Game-Labs Forum

Upgrades from Wrecks

To preface this post, I really like the shipwreck feature. 

I think that the upgrades you get from the wrecks are too good.  I do not think that you should ALWAYS get an exceptional upgrade from every wreck you find.  I scavenged an Exceptional Powder Monkeys off of a trader's cutter, which is just absurd to me.  Exceptional upgrades are meant to be rare - something to work for and extremely valuable and the current system makes all other upgrades Basic to Mastercraft irrelevant. 

So my proposal is pretty simple (numbers can be tuned): 

10% chance of Exceptional

15% chance of Mastercraft

75% chance of Fine

You are always guaranteed at least a Fine upgrade, however it is still possible to get lucky and get an Exceptional version.  This allows people with 50 crafting to still be able to make some money off of upgrades, and provides a way for people lucky enough to get a bottle a chance of finding some good modules. 

Reducing how frequently exceptional modules enter the game allow devs to increase the quantity of bottle drops.  Now not every wreck you go to will have an exceptional upgrade, but you get more bottles to find more wrecks. 

• Like 2

I hunt shipwrecks :) I am addicted:) 

I fully understand where you are comming from, i just want to point out , that when you reach lvl 50 crafting, alot of the modules can be made by yourself. So if i do find a module in a shipwreck i like it much more that it has some decent quality otherwise i am just better of with crafting  and leaving the shipwrecks for what they are. 

Perhaps 25% and the remaining 25% would be labour contracts?

• Like 3

I think that the upgrades you get from the wrecks are too good.  I do not think that you should ALWAYS get an exceptional upgrade from every wreck you find.  I scavenged an Exceptional Powder Monkeys off of a trader's cutter, which is just absurd to me.  Exceptional upgrades are meant to be rare - something to work for and extremely valuable and the current system makes all other upgrades Basic to Mastercraft irrelevant. 

75% chance of Fine

You are always guaranteed at least a Fine upgrade, however it is still possible to get lucky and get an Exceptional version.  This allows people with 50 crafting to still be able to make some money off of upgrades, and provides a way for people lucky enough to get a bottle a chance of finding some good modules. 

Reducing how frequently exceptional modules enter the game allow devs to increase the quantity of bottle drops.  Now not every wreck you go to will have an exceptional upgrade, but you get more bottles to find more wrecks. 

I like this idea if the bottles appeared often and if the ship wrecks weren't half way across the world. As it is now, I have found only 1 bottle. Since the first night, nearly everyone I talk with has found only 1 bottle. Granted the first night people were finding 10 or so, but no longer. I have sailed for about 6 total hours since the first night and found only 1 bottle. Please give me my gold mods. heh.

• Like 1

I think that the upgrades you get from the wrecks are too good. I do not think that you should ALWAYS get an exceptional upgrade from every wreck you find. I scavenged an Exceptional Powder Monkeys off of a trader's cutter, which is just absurd to me. Exceptional upgrades are meant to be rare - something to work for and extremely valuable and the current system makes all other upgrades Basic to Mastercraft irrelevant.

75% chance of Fine

You are always guaranteed at least a Fine upgrade, however it is still possible to get lucky and get an Exceptional version. This allows people with 50 crafting to still be able to make some money off of upgrades, and provides a way for people lucky enough to get a bottle a chance of finding some good modules.

Reducing how frequently exceptional modules enter the game allow devs to increase the quantity of bottle drops. Now not every wreck you go to will have an exceptional upgrade, but you get more bottles to find more wrecks.

It is only the immortal (i.e. not permanent) exceptional upgrades that are an issue. If I spend an hour+ to go to a wreck, and I get a random permanent mod, it had better be exceptional.

But then, immortal mods are somewhat of a questionable design decision anyways.

I don't think it will kill shipwrecks as long as labor contracts are in mix. 500 LH is a pretty big boost to production. On the other hand I've only been able to find two bottles so im also cool with keeping the exceptional drops :D

Edited by Potemkin

Just add lives to Upgrades like we have for Officers:)<will go grab my flame resistant suit now>

Actually not a bad idea, leave perm upgrades as they are and have reg upgrades degrade 1 dura per battle (obviously the dura loss rate and total number of duras would have to be discussed). Instead of disappearing after losing all duras the mod goes down 1 quality to represent wear and tear and the replacement thereof for equipment/replacement of casualties in marines and boarding parties. On the flip side i can see how this might hurt pvp, but it would create a sink for surplus upgrades and open up the ability for devs to find more ways to inject them into the community in ways that make it easier for every player to acquire.

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 1

Well there already are lives, sort of. Idf you sink with last durability you lose all those upgrades.

Consider also a gold upgrade costs on average 300-500k.

If you have removable gold upgrades n a 1 dur ship you deserve to lose them.. just saying:)

Actually not a bad idea, leave perm upgrades as they are and have reg upgrades degrade 1 dura per battle (obviously the dura loss rate and total number of duras would have to be discussed). Instead of disappearing after losing all duras the mod goes down 1 quality to represent wear and tear and the replacement thereof for equipment/replacement of casualties in marines and boarding parties. On the flip side i can see how this might hurt pvp, but it would create a sink for surplus upgrades and open up the ability for devs to find more ways to inject them into the community in ways that make it easier for every player to acquire.

Not per battle per each time you lose a dur on the ship they are on at the time