Game-Labs Forum

Epic Battles - difficulty  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Are Epic Battles too difficult?

• No - suck it up and learn
    • Yes - The AI should be cut back
    • Maybe - How about a compromise (see comment below)

Now that some of our clan and I have had a chance at a few Epic challenges I realize that it's not just difficult but almost impossible to beat. I love a challenge as most do but I think the present difficulty level for Epic missions is a little too high. Facing off against 9  hardened, seemingly faster ships that not only load quicker but also have laser guided cannon balls is beyond anyone I know.. so far. I'm not a new player and certainly not the best. But 4 of 6 First rate ships (and players) lost their ships last night. The last 2 barely escaped with more then 60-70% damage.  I suggest the NPC/AI ships be cut back to 6 or 7 not 9 and the AI ship be slightly reduced in armour and speed. I do like the extreme challenge of the Epic battles though and feel the missions are worth while keeping, just tamed a bit. What about different level Epics like before. Epic 1,2 and hardest 3. All for first rate competitors.  I really don't mind losing my ship to a worth while challenge but sunk within a few minutes wasn't fun. I will refrain from calling is AI cheating but it was mentioned by more then one of our team. 

Edited by Buba Smith

2 minutes ago, Buba Smith said:

Now that some of our clan and I have had a chance at a few Epic challenges I realize that it's not just difficult but almost impossible to beat. I love a challenge as most do but I think the present difficulty level for Epic missions is a little too high. Facing off against 9  hardened, seemingly faster ships that not only load quicker but also have laser guided cannon balls is beyond anyone I know.. so far. I'm not a new player and certainly not the best. But 4 of 6 First rate ships (and players) lost their ships last night. The last 2 barely escaped with more then 60-70% damage.  I suggest the NPC/AI ships be cut back to 6 or 7 not 9 and the AI ship be slightly reduced in armour and speed. I do like the extreme challenge of the Epic battles though and feel the missions are worthe keeping just tamed a bit. What about different level Epics like before. Epic 1,2 and hardest 3. All for first rate competitors.  I really don't mind losing my ship to a worth while challenge but sunk within a few minutes wasn't fun. I will refrain from calling is AI cheating but it was mentioned by more then one of our team. 

umm... no.  They are tough for a reason.

The last Epic I was in was done with only 5 ships.  It was a challenge but that why it was fun.  You can repair, the AI cannot.  Kite them out and keep up on repairs and work as a team to focus down each ship.  We all made it out with over 50% health.

Its called EPIC for a reason.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Salty Dog on Global said:

umm... no.  They are tough for a reason.

The last Epic I was in was done with only 5 ships.  It was a challenge but that why it was fun.  You can repair, the AI cannot.  Kite them out and keep up on repairs and work as a team to focus down each ship.  We all made it out with over 50% health.

Its called EPIC for a reason.

Sounds like a different Epic. Two of us faced off against one AI Santi, I in a Vic and my buddy in a Santi while organizing on Discord. We both managed 10-20% damaged on the AI ship and we both sank. And we entered with 6 ships. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buba Smith said:

Sounds like a different Epic. Two of us faced off against one AI Santi, I in a Vic and my buddy in a Santi while organizing on Discord. We both managed 10-20% damaged on the AI ship and we both sank. And we entered with 6 ships. 

On ours, first pass through the enemy 9, we sank two (first and last ship in the line).  Pulled the group with the wind as our first and last ships were in bad shape.  We focused fired each ship as they got close to us and protected the weak until they repaired.  took about an hour and we used a lot of repairs.

Why was it only you and your buddy against one ship?  Where were the other players?  As you learned, it takes more than two ships to sink one of the super AI.

Edited by Salty Dog on Global

Some good suggestions here. To be honest the aforementioned tactic is more or less what we did. We are going to try it again with harder armour ships. I'll report back with the results later. But I looking forward to the challenge.. again.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Intrepido said:

If the IA is too fast, chain it first.

Use prepared to give a first or two good volleys of chains at the begining. 

And remember, if you very close to an IA, it wont shoot.

Interesting you would mention this but I discussed this very method with the others this morning.  Chain shot will at least slow them down and make them easier targets after. 

Didn't have a problem with the difficulty until the rewards were nerfed I have been told you no longer receive a ship note as a reward only a permit.

If I am wrong and the rewards have not been nerfed then I do not have a problem with the difficulty.