Game-Labs Forum

Wind changes

Could we please either get fewer windchanges in a 1½ hour match or removed entirely? - I'd prefer fewer windchanges but it's really changing fast and often..

Being in a battle and having wind slowly veer, back, or both has screwed me over in several battles, and saved me in several.  I personally think it adds depth to combat, because it is one more thing you have to pay attention to.  I like it, although sometimes I reeeeeaaaally hate it, which in hindsight is a good thing.  It has enabled an enemy to kite and escape, as well as ruin his plans to run away so I can finish him.

But tweak it, wind doesn't change this fast except near storms, it is annoying to have it swing wildly back and forth like a politician's promises.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Atreides said:

Being in a battle and having wind slowly veer, back, or both has screwed me over in several battles, and saved me in several.  I personally think it adds depth to combat, because it is one more thing you have to pay attention to.  I like it, although sometimes I reeeeeaaaally hate it, which in hindsight is a good thing.  It has enabled an enemy to kite and escape, as well as ruin his plans to run away so I can finish him.

But tweak it, wind doesn't change this fast except near storms, it is annoying to have it swing wildly back and forth like a politician's promises.

As I write above - I'd prefer to keep the windchanges, but atm it changes three times in a battle and always on a fixed interval. There should be one or two changes and only in a rng interval that would make anticipation harder and then it would be something other than an anticipated annoyance.

2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

It promotes fights, before people would just run away at best angle for an hour because they could. Now you have to atleast try to get away if you want to escape

I find that it makes no difference, people still get away if they have a faster ship.. my problem with the constant windchanges is my way of fighting relies on taking and keeping the weathergage - that is impossible if the wind changes 180 degrees ever 20th minute.

I'd say we should have a much slower constant windchange that enables you to maintain the weathergage.

Maybe making slightly less frequent and giving warning of the change beforehand could preserve tactical depth and not make chases boring? Like on the compass have a faint arrow indicating the new wind position appear 2 mins before it changes.

13 minutes ago, Percival Merewether said:

I find that it makes no difference, people still get away if they have a faster ship.. my problem with the constant windchanges is my way of fighting relies on taking and keeping the weathergage - that is impossible if the wind changes 180 degrees ever 20th minute.

I'd say we should have a much slower constant windchange that enables you to maintain the weathergage.

Sometimes but when a fast ship gets caught on the wrong side of a wind shift it's a moment where the chasing ships can take advantage off, wind changes usually force a turn which imo is better to force people to turn and readjust every 20 minutes than have them sail in the usual B line up wind which gets worse in fleets because having the wind gauge almost always guarantees control of the battle that without wind shift doesn't change and the running fleet has to employ SOME kind of turning strategy to get away and not just sail straight which makes chases boring.

I very much like all the wind shifts. It has saved me and its gotten me killed. Either way, it adds an element of danger and a challenge to every Captain.