Game-Labs Forum

Port Points and the Impact on RvR - Upgrade port points

RvR is not only rather stale at the moment because of the high BR on all ports (it's far too high) but also the points assigned to each port.

Being the caring considerate folks that most of us are we don't want to cripple any other nations ability to be competitive in OW PvP, and most of the shipbuilding ports are county capitals.

So, why not allow clans to upgrade the amount of port points with VMs? Make it excessive. Now that the shipyards have been built, there's not really much of a use for them since we can't convert them so allow each port to be upgraded to a 55 point port or a 50 point port or whatever. The more decent ports there are, the more willing people will be willing to attack them because they know it won't knock their enemies out of the game.

• Like 10

The Port Points (and BR) should be related to captain interaction. All ports should have started very low. Then the more captains creating clan warehouses, resource buildings, crafting houses, etc would raise the Port Points. Nations would also be require to deliver standard goods regularly to maintain the points. The points would drop the more deliveries that got missed. If it happened too often, then the port would revolt to Neutral. All these things, plus the forts and towers, would also correlate to the port's BR.

TLDR, yes, player interaction should have raised the Port Points and these points should correlate to the Port BR.

• Like 1

RvR would be much more active if there were more low-BR ports to attack, and if frontline system didn't block choice of targets. That's it.

2 hours ago, Koveras said:

mods that effectively creates "I-win" scenarios

Oh, for hell's sake, will people ever stop using this excuse? There are no mods which would guarantee victory, or mods which wouldn't be available to everyone who wants to buy them. Ganking is a much bigger "I win" button, so is skill, or a higher tier ship.

Edited by vazco
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, vazco said:

RvR would be much more active if there were more low-BR ports to attack, and if frontline system didn't block choice of targets. That's it.

Frontline needs more restriction from Free Towns allowing for only 1 nearby Regional capital, imo.

5 minutes ago, Koveras said:

This isn't a skill-based game. It's a gear-based game.

This was tested so many times, it's boring people still bring it up. Being in a modded ship, you personally have no chance against a good opponent in a ship without any mods. If you want to try it out, just let me know and I can organize it. Until the time you do, please don't bring up this argument. It's not true.

1 hour ago, Koveras said:

This isn't a skill-based game. It's a gear-based game. And while it is true that u can easily win in a gankgroup, the fact is that there are mods that effectively removes strategies available to the opponent in 1v1 PvP battles, without anyway for the opponent to know. This creates a "I-win" scenario in any 1v1 PvP match. Gear - is not a skill, and while I believe gear should be important, it should not be the deciding factor in a match.

Exactly, that's why I say the best OW PVP this game has ever enjoyed was the first couple of weeks after Release. Similar ships and most importantly no mod stacks, port bonuses and fantasy books. 

The game would be so much better if they abandoned Port Bonuses,Mods and Books. Bring the game back to ship choice, wood choice and bow figureheads. Nothing more.

15 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Gear also matters.

Thats why even those who are often in the pvp leaderboard use expensive upgrades like copper plating, improved sextant, northern master carpenters, naval clock, elite french rig refit, elite spanish rig refit, navy planking along with gunnery enciclopedia and art of ship handling books.

You should see some of my builds :D

Basic hull ftw!

13 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Being the caring considerate folks that most of us are we don't want to cripple any other nations ability to be competitive in OW PvP, and most of the shipbuilding ports are county capitals.

From my point of view, being from the port that you have been raiding along with the other 6 nations I do not really see much truth in your statement. My guess is that the reason you wish to increase the points in a port is more self serving than anything else. You know full well that even if the points were increased that materials would need to be brought in which they cant while the port is blockaded. But nice thought though.

19 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Thats why even those who are often in the pvp leaderboard use expensive upgrades like copper plating, improved sextant, northern master carpenters, naval clock, elite french rig refit, elite spanish rig refit, navy planking along with gunnery enciclopedia and art of ship handling books.

They don't :) Those mods are expensive, and people who are on top of the leaderboard participate in risky fights, where they can sink many before they die (or survive). It's too risky to use those mods all the time, and not really necessary. Just go to PZ, get a good ship, a small group of skilled players, and kill waves and waves of less skilled opponents, usually in redeemable ships (which makes them not care so much). Quite often get ganked and killed in the end. This is often the quickest way to a leaderboard.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

You should see some of my builds :D

Basic hull ftw!

It's mostly same for HAVOC's day-to-day PvP. People often don't have mods like northern carpenters, let alone any of the elite mods.

I like the idea of a port being raided , it's infrastructure wrecked but not totally destroyed and still having the ability to rebuild ( at least one time ) and goods seized from the port

This would allow a nation an amount of time to either rebuild it's defences or remove it's ships before destruction. Right now , with some of our player base, we have people who will throw their toys out of the pram and threaten to stop playing if they lose their crafting base

I'd also like a detterent on clans owning too many ports , an increased cost scaleable and thus making it more likely to be left in the hands of another clan ( alts even, don't care ) and timers being the same for all of a clans ports

Stale RVR has come about as there is now more to lose. However, many of these ideas have been put forward before and I am not sure if there is the appetite for more tinkering, after years of it already

*durability on the largest, bestest ports is what i was trying to say , that can be rebuilt , using surplus materials

Edited by Vizzini
clarity

On 7/28/2019 at 12:31 AM, Raekur said:

From my point of view, being from the port that you have been raiding along with the other 6 nations I do not really see much truth in your statement. My guess is that the reason you wish to increase the points in a port is more self serving than anything else. You know full well that even if the points were increased that materials would need to be brought in which they cant while the port is blockaded. But nice thought though.

The convoy was invented a long time ago, not my fault you don't use the concept.

I'm not stopping you from building, just hindering it.