Game-Labs Forum

Graphic gliches on x64 version

Stilgar

Hello, gents.

Been playing NA from the release. Game is playable, although I have an approx. 5-years old system. However, there is a bit of mystery I could not solve so far. I've posted about this in another topic briefly, but did not insist at the time to dig into that.

My system Win 7 x64, Asus P5Q, E8400, 8Gb DDR2, HD6950. The problem is that if I try to run main launcher (Naval Action), which is supposedly x64 version, I see graphical glitches as shown below. Tried to play with settings, updated drivers, but w/o any result so far.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732559893

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732560003

If I run the x86 launcher, supposedly x32 bit version (beta and not supported!) all looks fine. I bother asking because I assume that I should be able to play x64 bit version and perhaps overall performance would be better (matching OS version).

So, any suggestions to fix that? Could that be something specific to AMD graphics?

Thanks!

Edited by Stilgar

Thanks both for reply.

@ Wind. Tried switching to low settings. Did not help.

@ Olav. There is a bit of story to it ... until very recently I played on HD6850 1Gb and had same issue. I have upgraded drivers to latest ones a month ago or so. The issues was still there. Today I switched to HD6950 2Gb (I am stuck with PCI 2.0, so cannot use more recent cards), just to boost graphics a bit. So, driver is most recent for this card (CC version 5.7.1), but same issue is still there.

Used the utility to uninstall drivers (in safe mod), then installed drivers again. Glitches still there, lol. AMD has own clean uninstall utility, but I suppose the result will be the same.

I wonder if tweaking the settings in CC center would help?

Edited by Stilgar

Thanks anyway. Well, I'll keep looking into that in comming days.

On positive side, the x86 version just running fine and I see a nice performance gain with HD6950: around 30 FPS in OW now on high settings and probably around same in battle.

Edited by Stilgar

Captain Stilgar, as the first step please try to set Compatibility Mode with Windows 7 on the both client.exe and client_,exe files (here \SteamApps\common\Naval Action) and reply back with the results.

Also to clarify - do you have Win SP1 installed?

Another workaround is to turn AMD CrossfireX feature off, but as you provided the specs this is must be not your case.

• Like 1

SP1 installed. In compatibility with Win7 mode cannot start x64 version at all. Will repeat the experiment, but I think I tried that before with old card with same result.

How can I check if AMD CrossfireX feature is on or off?

Again, not big deal, the x32 version runs all right, just trying to solve this little puzzle.

Thanks for feedback, everyone. Will try game reinstall and then crimson's drivers, if no result.

@ Bart Smit. I do not think that's the problem: glitches present at very start of the game, when GPU must be still pretty cool.

UPDATE!

Tried compatibility with Win7 again. This time started and went to get a cup of coffee. After staying 3-4 mins in Not responding status in Task Manager and eating up 100% of CPU for those few minutes, the game did start. No glitches in OW any more. (x86 version starts in 20-30 secs).

Anyway, kinda solved, gents. Will play on x64 version in coming days to see if it runs any better than x86. Thanks to all for replies and tips!