up with the data reports coming in.  What caused my ship to just detonate?, etc.. Also extremely useful for those of us who like to make media with this fantastic looking game.

-a library of pre-built historical ships (Hood, Bismarck, Mikasa, Oslyabya, Potemkin, Olympia, Maine, et al.)

-a library of notable battles, you can choose a side and your ship and/or fleet is ready to go. Manila Bay, Tsushima, Jutland, Denmark Strait, Leyte Gulf….

-an ‘offset’ option for fine tuning placement of parts once mounted for better ship balance and fit.

-a color picker for hull and parts. How else to build the Great White Fleet? The Russian 2nd Pacific Squadron?

-unlocking all hulls is great, but what about towers? Sometimes you need a cage mast on a 130,000 ton hull.  I’m also often wishing there were more mounting options for these and barbettes.

-’advanced’ level ship of design where major internal components could be arranged, magazines, machinery, boilers, coal/fuel bunkers, to better stabilize your ship. I guess that is implied by placement of funnels, turrets etc., but might be nice to be able to slide things around a bit below decks. Also would be nice to clearly visually show where armor belts and extensions are located and x-ray view of your ship, a la WarThunder, maybe even adjust placement of them to better protect your vitals or save some weight.

-being able to to pick the time/weather at the start of a battle. Also, night actions with searchlights?

-pre-battle arrangement of fleet.  I now make it a practice to start my fleet actions at near maximum range, just to give my ships time to get into a formation of my choosing rather than random.  Would be great if there was a screen where I could quickly set my formations and divisions up before spawning, so they were ready for action right away.

-actual smoke on the northern horizon? Helpful in anticipating direction/speed of enemy fleet movement.

-key bindings for game speed? Or for everything else for that matter.  I use ctrl-alt-shift-z ALL the time… would be nice to be able to just assign it to a single key.

-I love that the ricochet shells are so nicely animated, but it’s weird that they don’t splash when they hit the sea. In general the water looks terrific, but the splashes are sort of ‘thin’ and the particles extra large.  I am not a programmer so I don’t know if this is a limitation of unity, but secondary splashes and more damaged debris flying off from major hits would be nice to see. Knocked over masts and spars, wrecked superstructure and turrets, holes in funnels, smashed lifeboats all could enhance the visual experience. 

-no matter how many bulkheads I put in my vessels, they have the same number of lines in the damage graphic.  I love the way the graphics are not generic and show your (or targets’) exact ship, so I thought this would be a nice but not too difficult addition.

-incoming shellfire sounds seem also ‘thin’.  I keep expecting to hear the whooshing oncoming freight train roar of large shells overhead.

-would be great if flooding damage affected ship stability and vessels would roll over and sink upside down (with still spinning propellers) due to becoming unbalanced.  

-Amphibious operations and land battles. I play a lot of Napoleon TW with The Great War mod, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth.  And no way to simulate Russo-Japanese War.  So a component (or separate game?) covering late 19th and early 20th Century ground operations would be just fantastic.  Hell I'd pay a lot for just a Port Arthur sim. Naval bombardment, fortress construction, mining, tunneling...

-spotting aircraft that could increase long range accuracy.

-AIRSHIPS!!! (armed with bombs or for spotting)-maybe that one should be a different game…

Anyway, thank you devs for this much needed sim!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yeah most of these have been mentioned but! They are still excellent ideas regardless, about the shells i agree with that i think we should have different models of ricoheting, shattered and bounced shells, maybe even different lengths and sizes depending on nation, filler and type.

Yeah hiding the UI needs a button or new hotkey. Pre-battle stuff will probs feature in the campaign. Also agree on additional death animations for ships, makes it more immersive as well and even have fire from secondaries become a hazard if damage control is up to par, or different types of explosions etc.

Also design stuff should come later but like i said i agree with all of this. Amazing game for a 3-5 man team too be honest, i struggle to model the queens hotel nevermind realistic ships lol!

• Like 2

would be great if flooding damage affected ship stability and vessels would roll over and sink upside down (with still spinning propellers) due to becoming unbalanced.  

I think they kind of due that already. I think I have had issues due to excessive listing not allowing me to properly shoot.

If I remember ships do capsize when sinking. But a few will just break apart and sink in place depending on how it sank.

4 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Yeah most of these have been mentioned but!

Yet this is the first one with #wishlist tag. We need a better organisation. Twilight_Sparkle.jpeg

maybe even different lengths and sizes depending on nation, filler and type.

Don't forget - timeline/tech level (I hope to witness how dat narrow-bottom long-range shells will replace WW 1 shorties).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IronKaputt said:

Yet this is the first one with #wishlist tag. We need a better organisation. Twilight_Sparkle.jpeg

Ye, its just most of the ideas are either stuck in the ship designer thread or in the planning for updates section essentially.

6 hours ago, IronKaputt said:

Don't forget - timeline/tech level (I hope to witness how dat narrow-bottom long-range shells will replace WW 1 shorties).

Oh i was going for a more visual thing than an actual game mechanic, but it seems like the fillers in game have the wrong dates associated with them and appear at the wrong times too, so that needs to be addressed, we could also do with spliting both into fillers and propellants as well to make it easier as to what they do.

We could do with more shell types as well, since we didn't just have AP and shells would of evolved as time went on as well interms of performance and looks.

Maybe Quad hulls as well i think they were a thing as far as i remember.

9 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Ye, its just most of the ideas are either stuck in the ship designer thread or in the planning for updates section essentially.

I know, but a pinned thread, dedicated to sharing and discussion our sick twisted fantasies brillian ideas would be nice too. That, and a FAQ page, so maybe we'll stop being blessed by "Are carriers there yet?" topics every couple of weeks.

9 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Oh i was going for a more visual thing than an actual game mechanic

Visuals are always welcome, naturally. Who doesn't want to see enemy ship missing bow or going down Hood-style (and I wonder, how many will apreciate minor details, like heavier shells being longer and ballistic cap deformes or missing after ricochet. I will for sure).

11 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

but it seems like the fillers in game have the wrong dates associated with them and appear at the wrong times too, so that needs to be addressed, we could also do with spliting both into fillers and propellants as well to make it easier as to what they do.

Devs are going to split fillers and propellants, if I recall correctly. Time to ask for wear reducing additives.

We could do with more shell types as well

Normal, Illuminating, long-range (for coastal bombardment). What else is currently missing?

and shells would of evolved as time went on as well in terms of performance and looks.

Keeping my fingers crossed for RTW-like tech tree, so performance and looks of every part could be designed and tuned accordingly (torpedo bulge or belt, rivets or welding, dat bulbous bow). Instead of package deal we have now.

12 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Maybe Quad hulls as well

Hulls or turrets?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IronKaputt said:

I know, but a pinned thread, dedicated to sharing and discussion our sick twisted fantasies brillian ideas would be nice too. That, and a FAQ page, so maybe we'll stop being blessed by "Are carriers there yet?" topics every couple of weeks.

Yeah i agree with both, but you will still get people asking stuff if the wows forum is anything to go by at all.

Visuals are always welcome, naturally. Who doesn't want to see enemy ship missing bow or going down Hood-style (and I wonder, how many will apreciate minor details, like heavier shells being longer and ballistic cap deformes or missing after ricochet. I will for sure).

Yeah, i just think it makes the game look soo much nicer, professional plus also pretty cinematic as well (excellent for screenies lol).

Devs are going to split fillers and propellants, if I recall correctly. Time to ask for wear reducing additives.

I've forgotten due to immense real life stuff going on (and the bloody lockdown lol).

Normal, Illuminating, long-range (for coastal bombardment). What else is currently missing?

Guess APB, APBC, APHE, HEI, Smoke shells. The other types are more specific, im not sure if gas shells were a thing for naval forces however.

Keeping my fingers crossed for RTW-like tech tree, so performance and looks of every part could be designed and tuned accordingly (torpedo bulge or belt, rivets or welding, dat bulbous bow). Instead of package deal we have now.

Hulls or turrets?

Same, i do like how RTW does their research based tech tree system, seeing visuals of welded and bolted plus torp bulge armour would be cool to see visually. but that will probs be what the campaign will be like in general.

Both, defo quad gun turrets (maybe even quintuples xD). I think quad layered hulls where a thing but im not entirely sure however.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 4:28 PM, Cptbarney said:

im not sure if gas shells were a thing for naval forces however.

Quick googling says they were not, but choking hazard definitely was, and I hope for some sort of "smoke in compartment" situation (Warspite vs Giulio Cesare scenario) then we get our fairies crew.

Same, i do like how RTW does their research based tech tree system, seeing visuals of welded and bolted plus torp bulge armour would be cool to see visually.

Also gives our shipfus much appreciated individuality and historical accuracy (Yamato superior hydrodynamics, Richelieu all-angle loading turrets with functional bulkhead ets).

Both, defo quad gun turrets (maybe even quintuples xD).

To be fair, Ferrati's checkers seems more inventive than straightforward Tillman's afro comb. My vote for unorthodox gun layout goes however to Smolensk DP quads, there More Dakka! meets Place Saving Ideas.

I think quad layered hulls where a thing but im not entirely sure however.

Quad bottom was planned for Project 24 battleships, and I wanna!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IronKaputt said:

Quick googling says they were not, but choking hazard definitely was, and I hope for some sort of "smoke in compartment" situation (Warspite vs Giulio Cesare scenario) then we get our fairies crew.

ahh, thats a shame but oh well, we could defo use more in-ship hazards as well that effect the crew and the ship itself.

Also gives our shipfus much appreciated individuality and historical accuracy (Yamato superior hydrodynamics, Richelieu all-angle loading turrets with functional bulkhead ets).

Yes pls, i want a 520mm quad turret kremlin at 120k-140k tonnes. Balans as all things should be. But yeah Rule the waves does allow for some interesting takes on things plus allows you to be quite historically accurate if you wish (as their graphics allows of course).

To be fair, Ferrati's checkers seems more inventive than straightforward Tillman's afro comb. My vote for unorthodox gun layout goes however to Smolensk DP quads, there More Dakka! meets Place Saving Ideas.

Ahh yes bloody smolensk lol, I wonder if we can get quad 130mms in this game just to reproduce such balans. 20-21inch quintuples would be so aesthetically pleasing and scary to look at lol.

Quad bottom was planned for Project 24 battleships, and I wanna!

Noice, hope to see these changes or some of them around alpha 8-12 (obviously campaign will take up a huge amount of time and resources.)

Edited by Cptbarney
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

ahh, thats a shame but oh well, we could defo use more in-ship hazards as well that effect the crew and the ship itself.

Well, since such shells did existed, I can imagine them being used by navy (mostly for coastal bombardment probably) with a chance to turn your own ship into floating gasenwagen. Many of us here to write our own stories and make our own history. Still not a top priority, I guess. Looks more like a job for a Modman.

2 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Yes pls, i want a 520mm quad turret kremlin at 120k-140k tonnes.

I'm currently more interested in soviet (italian?)-style superimposed secondaries layout. Those meddling destroyers seems to become a problem. And superstructures mos def should become more flexible.

2 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Balans as all things should be. But yeah Rule the waves does allow for some interesting takes on things plus allows you to be quite historically accurate if you wish (as their graphics allows of course).

Balance is tricky. I believe the game will benefit greatly from flexible game settings and tailor made treaties, allowing all kind of players enjoy it the way they like. Take "IL-2 Sturmovik" as example, there you can play simulator, arcade or everything in-between. Instead of "I don't wanna babysit a crew, abandon ship!"

Ahh yes bloody smolensk lol, I wonder if we can get quad 130mms in this game just to reproduce such balans.

I hope we can get them up to 152 mm, putting KM-52 into action. Historically existed and planned designs is a great educational way to introduce the tech (and avoiding bieng caller RTW ripof), but it should be a guide, not a limiter.

5 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

20-21inch quintuples would be so aesthetically pleasing and scary to look at lol.

Yep, 4x4 layout, 510 mm, 2.5 ton super-heavy, 5.5 caliber shells. Marvelous.
And yes, devs did a great job on artillery fire and sinking ships (very chilling groan of a duying beast). Hope incoming shells will become appropriately terryfying.

• Like 1