Game-Labs Forum

Officers need to be Companions not just upgrade slots for your ship.

I think something that would increase the emotional attachment between the player and his ship is if the Officers were more than just upgrades to a ship.

Make them customizable

- Let the player change the name.

- Let the player change the portrait.

- Have a promotion system of some kind.

- Have them able to die.

Im ok with portraits and names for the officers, but ability to customize them is over the top. These things are important when there is interaction present - in game officers will be as interactive as your... well, I was going to say rudder, but the fact is, rudder is much more interactive. So I really don't see the need for it, nor the possibility of people emotionally attaching to a fancier version of grog rations.

• Like 1

Personally I like any personality like this that is easy to implement for the devs. Don't underestimate what a little character and customisation can do for peoples imaginations and attachment to their ship. The more you feel like you are actually living on the ship the better. It makes the long travel times more bearable.

• Like 2

Personally I like any personality like this that is easy to implement for the devs. Don't underestimate what a little character and customisation can do for peoples imaginations and attachment to their ship. The more you feel like you are actually living on the ship the better. It makes the long travel times more bearable.

Yeah I want to personalize my ship in every way possible and be proud of it.

Customizable officers? Yes bring it in! More customization is more freedom :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So, as I understand, officers are not yet implemented?

So - I wouldn't want to have to find a name for them. People usually come with names. Having them customizable would be nice. I'd suggest that they cover the ranks below the player starting with the lowest and gain one bit of "quality" each rank. Every now and then, when they participated in battle, used their skills and "levelled", the player may increase one of a few attributes.

ideas for officers attributes:

-boarding morale boost

-crew size bonus

-extra marines

-manouverabitly (turnrate)

-speed

-repair bonus

-trade / cash bonus

-rapid fire

-rapid reload

-improved repair / emergency (crew) capacity

basically everything an upgrade could do, except things like reinforcements to the rigging and hull, etc.