Game-Labs Forum

[BATTLE] Maximum size increased to 500 ships total

The limit on ships in the battle is several things, balance is one but you got two big issues which is software and hardware.

I will link you a video where the only ship we had in the battles were SoLs 

After a short while when most ships were close and everybody had fired their guns (well most of us) the commands got delayes. I could for example order the left side to be fired, after 20-30 seconds they fired the first guns.

Edit: Added so the video started at start instead of 47 minutes.

Edited by Tomms123

My gpu in a very large battle can stall down to 30 fps no problem, that is 50 ships, now this is one of the most powerfull cards on the market in terms of pure compute, now if we do 500 ships i would be struggeling, now imagine people with worse cards than that... stand no chance.

edit: to be clear, it is a r9 nano overclocked to 1040 MHz, that would put it at almost the performance of a r9 fury x which is in terms of compute has the highest compute power of any card right now.

• Like 1

The reason I said 500 is that's the total number online. I doubt its possible with the current population

well EU1 often hits the max player cap, 500 people in one battle would be easily done if arranged by a special event or something, a normal open world battle could easily be 200(which would still kill player performance, possibly server as well)

Besides all the mechanical issues it might cause.

it will be a real advantage for the bigger nations. They can fill the battles more realiable with more numbers than smaller nations.

This might sound fun but is not realistic

• Like 1

500 is a high number, but 50, is not very large either. If a large battle, is tops 50 players, its not very large.

I agree that 50 is not a large number, however there are very important technical limitations, even a top end rig from today wont be able to handle 100 ships of the line chugging it out, the servers are also an issue, they would also start to crumble at large numbers, and now if you try 500 it would just crumble to bits.

500 is a high number, but 50, is not very large either. If a large battle, is tops 50 players, its not very large.

Trafalgar was only 60 ships, 27ships of the line on the British side and 33 on the Franco/Spanish.  In that kind of battle, the frigates and anything smaller was used for signals.