Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion to stop counter tagging

but what exactly is wrong with that? In fact with my proposal the attack and tagging mechanics don't change at all except that you cannot attack a ship that is following you.

This radically changes tagging mechanics for the worse not better.

1. When tagging who is in front or behind has no relevance to the quality of the tag. I may want to shift up wind, down wind, get a better facing for the start of the fight or any other numerous factors that come into play. Your way totally ruins that. Your way forces every tag to start with me behind my target facing his arse on every fight. This is a terrible start for half the ships in the game.

2. This ruins any close haul ships and make them irrelevant. I may want to tag while I am in front since it gives me a close haul advantage.

3. Since your idea takes zero consideration of the diversity of ship best angles in mind your way will create more useless battles not more.

4. What relevance does OS ship facing have to determine the aggressor? None. If I want to go around attacking my enemies in my Trader Lynx I should be able to do so as long as I meet the BR requirement. Just because I don't have the normal ship make-up doesn't give any player the right to say sorry, I can't attack you with my arse pointed at you. As a Trader Lynx my arse pointed towards you IS my advantage.

5. You idea removes all responsibility on the aggressor to think wisely about his attack. This takes away from all the interesting tactics that make this game good.

6. You dumb down the PVP so only the best ships win. Anyone can win now at any time or get away from a fight.

7. This is one more important than all the rest. Your idea rewards the dumb and punishes the smarter players. The harder it is to kill people the better the PVP is and the better the players have to be in order to succeed. Your idea is the First Person Shooter version of a "head shot". Boring!  

But it doesn't have anything to do with realism

The problem is that all of the realistic ways for a slower ship to save itself are not in the game (and some of them would be difficult to implement and not much fun to play).

The Constitution escaped by outsailing her pursuers. My impression is that it wasn't a "faster ship", it was just better handled by the captain, including some innovative use of kedge anchors in still wind and tricking the pursuers into thinking a squall line was more than it really was. Also, with chases lasting days, there's more chances to disappear in weather or darkness.

(I wonder if it would be amusing to have real night-time in this game. Ships don't even render from more than a couple miles away. It might start to get light and you realize enemy ships are everywhere or you have unwittingly sailed away from your own fleet. And what if we just got rid of "auto skipper" and it was ALWAYS manual sails...)

So with no realistic ways for a slower ship to escape (and very few ways to "out-sail" your opponent in a chase), your proposal would just mean fast ships dominate (more than they already do).

• Like 1

Many of the smaller frigates and unrated ships are faster than any other similarly sized ship in a specific angle to the wind. Know the angles and you are fine. For bigger ships... Well, you should always count on losing your ship if you sail a bigger frigate or even SOL alone in hostile waters.

That being said, I do believe that the angles for the Reno should be tweaked. I think she should behave a bit worse in close hauled and beam reach to compensate for her insane speed in braod range.

And again, because I didn't say it often enough... If you are in the situation when you are chased by a faster ship that can actually defeat you in combat you already made a bunch of mistakes at this point. The main mistake being, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And again, because I didn't say it often enough... If you are in the situation when you are chased by a faster ship that can actually defeat you in combat you already made a bunch of mistakes at this point. The main mistake being, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You call that a mistake, I call that fun.

Hunting in a palce where enemy cannot chase you is as boring and bland as I can imagine.

Use a faster ship with bow chasers and shoot better.....plenty of people getting sunk everyday even with counter tagging.

So now you want to tell me that not the fastest ship should catch up, but only a ship that happens to have bow chasers? :P

(Not an attack against you personally, but more a response to some earlier posts from others)

Hunting in a palce where enemy cannot chase you is as boring and bland as I can imagine.

In an area where noone can hunt you you will not find anyone to hunt for yourself, of course. The idea is not to play it 100% safe, that's not possible anyway, but to make it a calculated risk, and reduce the chance to be caught. There are so many things you could base your strategy and decisions on, whereas now it just comes down to the tagging game.