Game-Labs Forum

weather forecast

26 minutes ago, EdWatchmaker said:

[CaptVonGunn] I'm old and remember the time before weather satellites. When we relied on weather ships, buoys, island based shore stations and weather stations across the continent. HAHAHAH, good Lord are we spoiled now.   

So do I I still work in that field actually

[mikawa] what I have done is pay attention to Global chat, somebody will complain about the weather, also I have sometimes ask buddies what the weather is like where they'er at. Being a trader and merchant I don't hunt but rather am looking for weather to hide in while sailing to a port to trade. HAHAHAHA, some of my most heart dropping and adrenaline producing experiences have been when an enemy appeared out of the foul weather.

[CaptVonGunn] Back in the '60's and '70's I was in the USCG, search and rescue/aids to navigation. It was awesome duty. In the late '70's do you remember the hysteria about the eminent coming of a new ice age and now we are all going to fry. I'm far from dead yet. HAHAHAH.       

5 hours ago, EdWatchmaker said:

[CaptVonGunn] I'm old and remember the time before weather satellites. When we relied on weather ships, buoys, island based shore stations and weather stations across the continent. HAHAHAH, good Lord are we spoiled now.   

I remember crossing the Pacific on a ship in the 80's at a time when we did have weather forecasting services and we were a weather reporting ship and had to send weather reports several times a day and they still got the weather forecast wrong. We sailed for 2 weeks in thick fog and even though we always put this in our weather reports, the forecast always came back saying clear weather. I am sure it was just a single bank of fog that followed us for 2 weeks. It was tiring though spending most of every watch staring into a radar because you could not see anything else.

• Like 1

Ok wetter forecast is probably not historically but I'm quite sure that an experienced sailor could feel an upcoming storm. 

And, hey, this is a game with immense time effort to sail the map from west to east and we should have a chance to plan our activities instead of wasting precious time.

I personally prefer doing senseful things ... sorry I have a job and a family and I guess I'm not the only one.

10 minutes ago, mikawa said:

Ok wetter forecast is probably not historically but I'm quite sure that an experienced sailor could feel an upcoming storm. 

And, hey, this is a game with immense time effort to sail the map from west to east and we should have a chance to plan our activities instead of wasting precious time.

I personally prefer doing senseful things ... sorry I have a job and a family and I guess I'm not the only one.

I guess if they really thought this was something they wanted to put in the game then you could get a random popup or something like that saying bad weather or poor visibility is likely. But I do not think it should be something that was guaranteed even local knowledge and experience could often be wrong.

How would you feel if planned to lurk in dense fog or rain outside an enemy harbour and it did not happen?

Guys this is silly. In the 1600s and 1700s weather forecasting was much more on the level of "Red sky at morning sailor take warning" and all that. Sure, experienced captains would be able to tell from wind direction, cloud formations, etc that weather change might be coming, but then again think of all the countless ships lost at sea to bad weather...

It would be neat if Naval Action's weather could have more foreshadowing of coming changes that an alert captain could take note of. Hell, I'd love random wind changes to start. But automated bulletins from the National Weather Service beamed into your radio room aboard your 18th century frigate? Come on.

By a random popup I meant more a note that said your ships master or something like that reckons there is some bad weather on the horizon, or it looks like we could be in for some fog, not that it would be a weather bulletin and also the chances that it would be true would be 50/50 at best.