Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

16 hours ago, JonnyH13 said:

It is amusing.

It was amusing when one of the Virginia brigades sailed right  across a stream to get to the Union rear at Henry Hill; but then bogged down in the stream coming back across. The 143rd PA Inf. got off two volleys at them while they wallowed mid-stream, then a battery of Horse Artillery let go at close range. Hors de combat for that group of Rebs.

Final Report from Bull Run

Beauregard - MIA; most of his command shattered

Jackson - last seen being pursued by Union cavalry; most of his command shattered long before Johnston reinforcements arrived.

Johnston - last seen surrounded by Union brigades; most of his command shattered or in retreat.

CSA losses - 16,146 Inf.; 61 guns; 380 Cavalry; 2,125 missing (CSA lost 20,147 out of 23,562 personnel)

Union losses - 6,689 Inf.; 11 guns; 248 Cavalry (Union lost 7,224 out of 17,723 personnel)

Report from Richmond:

Civilians starting to evacuate the city...

Significant aspects of the battle:

Ignored Stone Bridge in the beginning and positioned all early Union brigades at the ford north of the bridge.  One CSA cavalry brigade broke through but was chased down by the the Union Cavalry Scouts and destroyed. Held the ford until Sherman and accompanying batteries arrived; then pushed the ford. Keyes was sent to the Stone Bridge to provide an distraction.

All of Beauregard's batteries were destroyed in their withdrawal from Matthews Hill; the Union made a slow steady push supported by artillery, brigades at 50% condition were allowed to rest before continuing. Having a strong Union position on the south side of the  ford, meant that CSA units withdrawing from Matthews Hill were mostly flanked as they tried to get back to Henry Hill.

The three Union Cavalry brigades were used to scout the CSA flanks and rear; the best results were that many CSA brigades pulled away from their line to deal with the cavalry threat. This greatly weakened the main CSA battle lines. Union cavalry was used to destroy routed CSA brigades on the CSA flanks.

Johnston's counter attack was mostly just Johnston's brigades and batteries, leaving him out gunned in terms of batteries. A Union 4 gun battery of Parrots was assigned to counter battery fire, and almost single-handedly destroyed a much larger CSA battery.

Union brigades down to half-strength were joined together to form larger brigades for the counter attack; this was rather successful as none of those joined brigades routed in the face of Confederate charges. Because Jackson's brigades were driven off of Henry's Hill very early; the Union was in total uncontested control of the hill long before Johnston arrived. This meant that all Union units were at 100% condition when Johnston attacked.

Edited by BCH
grammar
  • Like 1

Is the Detach Skirmishers button meant to be disabled? Is this a perk that I have to unlock for my infantry brigades before I can use it, or is it related to the weapons brigades use? I am using the J&P + Capture Rebalance mod if that's important.

5 hours ago, Jbeil said:

Is the Detach Skirmishers button meant to be disabled? Is this a perk that I have to unlock for my infantry brigades before I can use it, or is it related to the weapons brigades use? I am using the J&P + Capture Rebalance mod if that's important.

Yes, detached skirmishers were disabled due to the many exploits they allow. Deployment slots for all battles were increased so the player can bring roughly 1 extra dedicated skirmisher unit per division to compensate. In the Mod/ConfigFile.csv there is also a disableSkirmishers setting that can be changed to false if you want though.

Certainly ran afoul of scaling etc. at Logan's Crossing:

Two entire Union divisions destroyed.

Might not have been so bad, but I was facing at least five 3 star brigades (that I counted); seven 2 star brigades (ditto) and the rest 1 star. I was able to hold on until the timer was at :45 and then was swarmed by the remainder of the CSA units.

Not sure what triggered that set-up; I am going to replay it of course. First from a save before the battle and next from a save prior to setting up my II Corp.

Ugly, ugly battle

Edited by BCH
add'l text

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

You don't have to hold the flag at cross roads, you have several hours after that timer expires to recapture it. It's probably possible to win that setup with almost no casualties if you have the right army comp and get lucky with the AI.

I never try to hold the flag at the cross roads; I pull back at the onset to entice the CSA units to capture the flag under battery fire, etc. I won the battle on a replay, but the rewards for winning are minimal.

Starting troops:

Union - Inf. 6,849 vs CSA Inf. 19,314
Union - Cav 350 vs CSA Cav 443
Union - Art - 1,250 vs CSA Art.1,066

Total Union - 8,449 vs CSA - 20,883

Battle deaths - Union vs CSA

Inf - 3,988 vs 14,488
Art - 395 vs 784
Cav - 216 vs 272
Missing - 0 vs 151

Total 4,599 vs 15,695

CSA Units:

Stevens Brgd 1 - 3* 850 total
Stevens Brgd 2 - 3* 850
Johnston Brgd 1 - 3* 800
Johnston Brgd 2 - 3* 800
Gibson Brgd  - 2* 1,274
Martin Brgd - 2* 1,534
Pond Brgd - 2* 1,480
Anderson Brgd 1 - 2* 997
Anderson Brgd 2 - 2* 997
Stewart Brgd 1 - 2* 1,177
Stewart Brgd 2 - 2* 1,177
Russell Brgd 1 - 2* 1,280
Russell Brgd 2 - 2* 1,280
Art Batt. - 2* 290
Art Batt 1 - 2 * 272
Art Batt 1 - 2* 272
Cav - 2* 443
Skrm - 2*
Skrm - 1*
Skrm - unknown amount firing from hidden position in woods.

If this is the intended CSA deployment for the Crossroads so be it.

This was a crushing defeat for the Confederates; but the Union has nothing to show for it. Captured weapons were non-existent, unless you count 400 or so Farmers. I Corp brigades down to half strength or less with very few weapons of their own recovered.

I have the dollars and manpower to bring I Corp back to full strength as they were before the Crossroads; however it will be very difficult to increase brigade sizes to deal with the 3,000+ manpower brigades the CSA will have at Shiloh. The 5% CSA troop reduction only amounts to aprox. 3,000 and the CSA total at Shiloh will be close to 60,000 or above.

16 minutes ago, BCH said:

This was a crushing defeat for the Confederates; but the Union has nothing to show for it. Captured weapons were non-existent, unless you count 400 or so Farmers.

Based on the infantry kills of 14,488 you should have recovered around 1.4k rifles. Was that not the case? The split units should be giving weapon recovery.

Edited by pandakraut

Nothing but the 400 or so Farmers - My mistake, I was looking at the massive Union defeat, not the 2nd try at the battle. It worked out to about 1.4k muskets.

Playing it for the 3rd time; I will post the results when I finish

Edited by BCH

1 hour ago, BCH said:

Nothing but the 400 or so Farmers - My mistake, I was looking at the massive Union defeat, not the 2nd try at the battle. It worked out to about 1.4k muskets.

Playing it for the 3rd time; I will post the results when I finish

Ahh good. Not another bug at least :)

38 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Ahh good. Not another bug at least :)

No bugs..

3rd times a charm..

Started battle:

Union total 8,919 vs CSA 13,190 (no split brigades, still a lot of 2 & 3 * units) Not sure what triggers CSA totals, I actually increased most Union brigades from 1,000 to 1,100 and expected CSA totals to go up, not down

Battle end:

Union losses 1,627 vs CSA 7,374

I pulled back the  initial Union forces to just south of the NW woods. I used cavalry to spot CSA skirmishers in the woods, that enabled the initial Union battery to fire upon them.

I brought Union reinforcements in to create a crescent shaped line extending into the edge of the NW woods after driving off the CSA brigade in the woods and capturing the two skirmisher units with Union Cavalry. I then re-positioned cavalry to the east of the NW woods to scout for any CSA units trying to get back into the woods.

The crescent shaped line allowed almost every Union brigade to fire upon the CSA brigades trying to sit on the VP and those attempting to charge the Union line. The Union line was backed up by 5 batteries totaling 50 guns. CSA batteries were late getting into position to fire on the Union line. Once it seemed unlikely that the Confederates were going to attack the left flank anchored in the woods, Union cavalry was sent to the CSA rear to harass those batteries. Eventually a 3* CSA brigade chased the Union cavalry off to the east, but in doing so took themselves out of  the battle for a while (Union cavalry survived).

Eventually, I had the Union brigade with the highest Melee stats take the VP and immediately withdraw behind the Union line; the Confederates retook it once and were driven off. The  same Union brigade repeated the process; the Confederates were unable to retake the position.

Edited by BCH
grammar
  • Like 1

Shiloh is impossible as the Union on the MG level.

8 Batteries focused firing  at canister range on a single 3,000+ CSA Brigade 2* with 6 Union brigades also firing could not break it.

As long as the CSA spawn those massive brigades across the whole of the Confederate army for Shiloh, pointless to play at that level.

1.22d is a great mod.. coding behind Shiloh is terrible. It would be different if it was one large map; there would be an opportunity to out maneuver those massive brigades. The set piece maps keep you from withdrawing Union units into a proper position to defend the Landing.

Taking a break.. good luck

• Like 1

If you decide to give it another try you may want to try turning off the varianceMode, that will be an extra layer of difficulty on top of an already tough battle. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about the phases at this point.

The sizes for Shiloh should probably come down a bit. I'm sure the battle is still winnable on MG but the initial bar for clearing it is probably higher than it should be. There is a new feature that I'm pretty excited about that I'm trying to get working. If it goes well I can get that in and we can look at Union Shiloh a bit as well.

Yeah, you just have to take the hard fights as they come. I haven't had much time to play over the last few months, but it looks like panda and Jonny are saving battle balance tweaks for the end of development, as they should.

There are ways to win (I hold in force in the south woods at Logan's Crossroads for example), but it often requires multiple replays, extensive scouting, and some very artful play in the extremely lopsided battles like Shiloh.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, killjoy1941 said:

Yeah, you just have to take the hard fights as they come. I haven't had much time to play over the last few months, but it looks like panda and Jonny are saving battle balance tweaks for the end of development, as they should.

There are ways to win (I hold in force in the south woods at Logan's Crossroads for example), but it often requires multiple replays, extensive scouting, and some very artful play in the extremely lopsided battles like Shiloh.

Certainly no complaints about panda and jonny and their mods; lots of good advice as well.

MG level starts out with -10% Money/Recruits (Recruits do not seem to be an issue, reduction of money is an issue when you take losses of better equipment); +15% increase to CSA units (minor issue for the single battles, major issue for grand battles that already had a troop advantage at the BG level); -25% reputation ( this is a really big deal even if you achieve a draw; a loss at any point cripples your side)

The reward for doing very well in any given battle is minimal; I was able to inflict 85.5% Confederate casualties at Bull Run as compared to 40% Union casualties (mostly the Union reinforcement brigades). That should have greatly affected CSA at Shiloh, but the reward is no different than just barely winning the Bull Run battle.

I know I am preaching to the choir...

I 'super sized' two brigades (no star)  to start on Shiloh of 2,000 each, and two normal sized skirmishers; just to see if that could slow the initial Confederate advance (4,600 total was all that the game allowed into the start).

The Union faced the following at the start of Shiloh not including artillery:

1,994 2* brigade
3,347 2*
1,801 3*
3,058 2*
1,942 2*

That is a 2.6:1 numerical advantage by itself.

Even pulling back to some of the suggested positions does little to slow the CSA advance north from Shiloh Church. In this test, that 1,994 2* brigade by itself  routed both Union brigades (with 80% Melee value) while they were in 85% cover. When the rest of the CSA brigades caught up, the Union was reduced to 1/3 of its starting strength before the second phase battle started.

We should all know that "doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" defines.

Anyway, just wanted to make it abundantly clear that I am not complaining about the 1.22d mod.; and I greatly appreciate the tips various people share here.

I'm not really sure how to describe things better through text. Might have to see if one of us can get a play through recorded. You really have to avoid melee in almost all cases at Shiloh. There is just no way to get big enough and experienced enough units to matter, especially on MG and higher. Even Jonny mostly avoids it and his answer to every problem is charging it :) 

But seriously, a lot of our time in that battle is spent getting big units to charge after skirmishers, or exposing their flanks to canister, falling back to cancel charges, and such. You are just outnumbered so much early on you have to abuse the AI on the higher difficulties currently. For an example of what is possible, you can cut the AI numbers in half in the first phase. The 2nd phase the best I've done is maybe a quarter, but even that makes the later phases much easier. On legendary it still takes me at least half a dozen restarts to get that first phase to play out well though and one well played charge by the AI can end the battle at pretty much any point.

Thanks for sticking with it as long as you did and all the feedback you have provided. Enjoy your break, hopefully I can lure you back with the next release. Individual officer's should be a bit more unique soon...

3 hours ago, BCH said:

Anyway, just wanted to make it abundantly clear that I am not complaining about the 1.22d mod.; and I greatly appreciate the tips various people share here.

I know you're not. I'm sure your feedback has been invaluable.

I won MG Shiloh with variance on by the extensive use of skirmishers. I used small skirmisher units with throwaway weapons to bait the CSA brigades all over the church and Spain Field maps. I delayed the assaults until my reinforcements reached the field, and I faced exhausted brigades which were then quickly routed over and over again thanks to the morale penalty. So long as you keep your skirmishers alive and behind the CSA lines, they can't ever build coordinated assaults if you keep them occupied. It's extremely difficult and basically cheating, but it works.

Edit: Oh, and go full training with your initial build. You don't really need the recruit experience for any of the pre-Shiloh battles, but you'll definitely need the instant star for your skirmishers in Shiloh itself. It also allows you to focus on building your army for the battle instead of expending 3+ brigade slots for training up skirmishers before Shiloh.

Edited by killjoy1941
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Thanks for sticking with it as long as you did and all the feedback you have provided. Enjoy your break, hopefully I can lure you back with the next release. Individual officer's should be a bit more unique soon...

A break for me does not constitute quitting ;)

It just means I will be playing Shiloh to experiment with Union order of battle options.

I know my current load out for I Corp can pretty much destroy the initial CSA group that attacks around Shiloh Church; the problem is getting I Corp back to Harrison's Landing for the final CSA push there..

I might be able to change I Corp's order of battle for River Crossing and Logan's Crossroads in order to get some more brigades to 1 or 2 * level. this would give me a much stronger I Corp for Shiloh. The other option is to use a few of the II Corp brigades in River Crossing and the Crossroads to get their stats up as much as possible.

It still may come down to CSA veterancy being too high for Shiloh; the historical fact is that the Confederates, with the exception of some of Bragg's regiments, were not very experienced nor well armed. The Confederates also never out numbered the Union at Shiloh; I understand the game balance in regards to total numbers, MG level is supposed to be challenging.

The other historical issue is the Lexington and Tyler gunboats were extremely important in repulsing the Confederate army trying to take the Landing. In game they are not even close to having the fire power to do that at MG level. The historical Tyler had 1 32pdr, and 6 8inch guns; Lexington had 2 32pdrs and 4 8inch guns. I am not suggesting that we go the other way and make the gunboats OP, but they certainly need an upgrade to help achieve parity against the CSA numbers and veterancy in game.

Additionally, veterancy does not always equate to performance under fire.

General Roy Stone's (Col. at the time Gettysburg) Brigade, consisted of the 149th, 150th, and 143rd PA Volunteer Inf. Regiments raised in 1862, (note: the Original PA 'Bucktails' had been so greatly reduced by the time of the action at Gaines Mill, the 149th, 150th, and 143rd were recruited to make up for the losses). Although Stone's Brigade was at Chancellorsville, they were on the far right flank and the only action was reconnaissance in force and minor skirmisher action. When they arrive at Gettysburg, they are basically untested in battle.

They participated in the 1st day battle at McPherson's Ridge/Farm, and the Railroad Cut. Doubleday's reports considered their position key to the delaying action of the first day. "They repulsed the repeated attacks of vastly superior numbers at close quarters, and maintained their position until the final retreat of the whole line". A. Doubleday.

I realize that this game is not meant to be a true historical simulation, but perhaps  the differences between no star, 1 star, 2 star, 3 star need to be tweaked a bit.

48 minutes ago, BCH said:

The other historical issue is the Lexington and Tyler gunboats were extremely important in repulsing the Confederate army trying to take the Landing. In game they are not even close to having the fire power to do that at MG level. The historical Tyler had 1 32pdr, and 6 8inch guns; Lexington had 2 32pdrs and 4 8inch guns. I am not suggesting that we go the other way and make the gunboats OP, but they certainly need an upgrade to help achieve parity against the CSA numbers and veterancy in game.

This has been on the list for quite a while. Will see about getting it into 1.23. Along with some small size reductions.

49 minutes ago, BCH said:

I realize that this game is not meant to be a true historical simulation, but perhaps  the differences between no star, 1 star, 2 star, 3 star need to be tweaked a bit.

This part is still a ways off(1.3), but we are looking to transfer a bit more power out of perks and into unit stats. More experienced units will still have a large edge, but at least through some battlefield performance a unit will improve more noticeably and getting stuck just below the next cutoff point won't be as significant.

The problem with going a more historical path in terms of rookie units sometimes performing very well or becoming veterans very quickly is that the game mechanics break down. Since the player can always just generate veterans as long as they have money units just don't get worn down the way they did historically. Have some ideas for 1.3, might be able to do more if we increase veteran costs. Will have to experiment.

18 hours ago, killjoy1941 said:

Edit: Oh, and go full training with your initial build. You don't really need the recruit experience for any of the pre-Shiloh battles, but you'll definitely need the instant star for your skirmishers in Shiloh itself. It also allows you to focus on building your army for the battle instead of expending 3+ brigade slots for training up skirmishers before Shiloh. 

I have a save from right after Bull Run that will allow me to experiment with that without a total restart.

I can easily have the following right before Shiloh:

4 economy
6 Training
4 Army Org.
1 Logistics
1 Recon

My initial test allowed me to produce two 1* skirmisher units, but the rest were no star due to a lack of higher officers. If I delay building II Corp till right before Shiloh, I believe I could get as many as five 1* skirmisher units.

I do not know if I can increase training to 7 pre-Shiloh without going back to a Bull Run save and trying it.

I see there is already discussion about the scaling, and I don't want to be rude, but it really is too much. What I want to know is how you guys got to even Shiloh on MG as Union. This is mission 1 of my MG campaign... and it's over. A real shame. I managed to assault the river and take the town, only to immediately find Rebel reinforcements the size of the army I'd just defeated. when they all charged in, there was nothing my exhausted guys could do, and 2 Brigades immediately surrendered.

I was excited for the better designed campaign I read about in the OP, but something I can't stand is artificial difficulty by being outnumbered more than 2:1 from the start. It is not historical, (especially in a Union campaign,) or fun. I hope the scaling is less pronounced on lower difficulties, but I'm out of gaming time ATM, and wanted to get my first impressions out there. If it's as ridiculous as this, I don't think the mod will be for me.scaling.thumb.png.191c6d67dd5617794a66be6e2d70b2ab.png

1 hour ago, Dauntless07 said:

I see there is already discussion about the scaling, and I don't want to be rude, but it really is too much. What I want to know is how you guys got to even Shiloh on MG as Union. This is mission 1 of my MG campaign... and it's over. A real shame. I managed to assault the river and take the town, only to immediately find Rebel reinforcements the size of the army I'd just defeated. when they all charged in, there was nothing my exhausted guys could do, and 2 Brigades immediately surrendered.

I was excited for the better designed campaign I read about in the OP, but something I can't stand is artificial difficulty by being outnumbered more than 2:1 from the start. It is not historical, (especially in a Union campaign,) or fun. I hope the scaling is less pronounced on lower difficulties, but I'm out of gaming time ATM, and wanted to get my first impressions out there. If it's as ridiculous as this, I don't think the mod will be for me.

The intro missions are currently the only battles where the troop sizes have been edited. Though there are several other battles where removing the AI's scaling has significantly increased their troops. Base game Phillipi on MG still has you outnumbered about 2:1, the numbers are just higher in the mod.

To give some context, this mod was originally intended to make Legendary more difficult. In some ways the new tools given to the player make it easier, but in many others it will be more difficult. The weapon damage, perk and condition changes also make it play rather differently than the base game. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve to get used to what will work and what won't even for experienced players of the base game. Our default recommendation is to start on the difficulty below what you would normally play in the base game.

Units are severely penalized for being exhausted in the mod. If your units are exhausted when the second phase of Phillipi starts it means you need to play the first phase a bit differently. Timers have been extended so you have plenty of time to let your units rest up before assaulting the bridges. It's often possible to end up taking the VP with little to no melee in the town which will save a lot of condition.

There are also a few settings you can disable that may make the mod more enjoyable for you. In the Ultimate General Civil War_data/Mod/Rebalance folder there is a ConfigFile.csv and an AIConfigFile.csv. In the AIConfigFile you can change removeSizeCap to false to restore the base games size limits. The unit sizes in the intro missions will not be affected by this however. You probably also want to set varianceMode to false. That setting can be a lot of fun, but can also result in being outnumbered more heavily than normal if you get unlucky. Also, in the ConfigFile you can change disableSkirmishers to false to enable detached skirmishers again. 

Thanks for the feedback and hope you end up finding the mod enjoyable. If not, definitely check out the other mods linked in the forum. They both have a much closer to base game experience.

5 hours ago, Dauntless07 said:

I managed to assault the river and take the town, only to immediately find Rebel reinforcements the size of the army I'd just defeated. when they all charged in, there was nothing my exhausted guys could do, and 2 Brigades immediately surrendered. 

You have a lot of time available to take the town before the counter attack from the Confederates. Use the time to reduce the Confederates initial forces; remember that the village west of the objective is not a victory point. Drive the Confederates out of there with artillery and use your infantry and skirmishers to get some enfilade fire on the village.  This will keep the Infantry and skirmishers in relatively good condition.

Couple of hints

You have enough time to wait until your initial reinforcements arrive. This will give you fire superiority on the west side of the river.

Zook and the skirmishers do not 'have to' take the cliff area nor the woods below it; there is more than one path leading to the village.

Keep your artillery casualties to a minimum; you will need all of them to defend Phillipi from the counter attack.

Damage and hopefully destroy all enemy batteries that come in range; particularly the ones defending Phillipi before it is captured.

While it may not be logical nor historical; prepared defenses are generally death traps.

There are two bridges into Phillipi, you only need to cross one.

8 hours ago, Dauntless07 said:

I was excited for the better designed campaign I read about in the OP, but something I can't stand is artificial difficulty by being outnumbered more than 2:1 from the start. It is not historical, (especially in a Union campaign,) or fun. I hope the scaling is less pronounced on lower difficulties, but I'm out of gaming time ATM, and wanted to get my first impressions out there. If it's as ridiculous as this, I don't think the mod will be for me.scaling.thumb.png.191c6d67dd5617794a66be6e2d70b2ab.png

It is planned for the mod's lower difficulties to be the equivalent to Vanilla BG difficulty at the absolute minimum, with it occasionally straying into  MG difficulty in the late game.  It is suggested the player should be comfortable with Vanilla MG or at the very least finish a BG campaign before trying the mod's BG.  

All battles will be worked on and the intro battles will be revisited once we have all the base mod systems set in stone, which will take a while.  The current Intro battles are not optimized for the new changes Panda added in in 1.22 so it can be less than ideal if you are unlucky and unprepared.  

One of the main reasons why the AI is given the larger army in Vanilla is because the AI is not that good.  With a 1 to 1 ratio, any knowledgeable player can easily beat the AI every single battle. This applies to every single deep strategy game in existence and will continue to apply so long as the AI is worse than a person.

We have found a way to edit the AI are making some progress modding it but it is slow business.