Game-Labs Forum

NPC reinforcements

This has to be one of the worst mechanics in the game.  The range is too far (for ports that are close, it guarantees that players never leave range).  If we tag a trader with a snow, he gets a snow.  If we tag with two Renonomees, he gets two of those.  Please consider reducing the range of reinforcements or reducing/randomizing their ship type and time they arrive.

• Like 2

How about you Simply Stop Tagging Smaller Ships in their own Waters and instead seek Fair Fights with Enemies of your own Size ???

Its already a Joke that a new Player is just Happy to have his First Brig and is Immediatly Faced with 2 Frigates because some Enemy Player Decided to Tag him in his Own Mission where he cannot even Receive Help from other Players.

You want to Scare Away New Players right off the Bat by constantly having them Raped even in their own Waters ?

You think Attacking a New Player in a Pickle with 2 Frigates is Fun or what ?

How about you Simply Stop Tagging Smaller Ships in their own Waters and instead seek Fair Fights with Enemies of your own Size ???

Its already a Joke that a new Player is just Happy to have his First Brig and is Immediatly Faced with 2 Frigates because some Enemy Player Decided to Tag him in his Own Mission where he cannot even Receive Help from other Players.

You want to Scare Away New Players right off the Bat by constantly having them Raped even in their own Waters ?

Nope its boring as! But if you play on PvP server you expect that.  Carebears can all go to the PvE server and we can stop trying to make everything easy mode for the new guys, we where all new once!

Actually raiding sea trade was the main purpose of frigates and smaller size ships. It was far more common to attack trade routes than sea battles against well armed ships. And once more this mechanics is making proper piracy/privateering a joke. It should be kept to create safehavens arround ports, but the range of reinforcements should be reduced and visible on map or indicated in the UI even for the opposing side. 

And btw. If you get cought in a basic cutter by frigate, you are doing something wrong. There is nearly no way for bigger ship to catch a well sailing 6th rate ship as they are always much faster upwind.  

Keeping the AI reinforcements as they are now is killing PVP opportunities and making a PVP game risk free, which is bad. Mastering OW is key to not being ganked and key to this game at all. I am newbie to solo PVP, but I managed to get some good kills only because I worked out an open world advantage. And I am even engaging bigger ships than I have, but catching traders is nearly impossible for me as there is always annoying ship of the same class. 

• Like 1

The reinforcement mechanic makes piracy nearly impossible.

A pickle should be able to tag a trader snow without having to fight off a AI brig.

Not to mention that any AI who happen to be sailing past the battle will also pile into the battle in addition to the reinforcements received from calling for help.

Tried raiding with a Niagara and 2 mercury (not an incredibly over-powered force). Tagged a trader snow off the coast of Florida and he got 2 navy brigs and Cerberus. Then any and all AI fleets sailing past just helped themselves into the battle, and suddenly our 3 ship raiding party is fighting 6-8 warships and the trader gets away.

Fortunately the reinforcement feature is being redone.

Honestly as a pirate I can tell you this, I myself when raiding close to the enemy new spawns do this: I join their battle, I then try and communicate to them and then I try and help them... I dont gank them if I get no reply I leave and move on.

Not everyone in the game goes around killing new players, I only do that if they attack me and I try and speak to them and help them learn mechanics after I beat them. :/

I agree on the fact that enemy players should not be able to join missions as its negitive to the games effect on PvP as friendly players can not join these which is rather stupid.

On another note I use a Pickle and Renommee for PvP, I kill players in frigates even in my pickle and yes I do use assistance sometimes but is say me attacking players in your own waters such a problem when you have the reinforcment button as of current?

Personally I think that it should but up to the playerbase to defend their own waters otherwise the PvP aspect of the game is pointless as everyone is just grinding PvE which isnt the point of a PvP server in the slightest. If players can't from groups and counter such threats then I dont thin kthe game is to blame personally I think it is its players for not being willing to tackle into PvP as such in home waters.

Much to be changed in future \o/  I wish things where more hardcore but I know thats not for everyone ^^

<3 From Salzi, First Commander of KotO, Lord of Frozen Cay and Cpt. of The Gherkin.

• Like 1

First of all, your point is invalid.

Second of all, most of the issues involve trade ships.

Nope its boring as! But if you play on PvP server you expect that.  Carebears can all go to the PvE server and we can stop trying to make everything easy mode for the new guys, we where all new once!

Check some PvP MMOs who think like that.

Oh wait. They are all Bankrupt because nobody Plays them....

Mate no Offense.

But PvP Server just means that Players vs Player Fights are Enabled.

It doesnt mean your allowed to Gank Noobs all Day.

PvE Server does not allow Combat even between Full Fledged Players.

And Reinforcements dont cut in between somewhat Fair Fights.

Actually raiding sea trade was the main purpose of frigates and smaller size ships. It was far more common to attack trade routes than sea battles against well armed ships. And once more this mechanics is making proper piracy/privateering a joke. It should be kept to create safehavens arround ports, but the range of reinforcements should be reduced and visible on map or indicated in the UI even for the opposing side. 

And btw. If you get cought in a basic cutter by frigate, you are doing something wrong. There is nearly no way for bigger ship to catch a well sailing 6th rate ship as they are always much faster upwind.  

Keeping the AI reinforcements as they are now is killing PVP opportunities and making a PVP game risk free, which is bad. Mastering OW is key to not being ganked and key to this game at all. I am newbie to solo PVP, but I managed to get some good kills only because I worked out an open world advantage. And I am even engaging bigger ships than I have, but catching traders is nearly impossible for me as there is always annoying ship of the same class. 

The only thing its Killing is the Ganking Opportunities.

In Reality Singled Out Ships would never Try to Attempt Raiding Trade Ships in Sight Range to an Enemy Port.

Because they would be Guaranteed to have an Fleet After them Instantly.

If you want to Raid Traders and other Stuff do it on Open Sea like your Supposed to.

And not around Enemy Ports

Its also nice how you guys always Blow the Reinforcements out of Propotion.

Last time I got Tagget by 2 Renomme Frigates in my Super Strong Privateer I got 1 Renomme as Reinforcement.

You guys Talk like the Enemy gets some Overpowering Force lol....

But he usually gets only some Ships to Equal your Numbers.

The reinforcement mechanic makes piracy nearly impossible.

A pickle should be able to tag a trader snow without having to fight off a AI brig.

Not to mention that any AI who happen to be sailing past the battle will also pile into the battle in addition to the reinforcements received from calling for help.

Tried raiding with a Niagara and 2 mercury (not an incredibly over-powered force). Tagged a trader snow off the coast of Florida and he got 2 navy brigs and Cerberus. Then any and all AI fleets sailing past just helped themselves into the battle, and suddenly our 3 ship raiding party is fighting 6-8 warships and the trader gets away.

Fortunately the reinforcement feature is being redone.

Welcome to the World.

You should not Pirate right in the Enemy Bases you know.

Piracy is done on Open Sea out of Sight Range for Enemy Ports and Patrols.

If your Camping the Port and then Attack an Trader right off the Coast of that Port where every 2 minutes 10 Enemy Ships are Sailing by to see it.

Then Sorry but thats your Fail as a Pirate.

If you want to Raid Enemy Trade Ships you do this at an Place of the Trade Route thats out of Sight Range.

Not right under the Enemies Militarys Nose.

First of all, your point is invalid.

Second of all, most of the issues involve trade ships.

First of all, you have no point at all lol

For you this Issue Involves Tradeships.

Unfortunately the Mechanic is not only for Trade Ships.

Its Protecting the New Players who just try to level up with Missions near the Port.

If you want to Tag Trade Ships simply do it outside their Reinforcement Range.

I know its annoying to wait further outside.

Its much easier to just Tag Enemy Traders right at the Port where you know a Trader will come by every 10 minutes.

But if your Tagging Traders right in the middle of an Controlled Enemy Zone your Bound to be Fighting the Military of that Nation.

• Like 2

Problem Sunleader is the world you are describing does not really exist in game when it comes to player traders. Take for instance the entire US coastline....the ports are all close enough that a trader can safely sail along it and always have reinforcement option. A enemy player could hide in the many coves or estuaries dotting the landscape and wait to ambush a player trader but then he is going to have to face reinforcements as well. Trying to take a player controlled trader snow in a cutter, yacht, lynx, or even privateer is a pretty tough prospect with a guaranteed reinforcement  being there. Expecting us to sit in the middle of the ocean waiting for a needle in a haystack player trader to come along isn't realistic.

In real life being even roughly 16 miles away from a port would make detection of a small ship virtually impossible. People bitch about Pirates being just another nation but its sure as hell not supporting a more realistic pirate game play style at all either. If a player is choosing to sail a small ship....any of the 7th rates...he should not be subject to ai reinforcements when he engages a player in a trader. Why should my yacht engage a trader snow and then he gets a cutter reinforcement as well? It's just dumb. The reinforcement zones are too big....too numerous....are being taken advantage of.....limit game play. 

• Like 1

Problem Sunleader is the world you are describing does not really exist in game when it comes to player traders. Take for instance the entire US coastline....the ports are all close enough that a trader can safely sail along it and always have reinforcement option. A enemy player could hide in the many coves or estuaries dotting the landscape and wait to ambush a player trader but then he is going to have to face reinforcements as well. Trying to take a player controlled trader snow in a cutter, yacht, lynx, or even privateer is a pretty tough prospect with a guaranteed reinforcement  being there. Expecting us to sit in the middle of the ocean waiting for a needle in a haystack player trader to come along isn't realistic.

In real life being even roughly 16 miles away from a port would make detection of a small ship virtually impossible. People bitch about Pirates being just another nation but its sure as hell not supporting a more realistic pirate game play style at all either. If a player is choosing to sail a small ship....any of the 7th rates...he should not be subject to ai reinforcements when he engages a player in a trader. Why should my yacht engage a trader snow and then he gets a cutter reinforcement as well? It's just dumb. The reinforcement zones are too big....too numerous....are being taken advantage of.....limit game play. 

LOL

Well for a Fact you ARE a Nation.

But to begin with.

Of course we can Expect you too do that.

No Offense. But of course for Short Ranges Traders can Hangle around the Coast of their own Controlled Cities.

But since there is Different Ressources around. And Nations dont have all Ressources within their Controlled Area.

There will always be Places where you can Avoid Reinforcements.

Invest some Tought.

Check which Ressources the Nation you wish to Target does not Have within their Controlled Area.

Then Check which Port closeby can Produce these Ressources.

And BAM you know just where to Look for Traders not Close to their Own Nations Ports.

As easy as that.

LOL

Well for a Fact you ARE a Nation.

But to begin with.

Of course we can Expect you too do that.

No Offense. But of course for Short Ranges Traders can Hangle around the Coast of their own Controlled Cities.

But since there is Different Ressources around. And Nations dont have all Ressources within their Controlled Area.

There will always be Places where you can Avoid Reinforcements.

Invest some Tought.

Check which Ressources the Nation you wish to Target does not Have within their Controlled Area.

Then Check which Port closeby can Produce these Ressources.

And BAM you know just where to Look for Traders not Close to their Own Nations Ports.

As easy as that.

The problem is that this isn't even anywhere close to realistic and nothing more than absolute garbage game mechanic. Most of the ports along the US coast are separated by roughly 100 miles....some a bit less and some a bit more....that distance would leave plenty of areas for ships to ambush trade vessels without the threat of an instant reinforcement showing up. You can essentially transport goods up and down the entire coast with virtually zero risk involved.  To be perfectly clear there are plenty of other places around the map that suffer from this same problem. 

I'd pose the question back to you....help enlighten me on how I'm suppose to check which resources the US players are short on along virtually the entire US coastline extending into Mexico and to what random port they are going to be transporting them to along what random route that will be outside of a reinforcement zone? Come on man be reasonable. This is a shortfall in the game mechanics let's be honest. 

Why do players have to get instant reinforcements at all? This is a player driven game and people complain ALL the time about needing to maintain realism as much as possible except we are ok with Harry Potter opening up a magic wormhole in the space time continuum to warp in reinforcements instantly? Just about the most absurd thing in this game currently. At the VERY minimum reinforcements should be on a timer and not just instantly appear out of nowhere.

If people want to play as traders on a PVP server than they should be willing to face the risks and rewards of their chosen profession. If they want to play risk free then go play on the PVE server simple as that.

Hunting  traders without AI reinforcements available is nearly impossible.

You can only sail in pair. One tags the trader in, the other one is waiting outside until the traders hits AI button. After that your buddy joins the battle with another ship and kills the single AI while the original attacker captures the trader.

Edited by Porpoise

The problem is that this isn't even anywhere close to realistic and nothing more than absolute garbage game mechanic. Most of the ports along the US coast are separated by roughly 100 miles....some a bit less and some a bit more....that distance would leave plenty of areas for ships to ambush trade vessels without the threat of an instant reinforcement showing up. You can essentially transport goods up and down the entire coast with virtually zero risk involved.  To be perfectly clear there are plenty of other places around the map that suffer from this same problem. 

I'd pose the question back to you....help enlighten me on how I'm suppose to check which resources the US players are short on along virtually the entire US coastline extending into Mexico and to what random port they are going to be transporting them to along what random route that will be outside of a reinforcement zone? Come on man be reasonable. This is a shortfall in the game mechanics let's be honest. 

Why do players have to get instant reinforcements at all? This is a player driven game and people complain ALL the time about needing to maintain realism as much as possible except we are ok with Harry Potter opening up a magic wormhole in the space time continuum to warp in reinforcements instantly? Just about the most absurd thing in this game currently. At the VERY minimum reinforcements should be on a timer and not just instantly appear out of nowhere.

If people want to play as traders on a PVP server than they should be willing to face the risks and rewards of their chosen profession. If they want to play risk free then go play on the PVE server simple as that.

Mate under Realism Aspect.

It is not Realistic that an Pirate would have anything beyond the Cutter or Lynx.

The only Pirate ever reaching an Frigate was the Admiral of Pirates which was not actually Pirate but an Privateer at this time.

We can surely go for Realism.

So Pirates cannot have anything beyond 6th Rate Ships.

Then we also dont need Reinforcements to be Available everywhere.

Also in Reality Trading Ships would either be Heavily Armed or would get Escorted.

No Mate.

The Mechanic is an Newbe Protection which Works Perfectly Fine.

The Sort of Raiding your Talking about Happened in Reality.

It was Carried out by Cutters by the Way. As the most Pirates where Fisherman and only had small Boats.

Dont go Demanding that you can do this sort of Raiding with Frigates and then even Complain if the Enemy gets some Frigates as well.

Well apparently we are Fine with Pirates being a Big Nation that Rivals other Major Nations in the Carribean and we are also Fine with Pirates having Shipyards and even Ships of the Line.

Needless to say we are fine with anyone above lowest Ranks no longer being allowed to have Escort Fleets around.

We can make it so that Traders can simply Hire 2-3 Frigate Class Ships as Escorts to Drive around them with a Fleet.

I am fine with that as well.

Big Tradeships were usually pretty much Safe from Pirate Raids because the Pirates only had stuff like Cutters and the Tradeships were usually Heavily Armed. Thus Pirates did not dare Attacking them.

Even Privateers (Pirates working for a certain Country) only used Brigs and other 6th Rate Ships.

Well do the same thing that Pirates had to do in Reality as well.

The same thing Traders are also doing Ingame.

Take an Ship with which your not worth Attacking and which with you can Travel without arousing suspicions.

Dock at the Harbor and Gather Intel to see what the Port Sells and Buys. 

Even I do this with an Basic Cutter and I am not even a Trader.

Pirates did this in Reality as well to see where they could Strike Ships and Rob them.

You demand Realism.

You demand that Trader are forced by Realism to become Helpless Targets.

But you dont care at all that your posing an absolutely Surreal Threat to these Traders.

You also dont want to give it any of the Work it was in Reality to Raid a Ship.

Try Raiding some Traders with nothing but Cutters like Real Pirates Did.

Lets see how much Reinforcements he gets then :P

• 2 months later...

Well.

Reinforcement Ranges were Reduced.

I hope you are Happy that you reached your Target.

This is what Steam Charts say to this Development.

Month Avg. Players Gain % Gain Peak Players

Last 30 Days 1,071.7 -287.4 -21.15% 2,348

April 2016 1,359.1 -312.6 -18.70% 2,794

March 2016 1,671.7 -759.4 -31.24% 3,159

February 2016 2,431.1 +273.9 +12.70% 4,842

Since February the Game has Lost way more than Half of its Playerbase on Steam.

I Congratulate you to your Success in moving more towards Newbe Bashing and Ganking thus Effectively Creating an Situation in which New Players are almost Guaranteed to Drop this Game.

The Haphazard Attempt to Fix the Problem by creating an Mini Protection Zone around the Capital which is not even reaching as far as the Newbe Missions has Failed Hilariously as well. 

I Suggest to Fix the Situation very Fast.

And Limit the PvP and Especially the Newbe Bashing and the Ganking ASAP.

Otherwise this Game will end like all other Unrestricted PvP Games and will slowly but Surely be Reduced to an Insanely Small Community of People who only care about PvP.

Prohibit Attacking Players below 1st Lieutenant Rank. (Or Equivalent of other Nations)

Increase Reinforcement Range to Old Values again where they Encompass most of the Mission Areas of that Port.

Remove Rewards from Battles in which the Ratio of Fleet Power is 2 to 1 or Higher.

Change the System so Players cannot be Dragged into Battles of others by Force and cannot Join Battles if their Fleet Power would Move the Ratio to 2 to 1 or Higher.

Removing Restriction from PvP has never even once gone well in the Past.

Players dont make Rules for themselves. If there is no Rules in the Game there will always be Tons of Players who will abuse that.

In this Case It leads to most PvP being Ganking of 6 vs 1 or Heavy Frigates Attacking Brigs and Cutters....

This is not only Scaring away New Players and Frustrating the PvE Oriented Players.

Its also slowly but surely Reducing the PvP Playerbase which wants to Play actual Battles and gets Frustrated that Driving around with a Group of 3-6 Ships they only end up Ganking or end up being Ganked because when a Group Finally Faces them its 20 vs 6....

Edited by Sunleader