Game-Labs Forum

Current hotfix (10.4 hotfix 3?) Speed nerf

Ok so first of all i want to say that yes, i agree something needed to be done about the speed meta.

However, i think that the nerfs to the bonuses of mods and skills is the wrong way to go about it.

This is the third (i think) nerf to the speed bonus of mods and skills. Previous nerfs made small changes to the speed bonus and clearly did not work. This recent nerf was a perfect example of overreaction we've come to expect from this game, making individual skills like cargo distribution or optimized ballast totally pointless with only 1% bonus.

Making individual skills useless just to 'fix' the problem of total bonuses being out of hand is the wrong way to go about it. Instead, the way to fix total bonus without making individual skills useless is to introduce stacking penalties. Make bonuses affecting the same stat only give 50% of it's bonus for the 2nd mod/skill, 25% for the 3rd, etc etc. The actual penalty would need to be tuned of course.

Please for the love of god instead of trying to unsuccessfully achieve balance 3-4 times the same way, try something else that's been show to work in many different games

• Like 1

with diminishing returns there is actually more freedom (and point!) in customization then now when individual bonuses have been made useless 1% or 2% only to remedy the possible scenario when ppl stack 5 bonusses to that same stat

8 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Whats the point in customization if you cant specialize due to stacking penalty? Might aswell remove upgrades and knowledge completely.

Whats teh point of Customization when every ship can go the same speed and all thos speeds are a LOT more then that ship ever did in real life

As I just stated in another topic, I think half the problem is that ONLY way to currently customize a ship is with performance mods.  

As gamers, of course most everyone wants their shit to be "unique".

Until they introduce paints, flags, nameplates, etc, then people will be angry about nerding of "mods", even though it makes for better mechanics.  

I wouldmuch rather have different "looking" ships with small performance deltas than every ship looking the same with HUGE performance deltas. Which is how it is now. 

Good captains show be better than good "gear"...,

• Like 2

On 7/23/2017 at 0:25 AM, Quineloe said:

What is this "Diminishing Returns" tag doing here? I can't see anything about such a mechanic in the patch notes.

Maybe read the post?

I'm arguing that diminishing returns is a better way to limit the speed meta than just nerfing all the bonuses.