Game-Labs Forum

Getting stuck in the wind - a simple solution

Hey there.

From my first battles and hearing from other new players it seems that getting stuck in the wind is a common problem, especially after abandoning the Basic Cutter and moving to square rigged vessels - of course the best solution is adding tutorials with one for manual sailing, rewarding the player with XP and gold for completing the tutorial in the beggining of the game (like a mission). But there are other threads outlying that, and I've heard the developers are currently working on UI which would hopefully include tutorials. What I suggest is not a replacement for tutorials, but a reminder and easy way to help newbies to understand manual sailing in the middle of a battle if they didn't play the tutorial.

When stuck in the wind there should be yellow text possibly flashing on the screen (NOT IN A BOX, that would block view) telling the player that he is stuck in the wind, and a quick explanation what keys to press to get out of thewind.

Example:

---

Captain - You are pointing your ship in the wind! Use manual sails to catch the wind again.

Q / E - Move front sails right/left

Z / C - Move back sails right/left

To enable auto-sailing again press the F key

For a more in-depth explanation please view our tutorial in port.

---

I find this example too long in a battle myself, but I wouldn't know how to phrase it shorter. Maybe cut out the last part and have the State Clerk send the player a message after the battle saying "It seems you were stuck in the wind last battle - View the tutorial on this in the harbour to ..." This is, compared to adding tutorials, a quick fix and would definitely help in many situations with new players.

NOTES: 

You only get this message when you are stuck and have 0 or minus speeds.

You don't get this message when you've completed the tutorial so this doesn't annoy experienced players 

(more advanced) You don't get this message when being pushed into the wind and therefore being boarded.

Edited by Lz3

I believe the community is very helpful when it comes to teaching this sort of thing.  And I'm just spitballing here, but I think the underlying intent here is to encourage clans, where your ingame friends can help coach you into becoming a better captain.  Honestly I don't agree that it's needed.

so lets make it easy...   Set Full sail.. Depower(T key) full oppiste rudder to direction you want bow to go...   Set rear sails so the wind pushes you backwards.. Set the fore sail so it pushes  the bow in the direction you want to go... Practice it in the 15 min after you win and mission or OW AI kill... a few times.. it is NOT that hard...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Ohhhh...so THAT's what that is.  I'm manouvering around in a battle and things go wonky and it says "depower" under sails and I was not sure how that was happening...

Yup.. Handy for the Back out out of the wind and it also lets you level out without changing sails... for a better shot

On 10/12/2017 at 2:11 PM, JBeiner said:

I feel this might remove some of the skill stratification in this game, which is good and bad.  One of the fun parts of this game is learning how to play, and one of the rewards is the pride one feels when he realizes he has become a fine captain.

There is also a library of tutorials on Youtube

On 10/13/2017 at 2:34 AM, Jean Ribault said:

I believe the community is very helpful when it comes to teaching this sort of thing.  And I'm just spitballing here, but I think the underlying intent here is to encourage clans, where your ingame friends can help coach you into becoming a better captain.  Honestly I don't agree that it's needed.

This is true, the community is very helpful and you can find tutorials on YouTube - However for any game that wants to get more than 5000 players to function properly there needs to be an easy way to understand the game. Look at practically all of the big and popular games. I can't think of one without a tutorial or at least a few boxes on the screen telling you what to do except Minecraft (which has its own style). 

My point is, tutorials are absolutely necessary in the game. They don't need to be extremely in-depth, but a new player must not quit the game because he keeps getting stuck. Until we have tutorials this should be implemented.