Game-Labs Forum

Does speed and maneuvering effect flooding?

CzarPeppers

One thing I have been doing quite a bit if one of my ships start flooding severely is decreasing speed, because I know generally in real life slowing down or stopping altogether can decrease the speed of the flooding. Is this actually modeled in this game? It would be a great addition if it wasn't, lending to some interesting risk vs reward decisions. 

Yeah i think it does, i've noticed sometimes my ships seem to take on more water as they go faster but ill need to test this more to truely get a decent answer.

if not it should defo be a feature unless its unrealistic (which i doubt it is).

10 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Yeah i think it does, i've noticed sometimes my ships seem to take on more water as they go faster but ill need to test this more to truely get a decent answer.

if not it should defo be a feature unless its unrealistic (which i doubt it is).

There was one time I was doing a hard turn to port and my flooding increased dramatically, then when I straightened my course up it seemed to come back under control. Don't know if this was a case of above waterline damage dipping below the surface in the hard turn. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CzarPeppers said:

There was one time I was doing a hard turn to port and my flooding increased dramatically, then when I straightened my course up it seemed to come back under control. Don't know if this was a case of above waterline damage dipping below the surface in the hard turn. 

when i was playing the german mission i noticed that when the light cruisers got hit, and flooded slowing down did help to decrease flood rates and i noticed the percentage for flood going down less dramatically than i was at a higher speed.

also anti-flood helps but speed and turning does seem to factor into how badly something can flood.

5 hours ago, Atreides said:

There are two ways to take on water, and each has a different way of dealing with it.

1st way is from leaks, best way is to use wind position to heel your ship to have holes above waterline until they are repaired.

2nd way is from damage, even without leaks indicated: for these the status of your sails has the biggest impact regardless of what your velocity is (ex. you are going 0.1 knot at full sail)  full sail you take on water at 100% speed, battle sail 60% and full stop 25%.  Those are the numbers IIRC from a patch buried somewhere in this forum, but it might have been tweaked (multiple times) so the exact numbers are a mystery to me. 

I have been in battles where was taking on water as I was repairing hull, the only reason I survived was I went full stop to slow the intake of water until I was able to recover.  Hopefully someone has the actual numbers written down or can find the info, I'm just running on memory.

This is UA: Dreadnoughts.....I think you just described Naval Action.   Though I assume it's something like this in the other games, but I know UA: AoS doesn't have leaks like we have in NA.   Though I assume from the few times I had flooding it does slow your ships down from that game.   No clue on UA:D

2 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

when i was playing the german mission i noticed that when the light cruisers got hit, and flooded slowing down did help to decrease flood rates and i noticed the percentage for flood going down less dramatically than i was at a higher speed.

also anti-flood helps but speed and turning does seem to factor into how badly something can flood.

This experience (faster speed = faster flooding) has been mine as well, or at least seemingly so - maybe it's just skewed perspective, or we're both crazy, but at least you're not alone.

While designing a BC specifically for maximum flank speed, I had an inevitable underwater breach of my tin-foil hull while in a full 41-kn sprint. The resulting rate of flooding was downright terrifying, though thankfully only for a few ass-clenching moments before the Anti-Flood III and Aux III modules worked their magic. Then all was saved!

...Until the next hit detonated my magazine. Not a fan of BCs.

• Like 1

im 99% sure it does, i was watching my ship get hit while traveling 49 knots, 12" gun caused floding wich spread to 3 other compartments untill it the ship got below 30 knots at wich anti-flooding III took care of it...... im not sure about manuvering tho

Edited by Dedlike