Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix for patch 9.97: Land in port battles

admin

5 hours ago, Prater said:

1st Battle of Islamorada after PB patch
US focuses on capturing circles.  US controls 2 circles most of game, and 3 circles part of game.  Spanish focus on sinking US ships, Spanish win.

2nd Battle of Islamorada
Spanish have heavier fleet.  Spanish split force and focuses on controlling circles.  US focuses on killing ships.  US win.

Were the numbers even in those battles?
How was the 1st battle won by Spain? Were they in heavier ships and had wind?
How was the 2nd battle won by US? What ship setup did they use?
If you saying that one side has won the other side by killing while loosing ships this means that the ships they have brought were simply way too weak. It just tells me that they've brought them for speed and instead of running to another circle to cap stayed for the fight. Bad decisions explained by inexperience of the new PB mechanic.

My own experience was:
1st Battle straight after the patch we didnt have the wind. Before we could reach the 1st circle the game was over. This is some BS mechanic. So what the enemy ships got the position and hold for few minutes. Why are they winning the battle? I just don't get the logic behind the circle capture mechanic.
2nd Battle we had the wind and we had more circles capped to start with. Then we were outnumbered by 4 ships. All they did is to sail away avoiding fights and cap another circle because they could outnumber us in each one. No matter how much you chasing them, they keep running away keeping two circles capped. This became a chasing game. They lost 1 ship. I think because the player got disconnected and could not run anymore.

Problem with the current mechanic if you are outnumbered even by 2,3 or 4 ships its a lost game as long as greater numbers keep kiting you. There is no fight, there is just chasing.
I'm a pirate who came to raid and plunder this city. Why do I need to capture pointless, meaningless circles and whats more lose the battle if I dont and go back, if I came to attack the actual city and kill the actual ships? I need you to understand that this is my objective as a player of a pirate nation and the game invites me to attack the city, but prevents me from harming it... what? Since when my focus in PB is some positioning zones in the open waters away from the coast?
Why have Land in PB if it means nothing? It has no value in the fight, It has no objective to go for.

On 20/12/2016 at 2:17 AM, admin said:

Capture zones 

• Captured zone ticks 2 points every 5 seconds

Sinking enemy ships or losing your ships grants points according the following scheme. 

1. Lineships 40 pts
  2. All other ships 25 points.

My point is how long does it take to sink a ship on the average in such fight? 5 minutes? At least right? And thats if he has done something wrong and got behind his own team on his own surrounded by the enemy who are focusing fire on him. How many SoL ships can you lose in 5 minutes? Can you lose x3 1st rates in 5 minutes? If you do you really doing something wrong as a team, but lets assume you do. Even in the beginning of the fight for the argument sake.

x3 SoL 40points each = 120 points goes to the enemy who is concentrating on killing instead of capping.
5 minutes x 60 second / 5seconds x 2 points = 120 points - the enemy gets same number of points in 5 minutes as if they would have sunk 3 first rates.
Here is more. If enemy chosen fast fleet setup there will be much less or no 1st rates in the fleet, which means each kill will only give 25 points not 40.

In order to sink more ships in points to win the capping team you have to sink 5 ships in 5 minutes. Is this really possible to do?
We don't need to argue about who experienced what. The pure numbers above that can't lie proves that capturing is way overpowered than killing ships. This is even before we take wind disadvantages and let me tell you about the wind.

Initial wind will be determined from the open world on first entry to the port battle. That wind will stay static for a certain time and then will change based on the old proven formula sometimes providing equal opportunity for both sides. This means that timing the port battle start and entry matters and attackers have to carefully decide when to enter the port battle. 

Yeah this is ok on paper, but because the way PB starts now, there is no waiting time in the battle. So soon as PB opens you must enter immediately, else by the time when you decide and position your fleet the defenders will already start sailing to the cap zones. Defenders starting in 1 cap zone already are given another advantage of sailing  first to the cap zones. For the attackers to even get to PB they have to fight and get through the screening, then position their fleet somehow on the right side of a large circle which if they get on the wrong side to start with it will take 5 minutes beating the wind in order to get on the right side. And they can't do it any earlier before PB starts simply because we continue promoting screening.

BF3 capture zone mechanic means both sides starting equal in numbers and time and position. This will never be the case in NA because OW is not a lobby game, why bring lobby game PB mechanic into non balanced opportunistic OW? Your pure concentration on PB mechanics should be:
Ships killing ships, Attackers capping port. That's it. Let it be a simple fight and the fight itself brings joy.
Any arguments that ships where running from the fights etc is just an excuse for cutting corners. You need to work wit us to improve battles, not to make them arcady because its easier for your to do.

5 hours ago, Prater said:

What I would like to see is the attacking side votes for a Fleet Commander.  The Fleet Commander gets to control 5 or so unarmed AI ships that have "troops" on them.  If point A is captured (the point closest to the port), and the AI Troop Transports are in the circle, the attacking side gets points as long as the transports have not taken side damage in the last 15 seconds (counts as the troops being unloaded).  Once 50% of the "troops" have been "unloaded" from their ships (so if the attackers lose 3 transports this doesnt work), the main port fort is knocked out of action (giving 150 points) and the attackers win as long as they have more points than the defenders.  The attackers only win when the transports are unloaded or the defenders have been destroyed or they reach 1000 points (from destroying enemy ships, destroying forts, and holding point A and unloading "troops".  The defenders win by getting 1000 points from controlling A, sinking enemy ships, sinking AI transports for 100 points each, or by the time running out.

I like the idea of troops descent. This usually has been done outside the port somewhere on the surrounding land. Then troops were approaching the fort on foot dragging cannons with them as well. All took hours to prepare and execute and was never really done during the heat of the battle.
This is why earlier I have suggested to make PBs staged. First stage is screening stage where screening is an instance that is built into Port Battle mechanic where killing ships score has effect on the next stage of the battle  where you have to destroy the fort.

Edited by koltes
Was typo. x5 SoL 40points each = 200 points, was meant to be x3 SoL 40points each = 120 points as per post
  • Like 1

Back then, when those wicked fine woods were introduced, I had no pleasure at all at sailing in PVP2´s OW; no pleasure other than an occasion meeting with a brit named Jakeedaman21, which I dont see in months, for a few chases around tort´s area (no battle cause he always fled!); but that kept me going and returning, doing my best to gather stuff to build the fastest and most capable ship that I could; and I also had the opportunity to play some good lineship battles in port battles, along with some of the finest players in this game, some unfortunately, are gone already and not returning. My old clan, for example, COM, ceased to exist in about 2 weeks after that cursed fine woods patch was introduced and pirates were left with no resources what so ever, really, all we had was oak and fir............. Players, not only those of my own clan, kept continuously leaving the game with total disgust for the continuous fuck ups done by these devs.

If one look at PVP2´s map, one will notice how many pbs did pirates fought over the weeks: we had dozens of pbs. Even badly outnumbered, mainly caused by the FLAWED broken mechanics introduced by these devs, which resulted in killing the player base, in special our player base, screwing pirate nation badly; we could still, occasionally, create and win a few pbs and get back a few regions, that, even against a coalition of nations that still spans over 70% of the entire server population (US+Brits), yes that´s right, 70% of the entire fucking pvp2 server is allowed to form one single alliance, but yet, suddenly, to make things worse, when devs said they were going to introduce yet a new feature before fixing the broken ones, land, yes, fucking land and its real towers, they fucking also, those bastards (I know they like this word) introduced a whole new mechanics, some bullshit arcade king of the hill mechanics, copy pasted straight out of World of Warships or worse, that has absolutely nothing to do with age of sail and that killed any chance, at all, of a nation like mine, populated only by hardened sailors but badly outnumbered, who are used to win by skills alone, any chance of ever winning again. Devs killed my last remaining joy, which was playing port battles; even loosing a port battle was already a joy because it was fun. It was the very last opportunity for some real good PVP. Even if those towers floating in the middle of an open ocean felt quite awkward, they were actually more useful than these current pretty ones over land, that means absolutely nothing other than some pretty background. Now the game is left with an empty OW, an enormous grind, a bunch of useless AI fleets, a bunch of broken mechanics, NO PVP, no player base, broken economics and a complete shit racing game port battle, that I´m afraid could be won solely  and easily by a bunch of teenagers that knows absolutely nothing about real naval combat, sailing only renomees against an entire van of ships of the line, just because that´s what it is now.

Honestly, I just can´t understand how devs can continue to listen to these forum arse lickers that love anything that´s thrown up at them, the arcade the better; pvp shy gankers, blind to the fact that the player base continues to die in face of all these crap new features and def by hope alone that one day, this unpolished jewel that was this game, will ever turn out to be something really worth it and ever match our great expectations.

I lost my hope.

Edited by stormridersp

2 hours ago, stormridersp said:

Back then, when those wicked fine woods were introduced, I had no pleasure at all at sailing in PVP2´s OW; no pleasure other than an occasion meeting with a brit named Jakeedaman21, which I dont see in months, for a few chases around tort´s area (no battle cause he always fled!); but that kept me going and returning, doing my best to gather stuff to build the fastest and most capable ship that I could; and I also had the opportunity to play some good lineship battles in port battles, along with some of the finest players in this game, some unfortunately, are gone already and not returning. My old clan, for example, COM, ceased to exist in about 2 weeks after that cursed fine woods patch was introduced and pirates were left with no resources what so ever, really, all we had was oak and fir............. Players, not only those of my own clan, kept continuously leaving the game with total disgust for the continuous fuck ups done by these devs.

If one look at PVP2´s map, one will notice how many pbs did pirates fought over the weeks: we had dozens of pbs. Even badly outnumbered, mainly caused by the FLAWED broken mechanics introduced by these devs, which resulted in killing the player base, in special our player base, screwing pirate nation badly; we could still, occasionally, create and win a few pbs and get back a few regions, that, even against a coalition of nations that still spans over 70% of the entire server population (US+Brits), yes that´s right, 70% of the entire fucking pvp2 server is allowed to form one single alliance, but yet, suddenly, to make things worse, when devs said they were going to introduce yet a new feature before fixing the broken ones, land, yes, fucking land and its real towers, they fucking also, those bastards (I know they like this word) introduced a whole new mechanics, some bullshit arcade king of the hill mechanics, copy pasted straight out of World of Warships or worse, that has absolutely nothing to do with age of sail and that killed any chance, at all, of a nation like mine, populated only by hardened sailors but badly outnumbered, who are used to win by skills alone, any chance of ever winning again. Devs killed my last remaining joy, which was playing port battles; even loosing a port battle was already a joy because it was fun. It was the very last opportunity for some real good PVP. Even if those towers floating in the middle of an open ocean felt quite awkward, they were actually more useful than these current pretty ones over land, that means absolutely nothing other than some pretty background. Now the game is left with an empty OW, an enormous grind, a bunch of useless AI fleets, a bunch of broken mechanics, NO PVP, no player base, broken economics and a complete shit racing game port battle, that I´m afraid could be won solely  and easily by a bunch of teenagers that knows absolutely nothing about real naval combat, sailing only renomees against an entire van of ships of the line, just because that´s what it is now.

Honestly, I just can´t understand how devs can continue to listen to these forum arse lickers that love anything that´s thrown up at them, the arcade the better; pvp shy gankers, blind to the fact that the player base continues to die in face of all these crap new features and def by hope alone that one day, this unpolished jewel that was this game, will ever turn out to be something really worth it and ever match our great expectations.

I lost my hope.

Mate, i know how you feel. Betrayed and screwed by total unfairness. But please dont get down to personal abuses. This not going to help to finsh the game or you to feel any better nor devs actually deserve this or anyone else for that matter

I know COM wanted to do their own thing, but try BLACK. What do you have to lose? I know you might have heard some unpleasant things, but you can find out how much there is actually truth in them yourself. If you dont like it you can always leave. But there is a good chance you will make good friends in there and have good buddies to sail with and fk with those carebears :D

If we are true pirates, true rats we will find a hole to get through this stainless wall of nation alliances. And if we wont find it we will gnaw through like we always do. Thats why they hate us. We keep coming back and bite harder than before.

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, koltes said:

Mate, i know how you feel. Betrayed and screwed by total unfairness. But please dont get down to personal abuses. This not going to help to finsh the game or you to feel any better nor devs actually deserve this or anyone else for that matter

I know COM wanted to do their own thing, but try BLACK. What do you have to lose? I know you might have heard some unpleasant things, but you can find out how much there is actually truth in them yourself. If you dont like it you can always leave. But there is a good chance you will make good friends in there and have good buddies to sail with and fk with those carebears :D

If we are true pirates, true rats we will find a hole to get through this stainless wall of nation alliances. And if we wont find it we will gnaw through like we always do. Thats why they hate us. We keep coming back and bite harder than before.

Some of those good people I mentioned are BLACK, as I am, that includes you; I´m not complaining about BLACK at all. I understand that I might have gone too far with my comments, but they´re the results of months exposing the flaws in the mechanics and see nothing getting fixed and only new ones continuously being broken, patch after patch while the players continue to leave.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 11:29 PM, koltes said:

I know COM wanted to do their own thing, but try BLACK. What do you have to lose? .

Koltes....he's in BLACK NOW.....  I think he was one of the first ones (well close to it) that we got merged into our clan when we decided to merge the two recently.

On 1/7/2017 at 7:44 AM, stormridersp said:

Some of those good people I mentioned are BLACK, as I am, that includes you; I´m not complaining about BLACK at all. I understand that I might have gone too far with my comments, but they´re the results of months exposing the flaws in the mechanics and see nothing getting fixed and only new ones continuously being broken, patch after patch while the players continue to leave.

Yah I think we can all agree there are issues with the system as it's good you have two servers with high pop and low pop right now to test things and even PvP1 is heading the same spot as PvP2.   Super alliances need some system to break or dissolve.  Even if this is just a simple down vote system for nationals that don't want it, to easy for folks to use alts and there clans numbers to out vote the majority.  It's even more easy for guys that aren't even fighting in OW or RvR to out vote the guys that want to fight and have war too.  PvPers all ways tend to be only a small part of any nations population (ok maybe not the pirates cause we tend to attract them more than other nations).   But as been pointed out when you have three nations that have the highest population all in an alliance and they aren't fighting any one except the pirates than there is a problem.  I mean folks constantly vote war with Spain just so they don't have to vote war with any one else.  I think there should be a limit that if you have the most nations regions you can't vote against a nation that has little or none for war.  Either you don't get to vote or you vote for war against a nation that has a lot of regions.  This would force the two largest nations to fight each other.  Than they can bring in under there wings the smaller nations to help them.   

That and they need to do map resets.  Things need to be stired up every couple of months or it will just get stale.   There still is really no end game in this game as there is no Total Conquest or reason to not aligned with other big nations and just have peace.   I'm sorry the PvEr carebears should not be the majority of the power in a server meant to have PvP.   A prime example how the current mechanics are geared more towards PvEers is that shorten hostility window to 5 mins.  The fact most port battles are won without a shot fired or any one sunk.   Devs just got to look at the numbers of ships sunk in a port battle before this patch and than after to see that is a big issue.  If folks aren't getting sunk than something is wrong with your mechanics and people are fighting.  I'm sorry that is why I came to play this game is for the Naval ACTION and that means fights not races to cap circles.  I like the new system cause it is way better than the old one and has more better feel to it with the land in the battles and forts that are used for defense and such, but the point system needs to be changed for a win.   There needs to be a reason to fight like give higher pay outs for ship kills or something or make the ticker even more slower for cap circles.  When your port battles use to last an hour and half with the timer running out a lot of them and not they are almost over in 15 mins with no kills there is an issue with your system.

It's a new year and the Devs need to update the plan for what is to come with the game and give some better feed back so we can help them make a better game.  Right now to many things need tweeks and they keep tweeking them in the wrong direction to chase off the PvP players.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

It's a new year and the Devs need to update the plan for what is to come with the game and give some better feed back so we can help them make a better game.  Right now to many things need tweeks and they keep tweeking them in the wrong direction to chase off the PvP players.

This. Definitely this.

Not against the tweeks they have done completely. Although their balance of PvE to PvP content in each patch and/or spacing between the patches could improve to help maintain the current community. It reminds me in a way to the Madden franchise for the past 4-6 years. They would make improvements but focused too much one side of the ball and in turn creating a broken game. Thankfully, here we are not dealing with the rigid console update policies and most of all EA full control.