Game-Labs Forum

>>>Feedback for Ultimate General: Gettysburg v0.9+<<< (Update 15/10/2014)

Nick Thomadis

Nick, 

I observed a few more issues with the stuck units that may help you.

1. once stuck the unit graphic keeps walking but going no where

2. the unit takes casualties like its under fire. I think Candy or Kane had lost 200 men by end of game against REB

3. when i selected the unit and drag to move the unit south (down). The drag graphic worked fine for a bit but about halfway down the map the drag graphic stopped and moved left in a straight line. Like the computer thought it was at bottom of screen but it was not. The further down i moved my mouse the more left the line on the screen went.

4. i tried to select all possible unit command options. None had any effect. As REB said all other units etc seemed fine just the few stuck ones were ... um .... stuck.

Continuing my adventures versus the AI, this time playing as Confed v Cunning which should (in theory) be best suited to managing the Union army. Below are links to pictures of various stages of the battle with my comments added describing what happened.

opening stages

objectives left open

Union wearing down, frittering away its strength

Union has broken

Taking Seminary

the end

Next phase of the battle I was to drive the Union from Seminary Ridge and if possible take the Cemetery and Culp's Hill. Once again, here's the pictorial history...

opening stages

flanking left

flanking right

between hammer and anvil

battle ended early because reasons

Cunning is not cunning I'm afraid, not even Baldrick level of cunning. You can't put a tail on this AI and call it a weasel. It gave me a much tougher fight in 0.8.5.

The Cunning AI is characterized by timidity and paralysis, interspersed with sudden charges (which often appear triggered by artillery setting up nearby) and occasional pointless assaults. It allows its units to become distracted away from objectives, its reserves do nothing until under attack, its General is motionless, it fails to hold a cohesive line allowing its units to be enfiladed, and it completely fails to respond to flanking movements. The only thing saving it from complete and utter annihilation was a sudden and unexpected end to the battle.

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. My biggest hope for the patch was that many more Custom Battles would become available - instead I think we lost one and gained none.

I played a round of Union Bombards Cemetery Ridge against a 'Cunning' Confederate AI (I like the challenge of attacking with Union troops. It's like pushing Jell-O uphill). The Cunning AI used the same strategy it always does here - immediately strip Cemetery Ridge and throw everything into an all-out assault on Little Round Top, which is bold, but never works.

In terms of mechanics, the game ran smooth and everything seemed to work, except I kept seeing a strange issue with the blue movement paths.

It's difficult to explain, but if you draw a line for a unit, then use one of the WASD keys to move the map while you still have that unit highlighted, the movement path disappears. You have to go back and draw it again. In order for the movement path to stay visible, you have to draw it, then de-select the unit (either by clicking on empty ground or on another unit) and then you can move the map.

Continuing my test playing Confed vs Cunning here are phases 4 and 5 of my battle, images containing comments describing the battle at that point & what the AI was doing.

Attacking the Cemetery

initial stages, north

initial stages, south

taking Cemetery Ridge unopposed, turning the Union left flank

Union reinforcements arrive, 2 brigades off chasing my skirmishers

beginning the real battle for the Cemetery

Union center routed, Cemetery conceded

End game

The AI was too static in the north, mostly because it had sent 2 reserve brigades on a battle-long futile pursuit of Heth's Skirmishers, and because it committed all its reinforcements to taking back Cemetery Ridge in the south from my one garrison brigade & 2 artillery batteries and then pursuing them far to the west before finally joining the rest of the army once Cemetery was long lost. Hence the forces defending the Cemetery were basically left without any reserves and unable to maneuver. Potentially the AI could have withdrawn back to a straighter and shorter line when I started to squeeze, but instead it tried to hold the existing line resulting in brigades being pinched from both sides and routed.

Union Counter-attack

Initial stages. I rush to secure Fisher's Farm objective, the AI sits on its hands and watches me do it

AI begins massed and ponderous attack on Fisher's Farm

Union attack on Fisher's is broken, AI begins flanking right

AI pressures Culps and Benner's hills and makes gestures towards Cemetery

End of battle summary

End of campaign summary

The AI fought a little better in this one, but it made a huge error at the start by not contesting the farm. It failed to support its counter-attack on the farm with Generals, and it failed to push hard with even a single charge. I think it expected me to pack up and retreat of my own accord. I did like its flanking move on Culps/Benners, which was the only real initiative the AI had shown in any battle in the entire campaign, even though it was too little too late.

And that ends my AI feedback battles unless Nick you'd like to see more - I don't want to spam the thread too much. Hopefully there's information here you can use to improve the AI in future updates.

Continuing my test playing Confed vs Cunning here are phases 4 and 5 of my battle, images containing comments describing the battle at that point & what the AI was doing.

Attacking the Cemetery

initial stages, north

initial stages, south

taking Cemetery Ridge unopposed, turning the Union left flank

Union reinforcements arrive, 2 brigades off chasing my skirmishers

beginning the real battle for the Cemetery

Union center routed, Cemetery conceded

End game

The AI was too static in the north, mostly because it had sent 2 reserve brigades on a battle-long futile pursuit of Heth's Skirmishers, and because it committed all its reinforcements to taking back Cemetery Ridge in the south from my one garrison brigade & 2 artillery batteries and then pursuing them far to the west before finally joining the rest of the army once Cemetery was long lost. Hence the forces defending the Cemetery were basically left without any reserves and unable to maneuver. Potentially the AI could have withdrawn back to a straighter and shorter line when I started to squeeze, but instead it tried to hold the existing line resulting in brigades being pinched from both sides and routed.

Union Counter-attack

Initial stages. I rush to secure Fisher's Farm objective, the AI sits on its hands and watches me do it

AI begins massed and ponderous attack on Fisher's Farm

Union attack on Fisher's is broken, AI begins flanking right

AI pressures Culps and Benner's hills and makes gestures towards Cemetery

End of battle summary

End of campaign summary

The AI fought a little better in this one, but it made a huge error at the start by not contesting the farm. It failed to support its counter-attack on the farm with Generals, and it failed to push hard with even a single charge. I think it expected me to pack up and retreat of my own accord. I did like its flanking move on Culps/Benners, which was the only real initiative the AI had shown in any battle in the entire campaign, even though it was too little too late.

And that ends my AI feedback battles unless Nick you'd like to see more - I don't want to spam the thread too much. Hopefully there's information here you can use to improve the AI in future updates.

I really thank you for such an informative post again. The problem of AI Union is that in campaign it has a really tough task to defend vs overwhelming forces that come from all sides. There is an old bug that we will repair asap, that makes AI to "blob", 2 or more units get inside the other, making them unresponsive until the first of the line moves and then they start to see again. This huge malfunction actually is one of the main reasons that AI sometimes cannot see threats near him or at the flanks and then we know what happens. We should fix before release.

still getting frozen brigades since the hotfix.  I do not think I have seen it happen to any of the initial wave of units or starting units on any map.  I think it only happens to later reinforcements.  I also have not seen it impact artilley.

We will try to fix this issue until this Friday.

• Like 1

The faster speed is disturbing - like a jog - and the men moving so makes the units seem smaller than brigades and more like the number of men drawn on screen.

In the first scenario, the Confederate AI on Determined did not focus on taking McPherson's ridge and guarding its flanks, but David and Archer happily brushed away the skirmishers and kept on to Seminary Hill, where in due course they were dislodged and sent tumbling back by superior Union reinforcements. It is a bold move, and if reinforced and with a leader close by and a broader front might have been able to hold the position.  

I would like to be able to spectate while the AI plays both sides - would seem useful for testing as well.

I cannot launch the Game it stays in black screen(Single n Multiplayer).
I have reinstalled twice now, I did a reformat of my OS last night.
All other games launch fine.

Check all obvious places(firewall etc), to see what is wrong,
I have ran into a wall.....
Worked fine yesterday, installed the updated version(0.92) 2 hrs ago now this .     :wacko:
I seen in the bug fixes that there was a fix for Black screen launches,

but never had that problem except today.

Edit: fixed, thx for the great support..........

I've tried the first scenario, during the battle I've ordered Brockenbrough's and Pettigrew's brigades to charge some enemy skirmishers, they have succesfully dislodged them from their positions but, while Pettigrew's stops after dislodging them, Brockenbrough's didn't and continued to run for others 500-600 meters chasing the skirmishers, by doing so they ran directly into the Iron brigade, don't know if this a bug or if it work as intended.

For the LOS I don't have seen improvements in terms of more 3D perception, the altimetric differences still looks flat, the hills and ridges don't pronounce enough from the terrain to have a sense of depth and high, Herr's ridge and the others hills are recognizable as hills because they have the name over them, even with the altimeter bars the terrain look flat...

For the rest I've not seen enemy troops blobs or enemy troops frozen.

For the LOS I don't have seen improvements in terms of more 3D perception, the altimetric differences still looks flat, the hills and ridges don't pronounce enough from the terrain to have a sense of depth and high, Herr's ridge and the others hills are recognizable as hills because they have the name over them, even with the altimeter bars the terrain look flat...

May I repeat the request for some small horse-and-musket-era style perpendicular rays attached at intervals to the downhill side of the contour lines where the interlined height value does not make it obvious.

I've just played through a full battle as Union versus Cunning. Link to album is below, containing screenshots from all phases of the battle showing the AI's actions (or inactions) with commentary describing what it did well and what it did poorly.

http://imgur.com/a/prvBn#0

Thank you this surely will help a lot.

I cannot launch the Game it stays in black screen(Single n Multiplayer).

I have reinstalled twice now, I did a reformat of my OS last night.

All other games launch fine.

Check all obvious places(firewall etc), to see what is wrong,

I have ran into a wall.....

Worked fine yesterday, installed the updated version(0.92) 2 hrs ago now this .     :wacko:

I seen in the bug fixes that there was a fix for Black screen launches,

but never had that problem except today.

A small hotfix will be enrolled  that could fix this.

I've tried the first scenario, during the battle I've ordered Brockenbrough's and Pettigrew's brigades to charge some enemy skirmishers, they have succesfully dislodged them from their positions but, while Pettigrew's stops after dislodging them, Brockenbrough's didn't and continued to run for others 500-600 meters chasing the skirmishers, by doing so they ran directly into the Iron brigade, don't know if this a bug or if it work as intended.

May I repeat the request for some small horse-and-musket-era style perpendicular rays attached at intervals to the downhill side of the contour lines where the interlined height value does not make it obvious.

Enhanced contour lines will only make the visuals more confusing. The best solution would be to increase the shading/contrast of 2D texture map but that will require development time which the team needs to find.

If shading and contrast were enhanced, that would potentially interfere with LoS display. I do think a better LoS system would be to color-code units within the cone that can be seen and fired at, as then you'll know for sure whether a unit is going to be able to shoot at an enemy you're targeting. You won't have to take a guess based on the shade of grey of the underlying terrain plus it'd work for determining whether trees, buildings or other units are blocking LoS.

Hi,

I'm using a Mac, and the game has run fine, even as of last night, and then today when I go to launch the game I get a message saying "Failed to start game (missing executable.)"  It has a link to steam support and describes a process to go through, but I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac:

Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)

I see the error "Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)" when launching a game through Steam.  What can I do? 

Troubleshooting

This error results from the improper delivery of necessary game files. Please follow the steps below to initiate a small download of the missing content:

1. Completely exit Steam.
  2. Navigate to your Steam installation folder (~C:\Program Files\Steam) 
  3. Delete the 'appcache' folder.
  4. Restart your computer and attempt to launch the game through Steam

If the issue persists, it may be that a program on your machine is interfering with the proper delivery of game files:

Please temporarily uninstall any applications listed in our Programs Which May Interfere with Steam.

Additionally, it is possible that anti-virus software is reporting game files as malicious.

I don't even know where the steam installation folder is on a Mac, and I searched for an "appcache" folder and didn't have any luck.

I've uninstalled the game and tried installing it again and that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.  Also, I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the game seemed to reinstall really, really fast.. It only took about 2 seconds and it said the game had successfully installed. Seems like it would be hard to install the necessary files in that short amount of time. Can someone help me figure out what is wrong and how to get it working again?

Enhanced contour lines will only make the visuals more confusing. The best solution would be to increase the shading/contrast of 2D texture map but that will require development time which the team needs to find.

Those not looking would hardly notice a tiny ray, barely a dot, on the downhill side, at wide intervals - unless looking for it to check which way is up or down.

Too much shading does not look right either on a daytime map.