Game-Labs Forum

Division names

jwsmith26

I would like to be able to change the name of my divisions to match the commander's name, especially for the Confederate forces. I know they have an impact through perks but as it is currently the divisional commander's are pretty much invisible except in camp. It would be great to know you are moving Jackson's division on the map.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James Cornelius said:

I agree with this. It would be nice to have divisions be somewhat easier to deal with - I never even know where my division commanders are in a battle until I get told one has been killed or wounded.

Agreed. 

Simply color coding divisions, or just using color in their names, would be a huge help to ensure brigades stay within divisional command radius when possible. 

I have taken to renaming brigades with their corps and division indicators to keep track. And naming artillery batteries by the type of guns they field; Napoleons, 6 Pdr, 3" Rifles, etc. Makes it a lot easier to site batteries effectively when you know the gun's range. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jwsmith26 said:

I haven't read that there is a "division command radius" anywhere.

Is there some visual indication of the radius onscreen?

What are the consequences of being outside the radius?

There is no such things. No consequences of not keeping divisions together :).

2 minutes ago, Koro said:

There is no such things. No consequences of not keeping divisions together :).

Well, that's unfortunate. If divisional cohesion has no impact then I don't understand why you would ever use the Combine Division (V) button (at least with the game in its current state). It's unclear to me how this button works and it raises a slew of questions. How do you know which division the brigade will be attached to when you press the button? Can you use this to attach a brigade from division A to division B? When would you use this command, because as far as I can see there is no way for a brigade to become detached from its division in the first place? I suspect these questions will be answered via updates. I'm hoping that the existence of this button foretells bigger things to come for divisional organization.

OK, after thinking about it some I can see that there is currently one narrow use case for this command. If you utilize the AI division command system, then adding a brigade to a division allows the AI to command that brigade. So far the battles in the game have not been large enough for me to resort to turning over parts of the army to AI command, but maybe when the second group of battles are released ...?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwsmith26 said:

Well, that's unfortunate. If divisional cohesion has no impact then I don't understand why you would ever use the Combine Division (V) button (at least with the game in its current state). It's unclear to me how this button works and it raises a slew of questions. How do you know which division the brigade will be attached to when you press the button? Can you use this to attach a brigade from division A to division B? When would you use this command, because as far as I can see there is no way for a brigade to become detached from its division in the first place? I suspect these questions will be answered via updates. I'm hoping that the existence of this button foretells bigger things to come for divisional organization.

You should use Combine division when you have one or two badly wounded brigades that you need to keep in the fight but cannot risk shattering. You must select two similar brigades from the same division at the same time, then select Combine.

For example:

I have Iron Brigade 1 that has 600/800 men. It's getting a little undersized but can still fight. I also have Iron Brigade 2 that has 450/800 men and is at risk of shattering the next time it takes serious casualties. I only have two real options with Iron Brigade 2 in order to protect them: Force retreat them if the battle was going well enough that I didn't need them on the field -or- combine them with Iron Brigade 1 to create a 1050 man Brigade that is still useful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jwsmith26 said:

OK, after thinking about it some I can see that there is currently one narrow use case for this command. If you utilize the AI division command system, then adding a brigade to a division allows the AI to command that brigade. So far the battles in the game have not been large enough for me to resort to turning over parts of the army to AI command, but maybe when the second group of battles are released ...?

Division commanders take over when you combine division on two brigades that have been hurt badly by battle casualties. It allows you to still have strong brigades where you might end up with many few and at a disadvantage.

You cannot combine brigade from different divisions, so here there might be some advantage in keeping your divisions close if you foresee the need to combine them later.

Ok, that command makes more sense now. Thanks, guys.

It seems like the button should be named "Combine Brigades", but I get it now.

That makes me wonder what happens to this new "combined" brigade after the battle? It seems the new brigade must separate back into the two original brigades when back in camp, if not, how would the game deal with a brigade that has two leaders and possibly two different types of weapons?

I really appreciate the info about this feature but it sures raises a whole basket of new questions (I don't expect you guys to answer these - I'll do some testing to see if I can answer them myself.)

Can artillery or cavalry be joined this way?

Can you combine two brigades and then use the same command on this combined brigade to join with a third brigade to make a 3 strong combined brigade?

How are the various weapons ratings, like range, determined for a combined brigade that now has two different types of weapons?

How are troop ratings like stamina and morale determined when you combine two brigades with radically different ratings?

Which brigade leader takes command of the combined division?

Are there circumstances where you cannot combine brigades? Can you combine while under fire?

How close do the 2 brigades need to be to combine?

4 hours ago, jwsmith26 said:

That makes me wonder what happens to this new "combined" brigade after the battle? It seems the new brigade must separate back into the two original brigades when back in camp, if not, how would the game deal with a brigade that has two leaders and possibly two different types of weapons?

I don't think the game has a problem because I suspect AI brigades early do not use unified weapons inside their own brigades.

5 hours ago, jwsmith26 said:

Can you combine two brigades and then use the same command on this combined brigade to join with a third brigade to make a 3 strong combined brigade?

No.

5 hours ago, jwsmith26 said:

How close do the 2 brigades need to be to combine?

They can be far apart, one will just start walking towards the other.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm almost certain that three brigades can be combined, Hitori. I'd also not recommend they be far apart, as they march slowly when merging and cannot be given other orders without breaking the merge command. I order them to run together, and only when they've overlapped do I issue the order to combine. 

8 minutes ago, GeneralPITA said:

I'm almost certain that three brigades can be combined, Hitori. I'd also not recommend they be far apart, as they march slowly when merging and cannot be given other orders without breaking the merge command. I order them to run together, and only when they've overlapped do I issue the order to combine. 

Are you just going around necroing every dead topic solely to chime in? That's generally pretty poor form.

I've never been able to do explicitly what he said and combine another brigade into an already combined one. I also never said they should be far apart (and in fact have said the opposite elsewhere), just that they can be and they'll fix themselves.