Game-Labs Forum

Bravely Ran Away!

_Masterviolin

So there I was- sailing in a pretty, brand-new Essex (dubbed HMS Black Prince) after a really fun mission near Savanna La Mar. I felt pretty great; confidently sunk an AI trinco with minimal damage sustained.

However, as I sipped at my tea, I noticed something unusual! Two pirate Privateers, bearing down upon me! Bah; how dare two little schooners attack a great frigate like me! Should be easy, right?

Well, it turns out I'm a total idiot.

After a grueling hour of getting the "death from a thousand cuts" treatment to my rigging, I finally managed to actually hit the little buggers. (Kudos to Hethwill and his mate for a damn fine job managing their rigging so that a 20 shot broadside at close range would totally miss half of the time). But I was in a rough state and tired from the hour of dancing around and getting owned by two privateers. So I turned tail and slowly tore down their sails to the point we both went "meh".

Now every bloody sailor and officer in Kingston-Port Royal has apparently been mocking my foolery! I heard this in a tavern yesterday, and now my crew's even muttering it as they work right under my nose. 

Bravely bold Captain Hammond,
Sailed forth from Carsile
He was not afraid to die

Oh, brave Captain Hammond,

He was not at all afraid
To be killed in nasty ways
Brave, brave, brave, brave Captain Hammond

He was not in the least bit scared

To be mashed into a pulp
Or to have his rudder gouged out
And his morale broken
To have his sails torn
And his ship burned away
And his gun crews all hacked and mangled
Brave Captain Hammond!

"That's... that's enough music for now, lads."

Brave Captain Hammond ran away
Bravely ran away away
When privaters reared their ugly heads,
He bravely turned his tail and fled
Yes, brave Captain Hammond came about
And gallantly he scurried out

Bravely taking to the rigging
He beat a very brave retreat
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

• Like 12

Sir,

Your defense use of wind was noteworthy after the beach started to get dangerously close for your safety.

I commend you for much better play than most of the Royal Navy post officers.

The Naval Academy standards is rushing them to the meat grinder using undercrewed ships, having no idea of manual and especially no idea how all ships, including schooners, work.

I urge you to press the higher offices to really train your Navy and Maritime trade officers properly.

~ much respect ~

the sea rovers

PG Monkey

Hethwill

• Like 2

Sir,

Your defense use of wind was noteworthy after the beach started to get dangerously close for your safety.

I commend you for much better play than most of the Royal Navy post officers.

The Naval Academy standards is rushing them to the meat grinder using undercrewed ships, having no idea of manual and especially no idea how all ships, including schooners, work.

I urge you to press the higher offices to really train your Navy and Maritime trade officers properly.

~ much respect ~

the sea rovers

PG Monkey

Hethwill

Thank you for your kind words; the two of you were very chivalrous in the entire affair, and I did enjoy the engagement despite various tedium :)

I agree with your conclusion above. I don't know why anyone would prefer undercrewing a ship- suffering from slower gunnery, sailing and other significant vulnerabilities. I think a fully crewed Suprise would whup a undercrewed Trinco's bum! In addition, the game is much more fun when you pick a ship (Essex for me, Surprise a while back and Pickle in the early days!) and spend time learning every single detail about it. These ships are machines; complicated machines which can only be used to their full potential if you spend time learning how to use them!

Edited by _Masterviolin
  • Like 2