Game-Labs Forum

New to game, advice wanted

As Title states, im New to the game, its currently downloading and i will be joining the US Server??, as i saw in the reviews for this, you choose a country/ faction to play for, Are all countries equal when starting out? is there advantage or disadvantages to one country over another towards end game? what should i be aiming for as a new player, im not new to MMO's etc so i understand clan based games, so any help and advice is welcomed.

First off, there is a whole mess of inter-faction nonsense that's been going on for years.  It's kind of like jumping into 1913 Europe and saying, "What nation should I get citizenship in?"  Every faction has its own background, big names, little names, people who follow the intent of the rules very scrupulously, people who will test every boundary they can.

You can choose whichever server, though more people tend to play on the EU server.  Pings don't matter nearly as much as in other games, 1. due to the slower pace of sailing and 2. due to everything being done server side.

I would suggest you pick a flag you want to fly under, and just jump in.

• Like 4

Powderhorn is correct.  You are basically jumping into a mess like 1913 Europe when it comes to diplomacy, factions, alliances, grudges, names, etc.

My suggestions are: 

Pick a nation you want to sail for, one that will play on your imaginations and inspire you.  Say, for example, you are really big into Hornblower or Master and Commander, pick Britain.  Or maybe you are really interested in Spanish naval history, so you pick Spain.  Or you are into Pirates of the Caribbean or Black Flag, pick Pirates.  Whatever nation inspires you, pick that, whether it is the Americans, the British, the Danes, the Dutch, the French, the Pirates, the Spanish, or the Swedes.

Population wise, Britain is the strongest.  The Danes, Dutch, French, and Spanish are inbetween.  Sweden, the US are on the smaller side.  Pirates have been falling off in population they might be one of the weaker factions now, primarily because no one can ally with them.  The current alliances are Great Britain, Netherlands, United States vs Denmark, France, Spain, Sweden vs Pirates.

Realize that this game is slower paced than most.  It also can take a bit to learn.  As soon as possible learn manual sails.  It is very easy and is like learning how to ride a bike.  Once you know how, you will never forget, and it will save you a ton of headache and give you an advantage over a ton of players.  Remember, always sail first and shoot second.  Maneuvering and being aware of your surroundings are always more important than focusing only on shooting.  And although it can take a bit to learn accuracy, learning how to aim your guns is important as well.

Edited by Prater

The write ups for each nation on your choice screen need to be updated. US is not easy, we have the lowest population numbers. All nations start in the rookie zone now so the early phases of your leveling up will be equal across all nations. Also there you can always delete your character and reroll (something I wish had repercussions actually) retain the hard won XP and crafting, you'll just lose ships and money unless you have a friend to hold it for you.

Everything important happens on PVP 1, all the oldest clans, biggest rivalries and best players are there. The other servers are the U16s.

• Like 1

Reply to what Hodo said,

Actually Pvp1 EU server has far more English speakers than the PVP2 US server because the vast majority of the population is on the EU server...So playing on the PVP1 server is not an issue if you speak English.  Yes, you will find a lot more people who don't speak any English on PVP1, but so what?

As for ping, I know a lot of West Coasters who have no problem.  I would try out PVP1 and if you have connection problems or your ping is over 250, then try pvp2 US.  As Northern said, XP carries over no matter where you go or who you play with, even if you delete a character.

Edited by Prater

8 hours ago, Frakkedup said:

I followed your advice and went for pvp 1 EU due to more people on it, and have found the game very enjoyable so far with plenty of content, catch you guys tomorrow

Welcome then to PvP 1 EU server.

You didn't mention which nation that you joined (not that it really matters).

Should you have questions about the game or mechanics, don't hesitate to use the "Help", "Global", or "Nation" chats in game to ask questions. Players will normally respond to offer answers and suggestions.

• 7 months later...