Game-Labs Forum

New types of Woods, exploring, trading and crafting

Easy way to merge PVP and PVE, implementing at same time exploration (uncharted ports and NPC nations, and opening the pacific coast) and boosting the trading roles and crafting as well.

The “new word” has hundreds, maybe thousands different types of woods and timbers. Some have best features than oak and live oak (historically, ships were made with some of that rare timbers). By example, the Brazilian Iron Wood is the hardest type of wood in the world (if drilled dried, it brakes the machinery, even today!). Imagine ships made from that wood!

My suggestion is quite simple: implementing kind like 10 or more that rarest woods (each one with specific features that can slight alters some characteristics of the vessels, increasing armor, turning rate, improving rigging, etc. These woods can be obtained only in few ports or at pacific coasts; Maybe can be randomly generated in specific areas of the map for some time (window like system).

With these simple implements, exploring can be introduced and the market can be extensively warmed as crafting as well. Will be nice to own a ship made from a rare kind of wood, making it more personal and with a touch of exclusively, besides the unique characteristics at battle. Crafter can be proud (and rich) using it. Traders can make big profits too. Everybody will be happy.

Check your information in regards to wood types there. Ironwood is not the hardest type of wood. That honor belongs to the quebracho, which takes 20000 N of force to break, compared to Brizilian Ironwood's 14,500 N of force.

As to your suggestion, while there were some rare woods used in ships, such as lignum vitae, the price of these woods makes it uneconomical to produce ships using these rare woods in reality (if I am wrong about this, I would love to see some information about the ships made from these rare woods). So adding these woods for use in crafting, in my opinion, does not fit in with the nature of this game.

In terms of adding uncharted area or opening up new areas, the map is very large as it is. It takes more than 3 hours to travel from one side to the other. While in the future I wouldn't mind them opening up more area, as it stands, I think the map is large enough for the current player population.

Check your information in regards to wood types there. Ironwood is not the hardest type of wood. That honor belongs to the quebracho, which takes 20000 N of force to break, compared to Brizilian Ironwood's 14,500 N of force.

As to your suggestion, while there were some rare woods used in ships, such as lignum vitae, the price of these woods makes it uneconomical to produce ships using these rare woods in reality (if I am wrong about this, I would love to see some information about the ships made from these rare woods). So adding these woods for use in crafting, in my opinion, does not fit in with the nature of this game.

In terms of adding uncharted area or opening up new areas, the map is very large as it is. It takes more than 3 hours to travel from one side to the other. While in the future I wouldn't mind them opening up more area, as it stands, I think the map is large enough for the current player population.

Just because the map is very large, it needs more things to do and that only be solved to implementing another kind of thing to do on it. I dont think it will be solved addind more PVP implements. The map always be large even after the release, cuz it is impossible populate it only with PVP roles.

Sorry but you wrong saying that "not fit the nature of this game". It is a kind of game that it fits perfectly. The true is: good part of players simple dont want it happens, cuz they seeing just half of problem in this game, but the fact (and none wants to see it) is that game with such large map, will not survive only with PVP, even if they put 50k players on it right now or at release.

Thanks for your information about woods (there is a threat about it, with such study info), but i just tried to give a sugestion about WHAT TO DO IN SUCH MAP. Could be anything, types of hemps, types of iron,...

Edited by wollef

• 3 weeks later...

While I am sure there are more specialized Works regarding specifics of shipbuilding in this era I got my hands on a 2nd hand Gardiner's Frigates of the napoleonic wars ( getting a brand new one proved quite impossible or pricey ) and there is an entire chapter regarding the economics of wood types especially during wartimes, which we simulate here. There are some compromises due to gameplay of course but still a lot of room for improvement. From quantities needed to produce a model to the variety of woods needed.