Game-Labs Forum

Battle Tag, Later Join and Social Perk Proposal

In my opinion, the only way to match the OW accelerated time with the battle real time, along with maintaining some realism is the following:

1) reduce the tag circle size (avoid too much defensive tag)

2) ships join battle depending on their position in OW like now

3) if you join later, your position in Battle depends on your position in OW, but the distance depends entirely on joining time. So, example (with max distance 10km, but it can be fine tuned).

---Case A, no Social Perk, actual 2 minutes battle entry time (I suggest 3 minutes and calculations are for 3 minutes)

If you join after 30 seconds, you will spawn at 900 m.

If you join at 60 seconds, you will spawn at 3,3 km.

If you join at the edge, 3 minutes, you will spawn at 10 km.

---Case B, Social Perk, actual 30 minutes battle entry time (I suggest 15 minutes and calculation are for 15 minutes)

If you join after 1 minute, you will spawn at 600 m.

If you join at 5 minutes, you will spawn at 3,3 km.

If you join at the edge, 15 minutes, you will spawn at 10 km.

This is my opinion and it let:

- Attacking people evaluate the situation as it evolves, in case enemy reinforcements arrive they can continue attacking or flee. 

- Defending people can still ask for support, and as in real life it can take time for them to arrive. Once arrived, they join at a distance. 

The best outcome here is that:

- it is a good compromise between the battle real time and OW fast time

- it creates strategical decision to made in order for attackers or defenders

- there is no advantages for attackers or defenders

just my 2 cents,

thanks, 

ciao,

Edited by lukebigjaws
  • Like 2

The only problem i see with reducing the attack circle because of defense tagging is that it will make offensive tagging even harder.

Ow hunting is what i do and most people IF they ever leave port its only to zip to another port very close. Tagging already can be hard and a small circle would be worse.

We have already been here. Any edge join proposal is subject to the overshooting abuse. http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

In combination with a prolonged timer it also suffers from the Mexican stand-off gank.

It works as follows:

1. Battle initiates, but you keep some/most forces on the outside.

2. The victim inside no longer has knowledge of outside movement.

3. Move both inside and outside forces in sync towards a potential reinforcement point.

(Now the Mexican stand-off gank)

4. Wait and watch reinforcements arrive. They can't do anything except sail around/over the edge. Sailing into the circle means missing the fight.

5. Wait until the timer reaches almost 0. Join.

6. Should the revenge fleet come close to your potential reinforcement point, you have the initiative to dictate terms of engagement.

As Prater is saying in another topic, there is already a lot of experience around with different options. This experience is hidden deeply in the forums though. For a suggestion to work it must not only address primary needs, but also denounce known abuses. Hence we need more inventory type topics like http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15575-the-definitive-battle-screen-ganking-guide/. (A post Prater hates. :P )

Hence the proposals of both myself and admin have a common theme: no battle join timer.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14789-faul-battle-entry-timer-be-gone-with-thou/

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15737-rules-of-engagement-feedback/?p=295365

I agree that tagging should be changed to a 0 or very low timer with an enemy ship in your gun arcs.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14784-defensive-tagging/?p=293223

• Like 1

What is really really really funny ?!

Watching streams of captains still waiting outside the battle for a large group before they dare enter a Social battle. There is no way around "misguided confidence" in one's own gameplay abilities.

Obviously ending on a 25 vs 7 because.... social :)

• Like 2

You cannot increase distance from join location because of land in battles. What if your join circle is mostly in the land, with only the inside edge available to join? Applying a distance ability to your join location would place you in the land.

What you could do is apply a spawn time penalty and leave late joiners to watch battle while their spawn timer counts down, but people would just cry, cry, cry.

Proposal to decrease "attack" circle and greatly increase the "pull" circle with battle closing immediately is the best solution to multiple problems, but it would be messy in its own way.

Posted Today, 09:27 AM

Vernon Merrill, on 23 Aug 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:snapback.png

Now, can we test that tagging system you mentioned a week ago with the small tag circle and large pull circle with no join timer??  PLEAAAAAAASE?

next patch