Game-Labs Forum

Few ideas from a few players

Just a collective thoughts from a few discussions between friends concerning the game:

1) Although we know that there is already a new crafting system on the way. One idea a friend had was rather than having the "exceptional, fine, common, mastercrafted" builds for the ships which is very dull and straight forward. Have it where you have to find "exceptional, fine, common, or mastercrafted" material drops rather than being able to outright build an exceptional ship. That way to create a superior ship takes more than just a crafting rank but rather making sure you have the proper material to make one.

2) A mix of regional and previous individual port system. Have it where a faction to earn a regional bonus they would need to capture each port individually. The region capital only being to able to be attacked once each other port in that region must be under the attackers control. 

3) Factions cannot be reduced to a single region. 

4) Crews is very expensive when you are starting out with nothing. A slight reduction of cost or having a level system or bracket system for crews and their cost depending on what rank and/or class of ship you have. Possibly paying for a better crew give you reload and/or sail bonuses. Crews at this time were hardly made up of fully trained crews. A ship was usually crewed by former crew members of the captains which tended to be the only trained crew there was on the ship, men who chose naval service over prison sentences, the idiot who thought it would be an adventure, and the unlucky bloke beaten or kidnapped to fill a crews ranks.

Edited by PolishMartyr
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, PolishMartyr said:

Just a collective thoughts from a few discussions between friends concerning the game:

1) Although we know that there is already a new crafting system on the way. One idea a friend had was rather than having the "exceptional, fine, common, mastercrafted" builds for the ships which is very dull and straight forward. Have it where you have to find "exceptional, fine, common, or mastercrafted" material drops rather than being able to outright build an exceptional ship. That way to create a superior ship takes more than just a crafting rank but rather making sure you have the proper material to make one. ***** Kind of neat, but ppl bitched and moaned about fine woods which I liked and just wanted a slight tweak :(

2) A mix of regional and previous individual port system. Have it where a faction to earn a regional bonus they would need to capture each port individually. The region capital only being to able to be attacked once each other port in that region must be under the attackers control.
***** I like the idea, but I would rather it be the attacker has to own a majority of the regions ports before they can attack the capital. So not requiring all of the minor ports there, but just most of them, then it will unlock the Regional Capital.

***** And each Nation Capital needs to have their own Regional Bonus.

4) Crews is very expensive when you are starting out with nothing. A slight reduction of cost or having a level system or bracket system for crews and their cost depending on what rank and/or class of ship you have. Possibly paying for a better crew give you reload and/or sail bonuses.

10 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

***** I like the idea, but I would rather it be the attacker has to own a majority of the regions ports before they can attack the capital. So not requiring all of the minor ports there, but just most of them, then it will unlock the Regional Capital.

I can easily agree with this but to have the regional bonus they still must own all of the region.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

That's twice you got me :D

I can't help myself

15 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

4) Crews is very expensive when you are starting out with nothing. A slight reduction of cost or having a level system or bracket system for crews and their cost depending on what rank and/or class of ship you have. Possibly paying for a better crew give you reload and/or sail bonuses.

I like this very much. It's unrealistic especially when you factor in the main recruitment methods of the day (e.g. getting a potential ordinary seaman piss drunk, waiting until he passes out, and then bundling his unconscious body onto the ship before he wakes up)

I would like to see a system not unlike that of Age of Pirates, where losing crew is expensive not monetarily (depending on your wealth), but based on their skill. Your crew started out with a skill level, and by experience gained sailing and in combat, would increase their capabilities and level of experience, and thus become more efficient at manning the yards and loading the guns. This, your losses sting not just because of the money you have to sink into replenishing lost crew (which would be reduced), but by time invested training that crew. 

Like this: http://ageofpirates.wikia.com/wiki/Age_of_Pirates_Wiki#Crew_Parameters

Edited by SirSamuelHood
  • Like 1

No more death penalties, or soon you wont find even 1vs25 battles from OW.

National Capitals with regionals is an interesting option, just could be hard to balance.

Fine Wood and all the variants.  This is only interesting if you are interested from crafting and economy.  The rest wont like these.

6 hours ago, PolishMartyr said:

1) Although we know that there is already a new crafting system on the way. One idea a friend had was rather than having the "exceptional, fine, common, mastercrafted" builds for the ships which is very dull and straight forward. Have it where you have to find "exceptional, fine, common, or mastercrafted" material drops rather than being able to outright build an exceptional ship. That way to create a superior ship takes more than just a crafting rank but rather making sure you have the proper material to make one.

Lets see what the new system looks like before we start coming up with new things.  I realy like the concept of going to three types of ship builds.  Basic are what you get in the shop.  This is what all ships base stats are built off of.   Common is what any player can craft when they get to the certain level and BP.  Maastercraft is the exceptional levels one.  You need to be a certain level to be able to craft these or maybe even make it level 50 crafting only can make them.  Gives a goal to level up the crafting if we have not and a reason to be important at level 50th since mods are going to be mostly built into the ships when crafted and there is not a big reason to be level 50 as most ships can be built before that level.

We rarely have PB's as is on PvP2 and I'm sure it's not over done on PvP1, I think the system right now works, just needs tweeks.  A raid system on the other hand that can add to agro in a region would be awesome.  Since they keep lowering the timer to find and join hostility missions there needs to be a true PvP means to flip a region.   You can force a port battle to raid a port and if you win you get a large chunk of agro.  Once a port is raided it gets a cool down.  That are make raided ports owned for 3 days while it's raided.  You can craft those three days.  This will get more fights out there and maybe a chance for the smaller nations, but than we will have folks complaining about night flips and such.

I kinda agree with Hendrick that they need one region (not the capital) that can build there nations special region bonus.  This will all ways give each nation two region/zones to own even if put to the last ones.   They will have one with mats (the capital) and one with a good crafting ship bonus.   There is no end game or total conquest to reset the regions so if a nation is keep to one capital regions it get stale and players quick and than you have less and less players and the game dies.

4) Crews is very expensive when you are starting out with nothing. 

Crew should be expensive so folks won't do risky stuff to throw them away.  That is why I like the crew lost in combat.  Teaches folks to not let you stern camp them.  Starting players get there crew and ship replaced up till what is it there third level?   Only if they stay in the basic cutter of course which they prob should for the first level any way. You just have to return to port to get the crew back.  They even do this up till your 300 crew limit level, but there is a limit and they will stop giving you crew back.  Which means your getting to many killed prob with how your fighting.  You can take Doctor perk and get 70% of your crew back after a fight if you lived.  You have medkits which are cheap to make for even a starting player.   You do one mission and you have enough money to get an officer to get the perk.  I do think this perk should be reduced to 25% and every one gets it from start.  Than make the Surgeon perk the new Doctor with an boost to crew returned and medkit use if you have that perk.  I'm pretty sure no one really uses it right now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I can agree with you on the port battles and regions. Tweaking will definitely be needed or the addition with new elements to create a grind in a way since one port battle on average gains you five ports. 

I did not know that there is a crew handicap for new players. Although they might want to expand that handicap till a player gets in a deep water vessel. 

3 hours ago, PolishMartyr said:

I can agree with you on the port battles and regions. Tweaking will definitely be needed or the addition with new elements to create a grind in a way since one port battle on average gains you five ports. 

I did not know that there is a crew handicap for new players. Although they might want to expand that handicap till a player gets in a deep water vessel. 

It does, if you have 200 crew your in the Cerbus and that is deep water and I believe it works up to the level you get 300 crew?   Could be wrong, but if your that level you should know the basics of the game nay way cause your over half way through the levels.

I think the problem as in many games to many folks power level and rush to the top and not learn the game.  We have had guys from PvE that are maxed out Curse/Read Adm level that can't even manual sail.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I think the problem as in many games to many folks power level and rush to the top and not learn the game.  We have had guys from PvE that are maxed out Curse/Read Adm level that can't even manual sail.

O absolutely! I do think there needs to be a huge experience hump at the Master Commander rank. 

In our clan we are very open and do our best to teach everyone of our new clan members on how to play and other useful tips.

1 hour ago, PolishMartyr said:

O absolutely! I do think there needs to be a huge experience hump at the Master Commander rank. 

In our clan we are very open and do our best to teach everyone of our new clan members on how to play and other useful tips.

We do the same, even little lobie baby brits in front of KPR.  We spent a few nights teaching them how to manual sail and such when we tagged them and released them.  It was like a catch and release program.  Every one left with a little bit more knowledge of the game.

11 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

We do the same, even little lobie baby brits in front of KPR.  We spent a few nights teaching them how to manual sail and such when we tagged them and released them.  It was like a catch and release program.  Every one left with a little bit more knowledge of the game.

Right now the biggest thing we are trying to teach these new players is not to undercrew. They are an easy target if they do because it reflects in their battle rating, their reload and sail adjustments are hugely effected, and the cost is just way to much for a new player. Yet every new fish comes in going for a Frigate, or a ship three to five ranks out of their league.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PolishMartyr said:

Right now the biggest thing we are trying to teach these new players is not to undercrew. They are an easy target if they do because it reflects in their battle rating, their reload and sail adjustments are hugely effected, and the cost is just way to much for a new player. Yet every new fish comes in going for a Frigate, or a ship three to five ranks out of their league.

Oh man that is one of my biggest things that drives me nuts.  Specially when folks say, "Well with gold hammocks and....."  NO NO NO NO....I see undercrew I see easy target.  I grape you and now you can't even fire that one broadside with the other locked or man your sails.   NO NO NO NO.  Stay in smaller ships you can crew and learn how to play.  If you can learn stay alive in a smaller ship in  a battle with larger ships than you become a better player.  To many want to rush to the 1st rates.   Remember when the Bucc was given to every one?  I was US back than and even I captured a few undermaned ones from new players taking them out for a stroll (think I was Mater Comd as I just got into a Surprise).

• Like 1

No offense mate, but I have been proposing this long ago and carebears were all against that. Then I said that sooner or later even GB and US players will have to see merits in more dangerous OW. 

As per below:

On 11/01/2017 at 7:08 PM, PolishMartyr said:

I have proposed this right then they got us into fine woods:

4) Crews is very expensive when you are starting out with nothing. A slight reduction of cost or having a level system or bracket system for crews and their cost depending on what rank and/or class of ship you have. Possibly paying for a better crew give you reload and/or sail bonuses. Crews at this time were hardly made up of fully trained crews. A ship was usually crewed by former crew members of the captains which tended to be the only trained crew there was on the ship, men who chose naval service over prison sentences, the idiot who thought it would be an adventure, and the unlucky bloke beaten or kidnapped to fill a crews ranks.

Paying extra to have better crew on board sound good, but... I leaded to a better idea. The longer you have your crew fighting/sailing with out more ex the get and then rank up. Some even get protection bonus from racking etc. Of course its a pain in a neck when you get boarded to lose everyone, but then again this gives real insentives to surrender. I like it, kudos to you