Game-Labs Forum

Game balance in fighting situations

Hi Folks, yesterday i had an fighting engagement with 2 players in formal weaker ships from a strong pirate clan. They had an USS Consti and an endy, i had an purple wasa (buildt out of excellent "normal" wood) and for rear support an AI indefatigable.

The attackers were surely good players and acted with 2 ships. I suppose they were buildt up out of seasoned woods, with best components, books, port bonus and so on.

I thought at the beginning this is an interesting fight, with surely equal fighting conditions, but...... i had no chance, in five minutes the battle was over, the wasa was sunk, my Ai could evade.

What i am worried about the Situation:  They do not act like raiders, with formal weaker ships, they do not manouver in a behind situation to kill my crew. No, they are acting like lineships, voting the board to board situation and shot my ship into pieces. I tryed to reduce their backboard side with double load but only little effect.

Summary: The game balance is not working, if the superiority of ships with (s) wood is so high against ships with normal woods. The game fun is, in my opinion, for both sides destroyed. The guys are easily bored, because kills are almost very easy, the frustrations of the players without any access to (s) woods grows and grows.

To The Devs: Pls reduce the gap between both Groups, thank you

Thank you for your comment,

what do you mean HP?? sorry do you mean BR: that was estimated 720 my side ot 650 their side. Or do you mean expierience, well i am Vice Admiral and need a little step to full admiral. Enemy was both full admiral....

or do you mean HP = Hit Points. By my purple wasa very high, it was a heavily armoured ship. Well i did not controlled that, when i sunk…..but i had nt underwater hits or something else. They still bottomed me down in a very short very curios time :)

Ferdinand

well yes could be, but the point is, normally the smaller enemies uses the advantages of speed, manouverabolity and so on. But the act like line ships searching the board to board situation, beside i have more and bigger cannons (and formally better protection).

That is what i found strange. Conclusion their ships have an immense superiority of protection (because of seasoned woods) even they are formal lighter ships. That is for me a grievious lack of fighting balance. So i demand to reduce the Advantages of seasoned Woods.

I am pretty sure they do the same against third or maybe second rate ships. And this is fully ridicolous.

Teamwork wins the day.  They probably both focused on you and one of your sides while you and the AI split your targets.  Besides, since the battle ended quickly for you I'm willing to bet that the battle happened at close quarters where the Consti's carronades worked you over really quickly.

So yeah, if the Indefatigable was a player you guys would have been able to cover each other and work together to open up the distance from the Constitution where your long guns would have been able to work her over Battle of Valparaiso style.

2 proper stern rakes from 42p caro consti and your wasa is about done..... 1/4 main structure and close to 200 crew gone. with 2 players working on you it is not hard for one to just position for that move over and over. 

endymion can mount poods which give great dpm and damage (better than 24p) 

ships do not have to be seasoned nor with fancy modules. its 2v1 and the wasa is a weak ship.... not enough damage to keep them away and too slow to avoid them. endymion alone could have taken you

On 3/20/2020 at 6:55 AM, Ferdinand de LaSalle said:

Thank you for your comment,

what do you mean HP?? sorry do you mean BR: that was estimated 720 my side ot 650 their side. Or do you mean expierience, well i am Vice Admiral and need a little step to full admiral. Enemy was both full admiral....

or do you mean HP = Hit Points. By my purple wasa very high, it was a heavily armoured ship. Well i did not controlled that, when i sunk…..but i had nt underwater hits or something else. They still bottomed me down in a very short very curios time :)

Ferdinand

i ment if you managed to focus only one side of your ship or if you managed to spread the damage over both of your sides, because as you lose hp on one side the thickness on that side wears off, but yea as boatymcboatface says, you would likely not stand a chance anyway considering the ships you faced and the ship you had. To bad the devs base the Hit Points on the ships by tons burthen which i think is wrong in therms of balancing the ships..

Edited by erelkivtuadrater