Game-Labs Forum

More and longer smoke from the cannons

Good Morning everyone here on land or sea

What do you think about more and longer smoke of the cannons?

It would give a battle more deep and more or less action in navigating and fireing the guns.

I personaly think that a change of this kind is a way more better and realistic then "sunk by a ram and or a bunch of leaks"

with longer smoke on the water, when sailing the big vessels, you must stay in your battle line and sometimes fire blind like in the good old days of sailing.

I post it here because we had yesterday a discussion in our clan about such a change, while some of us where in a battle with their belonas.

Feel free to discuss and will the wind allways be with you

William

Edited by William Livingston Alden

Good Morning everyone here on land or sea

What do you think about more and longer smoke of the cannons?

It would give a battle more deep and more or less action in navigating and fireing the guns.

I personaly think that a change of this kind is a way more better and realistic then "sunk by a ram and or a bunch of leaks"

with longer smoke on the water, when sailing the big vessels, you must stay in your battle line and sometimes fire blind like in the good old days of sailing.

I post it here because we had yesterday a discussion in our clan about such a change, while some of us where in a battle with their belonas.

Feel free to discuss and will the wind allways be with you

William

yes please if its more realistic to have more , longer lasting smoke from cannons DO IT!! it adds more layers of complexity to naval battles and that is what makes this game so unique!

As a reenactor who deals with black powder quite a bit, I can tell you that smoke only lingers on a windless day when humidity is high. It also tends to be thicker in the morning.

On the open sea, with nothing to block the wind and a strong, steady wind like we have currently, smoke would dissipate quickly. As well, it's actually almost too thick on the occasions when you get stuck in it. 10 to 60 cannon aren't going to make a solid smoke screen.

10 to 60 cannon aren't going to make a solid smoke screen. 

Pretty sure you're wrong there, since sometimes ships fired their broadsides at extreme range for the express purpose of creating a one-ship smokescreen.

Have you ever seen 60 cannon firing full charges in a space less than 200 feet long? I want to go to that reenactment.

• Like 1

In principal and if its more realistic then I'm in favour. However I can also see that it may cause problems as was mentioned for those with lower end pc's.

I have also once or twice experienced the frustration of not being able to see the enemy and fire because of the smoke. At the time I loved the realism but I was also cursing the smoke.

It's a great idea though and perhaps a tweak should be tried it increase the linger by say 10-15%.

Obviously fps in larger battles would need monitoring and AI would also need to be affected in accuracy. But it strengthens this game as a naval action simulation rather than naval 'arcade' which some recent changes felt like.

I'd adore for the seas to be littered with smoke in a large battle, but already having one fellow of mine refund the game due to sub-25 FPS performance on all-low settings, I'm certain that it won't be a positive change.

I'm not saying that development priority should be dedicated towards optimization on lower-end PCs. But it would be unfortunately not worth the change to detriment those players on the cusp of unplayability, which some of mine are very within. Talking about 40fps tops on the OW and drops to 25 or so in battle. Any lower and those poor fellas would not be able to really participate and have fun.