Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

On 6/29/2023 at 10:01 AM, Drizzo said:

I got an interesting bug recently after the very first battle for CSA (MG difficulty). I only lost about 1000 men and somehow got over 2.5k vets and 1.8k wounded soldiers (see attached screenshot).

Thanks for the report. I've seen one other person encounter this but I haven't been able to recreate it to to fix it yet.

Have you adjusted any of the config files? Did you save or load during the battle? I don't know why either of those would have mattered, but they have sometimes caused problems in the past.

Any chance you remember roughly how many killed/woinded the hover text showed on the post battle report? I wonder if the numbers were already inflated by that point.

Restarting would definitely be better for a normal progression in the mod, sorry for the inconvenience.

16 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Thanks for the report. I've seen one other person encounter this but I haven't been able to recreate it to to fix it yet.

Have you adjusted any of the config files? Did you save or load during the battle? I don't know why either of those would have mattered, but they have sometimes caused problems in the past.

Any chance you remember roughly how many killed/woinded the hover text showed on the post battle report? I wonder if the numbers were already inflated by that point.

Restarting would definitely be better for a normal progression in the mod, sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the reply, Panda.

I haven't adjusted any of the config files, only changed the starting perks for units. I also didn't save/load during the mission. The hover casualties pop-up displayed normal numbers. I can't tell you the exactly, but there were small numbers, like 30 killed and 100 wounded.

But, I have another clue. When I replayed the mission, I got this issue again (even bigger vet pool,around 3k). After that I decided to delete save games that I had (the last was after CSA Gaines Mill, and my army was in poor condition). It worked, the bug hasn't occured anymore.

I also thought that high casialties of the command unit could cause the issue (it was tanking some shots during the battle), but after I deleted saves it worked just fine.

So probably it is something with saves, the only thing that comes to mind.  

Edited by Drizzo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Raymond Sebastien said:

Question: Does the Horse Artillery Perk work with "3-Inch Ordnance" also?

I know the Perk works great with "12pdr Howitzer" and "6pdr Field".

It increases the speed of a 3" just like it would the 6pdr. Personally I don't use that perk on rifled guns, I want the extra shot/shell damage and I don't reposition them much. But I know other players do like it.

• Like 1

Good to know. In the past I used the "12pdr Howitzer" and the "6pdr Field", as horse artillery. However, I just tested two units with the "Horse Artillery" Perk, one with "6pdr Field" and the second with "3-Inch Ordnance". Both go at the same speed (yeah !! 🙂 ). I thought the Perk didn't work with 3-Inch Ordnance. My bad.

I want to use 3-Inch Ordnance mainly because historically horse artillery brigades were mostly equipped with this gun.

Just like that, probably my idea is not even applicable in the first place and won't appeal to all players, but I was thinking that since we already have the ability to create Skirmishers, wouldn't it be more desirable to replace the "detach skirmishers" option by a function which would be "detach a regiment" or "split the brigade" in two?

Have a nice day and take care. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raymond Sebastien said:

Just like that, probably my idea is not even applicable in the first place and won't appeal to all players, but I was thinking that since we already have the ability to create Skirmishers, wouldn't it be more desirable to replace the "detach skirmishers" option by a function which would be "detach a regiment" or "split the brigade" in two?

Have a nice day and take care. 🙂

I don't think "replacement" of detach skirmishers option is what you meant here, since skirmishers are very useful and historically accurate. So I guess we are talking about additional option, which allows brigades splitting. That would be great, but unfortunately it is technically impossible as Pandakraut explained earlier here.

If I am not mistaken, the t2 infantry perk that allows you to detach larger skirmisher unit is pursuing the similar purpose.

Edited by Drizzo
  • Like 2

I recently did figure out how to change the unit type of detached skirmishers again, so emulating splitting a brigade into two smaller infantry units is possible. This would remove the ability to detach skirmishers though.

Might get worked into a perk at some point, will have to see.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2023 at 7:42 PM, Drizzo said:

I don't think "replacement" of detach skirmishers option is what you meant here, since skirmishers are very useful and historically accurate. So I guess we are talking about additional option, which allows brigades splitting. That would be great, but unfortunately it is technically impossible as Pandakraut explained earlier here.

If I am not mistaken, the t2 infantry perk that allows you to detach larger skirmisher unit is pursuing the similar purpose.

No, I was really proposing to replace the option "detach skirmishers" from a brigade, by the option which would allow to divide the brigade in two, or to detach a regiment from it.

But I understand very well that it would not necessarily please the style of play of all players and I respect that. 🙂

3 hours ago, pandakraut said:

I recently did figure out how to change the unit type of detached skirmishers again, so emulating splitting a brigade into two smaller infantry units is possible. This would remove the ability to detach skirmishers though.

Might get worked into a perk at some point, will have to see.

At the same time, by modifying the "detachedSkirmisherSizeModifier" data in the "ConfigFile", we can significantly increase the number of skirmishers and simulate almost the same thing. 

But my personal preference would be to split the brigade in two instead of having skirmishers, since it is already possible to create such units in their own right. In addition, thanks to your work, it is possible to create very different skirmishers of the "Zouaves" type or downright "Sharpshooters" which do not have the same advantages at all. And that is already excellent. 😀

• Like 3

Panda, can you maybe in next  update give an option to considerably reduce or maybe altogether eliminate chances of wounding or killing officers. I know it is not realistic, but it really pisses me off when I put so much effort in training my officers and then they get KIA en masse. I tried modifying it in text file, but putting shitload of zeros at "wound officer chance" doesnt seem to prevent it at all. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 9:43 PM, superbastard325 said:

Panda, can you maybe in next  update give an option to considerably reduce or maybe altogether eliminate chances of wounding or killing officers. I know it is not realistic, but it really pisses me off when I put so much effort in training my officers and then they get KIA en masse. I tried modifying it in text file, but putting shitload of zeros at "wound officer chance" doesnt seem to prevent it at all. 

The way that value works, making it smaller will reduce the chance of officers getting wounded or killed, but even setting it to 0 wouldn't be that large of a reduction. By default it's only a minor increase that offsets the amount you can decrease the chance through points in medicine.

If you want to significantly reduce the chance that an officer is wounded/killed then you would want to use a negative number. -10 would prevent it entirely I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

but just to give you an example, now I am doing battle of Washington and I know that there is a second day coming. So basically I loaded now 3 times in a row because I lose every time division commanders from my veteran corps in just few minutes of fighting. And it is not even some pitched battle yet. Somehow fixing this would make the  experience much more enjoyable 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, superbastard325 said:

Thanks for the tip Panda, but it doenst seem to work very well. Still get a lot of KIA and WIA

Maybe try something like -99? Or -999? I'm traveling at the moment so I don't have any ability to test to confirm a number currently.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question: Why does the "Enfield Pattern 1856" have such a long range, reduced fire rate capability, and reduced melee capability ?

The "Enfield Pattern 1856" was nothing more than a shorter two-band version of the original "Enfield Pattern 1853". It was a  infantry friendly" rifle. Would it be more accurate to give it the same stats as the 1853 for maybe 115 fire rate like the DN&C M1841 ?

Have a nice weekend and take care. 😀

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Raymond Sebastien said:

Question: Why does the "Enfield Pattern 1856" have such a long range, reduced fire rate capability, and reduced melee capability ?

The "Enfield Pattern 1856" was nothing more than a shorter two-band version of the original "Enfield Pattern 1853". It was a  infantry friendly" rifle. Would it be more accurate to give it the same stats as the 1853 for maybe 115 fire rate like the DN&C M1841 ?

Have a nice weekend and take care. 😀

It's currently filling the role of the early sniper option for the CSA. There are a few attempts I could make at justifying its stats, but it easier to say that it is not the most accurate fit, but we needed something for the slot.

FYI there is a weapon names text file in the mod/rebalance folder where the name can be changed if you prefer.

• Like 1

Hey guys

Antietam Union Legendary 1.82.2

antietam.thumb.png.eb0054e28e5f33b7ffeabf037cea4042.png

So i think this is the last modified battle in the mod?

Antietam is not too difficult if you adjust for a stupidly aggressive AI. I played this campaign with no more than 2k infantry brigades, for this battle i increased it to 2.2k and added three 3k meat brigades to my I Corps. Then is just a matter of holding the line, get the artillery to work and use cavalry to collect charging enemy brigades. You dont want to stretch out too much (especially not to your right) and maintain a strong double line in front of your massed artillery. The AI usually moves up its artillery in piecemeal and you should have no trouble reducing them with counter battery fire.

Eventually you need to push forward, but dont go to early even if the enemy position looks weak. They've got tons of reinforcements and you want to break through to Dunker Church in one sustained movement once you get going. Took me a couple of attempts, but what worked best was a combined attack of my II and IV Corps through the woods east of the cornfield. Once the woods are cleared and the positions stabiliuzed (always move your artillery up with the infantry, there is so much distance to cover) I Corps advanced through the woods on Dunker Church to meet little resistance.

The rest is just cleanup. I chose to end the battle before Hills reinforcements got into the fight since i didn't think just another hour of gameplay (the battle ends early at 14:00) would be of much benefit.

Quick OOB

I Corps - 12 line infantry brigades at 2.2k and three at 3k, 8 artillery brigades with 90 guns (all heavy or howitzer)

II Corps - 8 line infantry brigades, 2 sniper units and 10 artillery brigades with 160 guns

III Corps (east of the Antietam) - 10 Cavalry brigades (1st & 2nd Division), 8  reserve infantry brigades (come in late)

IV Corps - 9 reserve infantry brigades, 3 reserve Cavalry brigades, 3 skirmisher units

Edited by ug_might
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, ug_might said:

So i think this is the last modified battle in the mod?

1.28.3 updated through Fredericksburg. Stones River will be in 1.28.5

Good to see some more evidence that players are figuring out legendary. Nice work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superbastard325 said:

what is an ETA for 1.28.5? :)

A test version of it is available on the discord. Battles updated through Stones River, except for the union which is only partly updated.

That patch includes a full rewrite of the perk system so that it is fully customizable through text files. Only recreating the existing perks for now, an actual change to perk bonuses is more likely in 1.29. 

While a lot of that work is done, it still needs some testing/documentation/etc and I don't currently know when that will get finished.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 8:01 AM, pandakraut said:

A test version of it is available on the discord. Battles updated through Stones River, except for the union which is only partly updated.

That patch includes a full rewrite of the perk system so that it is fully customizable through text files. Only recreating the existing perks for now, an actual change to perk bonuses is more likely in 1.29. 

While a lot of that work is done, it still needs some testing/documentation/etc and I don't currently know when that will get finished.

I don't quite understand what the new changes to Perks in the ETA for 1.28.5, other than they will now be manually editable. Will weapons also be moddable in the same way?

I'm really looking forward to the next stable version you're going to release, as I've always appreciated your efforts to greatly improve this game.

It's a shame that you can't upgrade maps or add mores battles.

Have a nice week and take care !!   🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Raymond Sebastien said:

I don't quite understand what the new changes to Perks in the ETA for 1.28.5, other than they will now be manually editable. Will weapons also be moddable in the same way?

In 1.28.5 the perks will give all of the same bonuses, they will just be using the new system. Then in the following release we will redo all the bonuses to take advantage of the new system. 

Weapons have their names and descriptions in text files already. The stats are still in the hex, but those are mostly easier to edit than the perks were.

Adding alternate scenarios to existing battles is the closest we can get to new battles unfortunately.

• Like 2