Game-Labs Forum

PVP2: Continuing Tales of France

Slamz

I think the continued back and forth of when port timers are open to attack, and how we can't hit them at certain times due to pop really show that Port, Flags, and RvR in general still have a lot to be desired. I trust the developers to hopefully bring us some changes soon.

In the meantime, if the Brits really want to put timers in the 14-16 slot all power to them, but remember the last time it happened we were able to power through with little to no British resistance.

The problem is a lot of timers were initially set to around the 14-16 slot by SOB or various other mostly Australian groups.

Those players are all but gone now, leaving us unable to reset timers, or at least change them to when the US players are online.

• Like 1

Good fight tonight. Was hoping to engage your whole fleet instead of just 5. Either way it was fun to mix it up from my normal single ship fights.

Yep, we had 3 more people but they got lost.

The fun thing is that was, I think, our 4th(?) fight just on the way from La Tortue to Ile-a-Vache. It started out as a simple "let's move some ships" mission and turned into PvP fights the whole way. Capped a 3rd rate, sunk a Cerberus, sunk another Cerb and a Trincom and then the fight with you where we lost the fleet but sunk a couple on the way down.

We have multiple fights like that literally every night.

I don't know why more people don't play like this. Does take some effort to find hotspots and get set up but it's a lot less effort than a server transfer.

Edited by Slamz

Aussies? Lol. I call BS on that. The timers have always been set at off-hours, you know it, I know, it, everyone knows it. We know why they were set like that, and it works too, for a little bit. Then people get up early one morning and attack it. But don't lie and say those timers weren't set specifically to avoid fighting. British clans (including some that are no longer on PVP2) specifically said they didn't want to fight mano-a-mano and instead game the system. They were ultimate trolls who ultimately got trolled by their own tactics. You see people like that in every game.

Edited by Renown
  • Like 1

Good fight tonight. Was hoping to engage your whole fleet instead of just 5. Either way it was fun to mix it up from my normal single ship fights.

Whole fleet? A couple didn't make into the fight but that is the whole fleet.

Purge will be on the open sea's every single night fighting as long as the Brits pop out to fight. Are you seeing any other French in your back yard other than Purge? Hell I don't even see other French anymore now that we have to travel across the world to find fights.

France is a PVP team not a PVT team so I suspect until the Brits decide they want to really duke it out France could care less about ports and will just continue to seek you guys out on the open sea's.

Works for me. I stopped caring about ports a while ago. Although I'm glad the US made attacks yesterday as it drew our big ships back to PR. The battle wouldn't have been as fun if we had an extra pavel and more 3rd rates. In all fairness, in Brit chat they reported "10+ French in 3rd rates", not "8 French with 1 3rd rate".

If your other ships had made it in, a 8v8 woulda been pretty even. Especially if the whole ship blowing uppy thing didn't happen.

I've set up camp in LaT but will likely be alone most of the fights.

In all fairness, in Brit chat they reported "10+ French in 3rd rates", not "8 French with 1 3rd rate".

If your other ships had made it in, a 8v8 woulda been pretty even. Especially if the whole ship blowing uppy thing didn't happen.

I've set up camp in LaT but will likely be alone most of the fights.

That will teach you to listen to Global or Nation chat! They are worse than Bigfoot stories.

If you guys are going to be in La T we will come out there regularly so we can have some fights. We find we sometimes have to go fishing to find Brits and when we get desperate we just camp Port Royal.

If you hear that French are in front of Royal then you know we couldn't find anyone to fight. Keep a ship down there so we can meet up and do some brawling. We loved that fight last night.

All we want are good fights, win or lose.

I think as we go through this alpha we are uncovering a number of things that are worth discussing and thinking about.

When France was defensively fighting on its door step the pvp was fast, furious and required very little organization. We little rally stepped out of port into pvp. The pirates had moved in and we're trying to live in the same ports so it was probabl the same for them.

Today we're stretched across the map. Britain is also stretched across the map. The result is we each often probably find ourselves sailing for 39-45 min to find pvp. Once there, if you happen to be in the wrong ship it's to late to change. Repairs are based off kits and not port repairs so time on station pvp is limited by repair kits. Though 27 kits does seem to be a good number. A further problem is that when you die you don't get to pick what port you reappear in. So if your stuff is in La Tortue but on death you reappear in Ile la Viche then you are still stuck and can't change anything. It also makes pvp in 1dura ships problematic. A death on the wrong side of a longitude or latitude line can end up taking you out of pvp for the rest of the night.

So one of the things I think we've learned is that it would probably be better if players could choose where they reappear on a death.

Edited by Bach

This is why I've been trying (in other threads) to push for ways to keep people positioned more on the front lines -- like maybe high level missions are worth more but they always send you within sight of the nearest enemy controlled port. That would mean that ideal mission territory is always the front line between your most front-line port (where you get the mission) and a nearby enemy port (where it sends you -- not far away since you were right next door). This would give people something to do there and hopefully start PvP fights.

The reality of the game now is that people fleet where fleeting is good (usually deep in home territory) and mission out of literally anywhere and there is no reason to appear at the front line unless it's port battle time and you have 25 ships. So people who want "normal PvP" have to look far and wide for it and then are no where near the frontline if a port battle actually starts up.

We really have to choose between "have fun" or "be ready for port battles". There are big aspects of this game right now that seem fundamentally broken. I just hope the devs see this too and are at least thinking about it.

This is why I've been trying (in other threads) to push for ways to keep people positioned more on the front lines -- like maybe high level missions are worth more but they always send you within sight of the nearest enemy controlled port. That would mean that ideal mission territory is always the front line between your most front-line port (where you get the mission) and a nearby enemy port (where it sends you -- not far away since you were right next door). This would give people something to do there and hopefully start PvP fights.

The reality of the game now is that people fleet where fleeting is good (usually deep in home territory) and mission out of literally anywhere and there is no reason to appear at the front line unless it's port battle time and you have 25 ships. So people who want "normal PvP" have to look far and wide for it and then are no where near the frontline if a port battle actually starts up.

We really have to choose between "have fun" or "be ready for port battles". There are big aspects of this game right now that seem fundamentally broken. I just hope the devs see this too and are at least thinking about it.

Good point. The last few nights we've been sailing to where the pvp is only to read "Britain has a conquest flag for x French port". That port is now an hour or more sail away and there is no way to even get to it. With the low population, since various French are stuck at sea the remaining few aren't enough for port defense so they don't attend. The end result is unintended PvT. I'm not sure how we would fix this. As long as the OS pvp isn't in the same area as the port conquest defending is impractical unless for those two hours you simply camp that port hoping it gets attacked. Further, that only works if you are a small nation. I can't imagine how Britain or the USA would hope to protect ports. I think they would be forced into just letting them fall as wel. Perhaps players need a teleport to port for defense button or something. I don't know. But without equally matched populations defending proportionally sized territories I don't see how port defense is all that likely.

• Like 1

The point is not that the Brits have created a new problem, but that they have still not learned anything, even after losing 80% of their players -- half to moving servers or changing teams and half to just plain quitting the game.

Why do you keep speaking of "the Brits" as if they are one monolithic group? I personally couldn't tell you the first thing about port timers...

Why do you keep speaking of "the Brits" as if they are one monolithic group? I personally couldn't tell you the first thing about port timers...

Generally because British territory is who we're butting up against, in general, so that means your nation (assuming that you are a Brit in the first place) is the one that the French, on the whole, are engaging on the regular.