Game-Labs Forum

Command ship and crew using voice (VoiceAttack)

So how does this work? Do I just download and start yelling at me crew for being scurvy knaves and not changing the sails fast enough?

What're the steps from installation to full use?

It really easy, once you download and install there voice attack program should open. From their there should be a profile already included with the DL that opens the calculator. You can either edit that profile by clicking on the icon of a person with a pencil. Delete it, or export it. If you click edit it will take you to the editor and you can add, delete or edit commands from there. Type the command you want to say. Then add from the selection on the left. So for example pressing the 5 key. Then select weither or not to Press and Release, can add a delay on how long you want the press to be. Press and Hold, pause, or release. and that pretty much it. You can adjust the other setting if you with. I will make a series of video tutorials and link them when they are done. Since I'm bad at explaining stuff in chat.

Here is the tutorial for setting up Voice Attack with another game (Elite Dangerous). Obviously we don't have missile defence systems and shields, so you will need to mentally substitute these for sails and rudders :)

Oh beat me to it, there is that and I just add to the first post my quick and dirty tutorial.

Yard controls will need to be in there too.

Yard and Sails control still working on. Going to take a bit because of the different levels(if you can call it that).

this is so funny :D

adding some extra commands for myself already, such as "Sails up/down" "Full Sails/Strike Sails" and so on :)

Oh let me know how it works. Like above still trying to work it out myself.

Here's a question is there a key that will take me directly to the starboard, larboard, front, and back cannons? or do I have to rotate the mouse every time? if there is a key that does it I want to add a voice command to go to the desired guns instantly. If there isn't I highly suggest such a command be added. Even for those who don't use voice attack it would be useful to immediately switch to the other sides canons fore close action on multiple sides

I too am working on sails; I added the commands "Increase sails" (press and release w) "reduce sails" (press and release s) "ahead full" (press 1s and release w x4) and "full stop" (press 1s and release s x4). I have been having excellent success with the first two and somewhat more limited success with ahead full and full stop.

On a separate note has anyone else had trouble with the command rudder a midships? voice attack keeps thinking I'm saying "writer amid ship" or "writer image" any advice here. I'm having better luck with "steady as she goes"

On a separate note has anyone else had trouble with the command rudder a midships? voice attack keeps thinking I'm saying "writer amid ship" or "writer image" any advice here. I'm having better luck with "steady as she goes"

If you keep having problems, do the voice recognition training again. Several times if need be. I had to do it 6-7 times before it started working really well for me (80-90% accuracy rate).

Also make sure you have a really good mic, preferably one where you can reduce ambient noise. I've found my speakers interfere with mine sometimes. Not an issue if you use a headset obviously.

Edited by kalnaren

Here's a question is there a key that will take me directly to the starboard, larboard, front, and back cannons? or do I have to rotate the mouse every time? if there is a key that does it I want to add a voice command to go to the desired guns instantly. If there isn't I highly suggest such a command be added. Even for those who don't use voice attack it would be useful to immediately switch to the other sides canons fore close action on multiple sides

I don't think there is sadly.

Yard and Sails control still working on. Going to take a bit because of the different levels(if you can call it that).

Oh let me know how it works. Like above still trying to work it out myself.

If you look at my profile in the OP I already added commands for raising and lowering sails.

Basically I "reset" the sails to full stop / no sails, then i step it up from there, so one tap on W takes you to dead slow, 2 taps on W takes you to Slow, then 3 for Half Sails and 4 for Full sails.

If you are already at "Slow" and want to go to "Full sails" the Voice Attack command I use will first hit the S key 4 times (taking it quickly to full stop / no sails) then immediately presses W four times to put the command at "Full Sails". The starting point is always no sails then step it up as appropriate.

You can add commands for the Yards as well however that is a bit more tricky because the yards don't have steps like the sails (stop, dead slow, slow et.c.). The yards rely on player holding the Q/E and/or Z/C keys for X amount of seconds to turn the yards (also, having crew in sailing mode improves yard control by speeding it up, and loss of crew slows it down). You can program Voice Attack to hold Q for X seconds to get a yard to a desired position but this will quickly drift out of control since the actual position the yard stops at after X seconds will vary depending on, as mentioned, sailing mode, reduced crew etc.

However, you can pre-program certain maneuvers such as setting the front yards fully to port and rear yards fully to starboard to make quicker turns. This is simply a matter of making Voice Attack hold Q and C for X seconds, where X is simply something you need to experiment to find out just how long it needs to hold those keys to have yards moved to full extremes. I'm guessing 5-7 seconds is more than enough.

As for moving into the "gunnery view" on port and starboard sides (by moving mouse to chance direction you are viewing and pressing right mouse button) this is also quite hard to do since you don't have any starting point for VA to work from. VA simply doesn't know which way your view is pointed since you move it around all over while playing. Otherwise you could program VA to 'move mouse' X amount to left / right then click right mouse button.

However, there is a key command for firing the entire broadside while not in gunnery mode by using [ (left bracket) for the port side and ] (right bracket for the starboard side). Those are useful when in close quarters and you don't really need to adjust elevation but you just fire directly out of the gunports at 0 degree elevation into a target at point blank range.

• 1 year later...

Yes I use this for other games, it is great and simple to write operating conditions for it. I have noticed it does tend to interfere with text typing. Although this application with voice acting can greatly enhance immersion in a game it does have one more noble application. It allows access to games to severely disabled people. Linked with eye/head monitoring software and soon VR a paraplegic person could play this game. Think what effect that could have on someone's quality of life? At the moment this game is not so adaptable due to the limited number of key-mapped commands and I have already made a suggestion to expand them and separate rotating commands with single key presses, (sails [w], targeting [r] and fire method [v]).  I see from the responses you are already working on that which is fantastic, help from the development team would be a bonus. 

Thanks to Ghroznac, Shaved Alpaca for starting this and everyone who is getting involved

Lisa  Swims with Sharks

Edited by Lisa-Azra

• 2 years later...

I use this as well at times. I have a full profile set, though it needs some modification. I wanted to mention that besides the electronic voice used, you can also use it to macro additional short audio files located on your pc that can work well with the machine voice.  For example, when I use my telescope, the pirate from sponge bob says "there she blows!".