Game-Labs Forum

The town square gathering

Baron Quertier

Danish occupation zone, Terre de bas.

A students letter home to his sister intercepted by Danish authorities.

Mr dearest sister,

I am determined to write to you regarding a most peculiar event that happened in the old market square yesterday evening. I was walking along the cliff path, you know the one we walked on your last visit to the island. I was thinking about how the Danish garrison grows daily and must soon outnumber the people in town.

As I rounded the point to take the walk back into town, there hiding in the deep bay right up under the cliffs was a warship. I nearly stumbled over my own feet in surprise. On closer inspection I realised that she had no national flag flying, surely she was Danish but why was she so well concealed. I could see her stern (her rear end dear sister) and just make out the name, 'Thunder Child' I think it said. I have seen the corvette thunder child in port several times in the past but she couldn't really be here, the Danes had the island bolted up under their heel.

I continued walking into town dreading my realisation that Thunder Child must surely be a prize of some rotten Viking privateer. As I turned the corner to the old market square I saw a large bustling crowd. My first thoughts were that food shipments had started to arrive again and the old stalls were reopening, then I noticed the men, dressed in cloaks walking amongst the crowd distributing the red armbands and leaflets and the crowd was growing more and more excited.

A man in a long navy style foul weather coat with his sword visible stood up on an old cart and began shouting to the crowd whilst waving a handful of leaflets around in the air. He cried out against the occupation and easy capitulation of the our military. He told us to be patient, liberation would come, the revolution was happening. He said it would come from the warships of the French navy, with or without the orders from the men at the top. He then waved his arm and the leaflets were thrown amongst the crowd. He then started shouting 'VIVE LA FRANCE' and the chant was taking up by the crowd, I even found myself shouting it.

The excitement came to a swift end as a cavalry trumpet blew and a squadron of Danish horsemen appeared at one end of the square, swords drawn. Surprisingly the crowd continued chanting whilst slowly drifting away. I turned and the man from the stage was gone, as were the men in cloaks.

What excitement, I'm now sitting at my desk, still wearing my red armband.

I enclose a copy of the leaflet, I had to write it out for you because the original got soaked.

VIVE LA FRANCE, VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION!

People of France, Brothers and Sisters

The revolution has begun. We are not to be slaves or puppets to the marauding Vikings or their Dutch lackeys. We are not be dictated to by men who would bow to their wishes in exchange for land. Our once glorious leaders have a knife at their throat, Fight now before that knife can be plunged deep and twisted at any moment. Our enemies feel they can overwhelm and subdue our free fighting spirit by taking our territory and resources, they are mistaken.

SUPPORT LES ABAISSÉ [ABC] AND FIGHT FOR FRANCE

Every man will have his say on the policies that govern us.

If you wish not to fight then trade with us. Sell us your wares we will provide you a profit.

WILL YOU JOIN IN OUR CRUSADE?

WHO WILL STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR FRANCE?

WE FIGHT!

I later ran back to the cliff point, and there out at sea was the thunder child under a beautiful spread of sail heading away towards the north, suddenly a double puff of smoke appeared at her stern followed a second later by a pair of gun reports, coming round the coast were a pair of Danish Brigs. Thunder child was too far ahead for the, to catch her and sailing before the wind. I noticed the large red flag sailing above the tricolour before they vanished in the gun smoke that followed the ship out towards the distant horizon.

Your ever loving brother.

Edited by Morey
  • Like 9

I heard from a local who fled the scene and boarded thunder child in the rush that what decided the matter in the square was a battery of guns arriving and, one fire a small charge blank. But then the gun crews were very visible in loading the white bags carrying the grape that would slaughter the crowd of they didn't disperse. Damn their eyes.

Edited by Morey

Enjoyed reading the story, very entertaining. 

Stepping slightly aside from the RP briefly, I would like to plead you to think differently on behalf of the Dutch Antilles Squadron [DAS]

The game mechanics are flawed in the sense of us having the capability of reducing another nation to economic instability.  In the interests of restoring this, the Dutch + Danes + Swedes + French have agreed a non aggression pact, allowing for some open world PvP.  EVERY nation without fail wants to unite, to hear the opinion of each man, and for that man's voice to be heard.  We do not have any sort of mechanic that allows this to happen as of yet, so the most efficient way we've found of dicussing politics is through the national guild council. 

I appreciate that many will feel aggreived they had no say in the matter, but I would ask you, no, implore you to resist the urge of rebelling the wish of a few big guilds, but instead make effort to get in contact with them, and help unite your nation. 

If you wish to, as a Nation, end the treaty as you believe that to be your best option, then we will be happy to accept your declaration of war and engage you once more.  We just ask that you unite as a Nation, and decide as a nation instead of a small rogue group of players.

Kind Regards

Monkeybullet

Edited by Monkey Bullet
  • Like 5

Don't worry monkey bullet, our tiny group of 'rogue players' have picked the Danes as our main target, you aren't completely safe but have less to fear

I jest of course. I myself completely get where you and every one who made the peace treaty are coming from, I understand it as a player.

However as an in character captain I can not abide to it. No sir. Stand to yours guns I say.

• Like 2

My good Monsieur Bullet, sadly some of us did speak our minds about this situation, and the vitriol and personal attacks received sent a very clear message: toe the line or find a new home. To be frank I would've been fine with keeping this peace, at least with the Dutch side, and used the two weeks of ceasefire to mess about with my various ships while I continued to enjoy RPing as an agitator. This was unacceptable to some, however, and the non-stop rhetoric on these forums lately demonstrates quite clearly how open people are to opposing ideas. Frankly the whole thing has been disgraceful.

I've made my arguments for why I believe things should be allowed to evolve how they will from a testing perspective, and I won't go into that again. From a purely gaming perspective, the most common argument I see is "you're ruining the fun for other people." To that I ask, why is my enjoyment of the game less important than someone else's? Did my copy of this game cost less money than theirs? Why should I forgo playing how I wish (to engage at will in PvP on a PvP server) because someone else wants to keep a quiet area for crafting and PvE, safe from other players? It's been clearly proven that a nation does not require a chain of safe ports to be playable, and that it's possible to take them back despite population disparities. " implore you to resist the urge of rebelling the wish of a few big guilds..." the sooner people accept that guilds speak only for themselves, the better off every player will be.

For now I shall continue to enjoy myself as I take the battle to the Danes in whatever capacity I may, and in the process continue to help, in my small way, to test and refine this wonderful game. Adieu, Capitaine; bonne chance!

Edit: Apologies to Morey for continuing to engage in non-RP discussion in his enjoyable thread.

Edited by Francis Tabernac
  • Like 2

Speaking of self-righteousness and rhetoric, glad to see the echo chamber's still treating you well, Gal! :lol:

I would RP ON or OFF, but honestly, I don't know which one should it be right now

Yes, that's been established :)

Edited by Francis Tabernac
  • Like 1

The third day of March, Year of Our Saviour Two thousand and Sixteen

aboard Free Macareo Third

southern reach of San Domingo

Komandeur Kapitan Hethwill Eskeath

After all the effort and battles we went through the two contacts were made both North and South reaches of San Domingo.

La Tortue was a very displeasing location which, to my suprise, was full of captains hailing from the Swedish Nation navy. I must say that their manners at the taverns we visited, and even on the streets, would strike disgust even in the most unwashed bucaneer. "They are drunk ! " - one Sally Brown tells me with a disgusted wry look. We did reply that probably the entire port would be drunk at all times in Tortue, but she rebuked my observation with a firm - "No, not drunk. DRUNK. That's what they call themselves. They do not show any pride. They do not pay. They simply like to boast how they will become heroes and become lords of their own ports..." - she ended with a chuckle.

I took note of this encounter given the strangeness of it, after all the captains I met at the city commerce hall were happy to see trade open again into the Swede colonies again, despite the radicals always looking for an opportunity to attack them and blame it on the Danes.

We therefore returned to île-a-Vache and continue the work on our newest outpost. The dock lanes are fairly finished and the warehouse space contract is already in effect. The captain of the port, a old sea dog called Gregorio Pontes, confided that recently two ships passed through carrying a strange cargo.

(( I was doubtful of this man stories but he did fight both Spain and the Great Britain in the Wars of Succession so I gave him credit... ))

Two brigs with blanked names and no colours did have orders for shipments of muskets, pistols and red cloth... "A very odd cargo I must add." - Gregorio pointed out - "We seldom deal in weapons and surely not in muskets. Most of our trade relates to sugar and wet woods with the odd cargo of silver and gold God knows where it came from..." - and he added with fearful enthusiasm - " both captains spoke perfect English with strong cornwalish accent ! "

I again record this moment for it might become useful in the future if we come across these two ships. Wherever they went they will surely be retuning.

We went for a shakedown run in the new waters, a reconnaissance run along the coast to the East and came across two merchant prizes, both flying Great Britain and private trader colours. It yielded good cargo on sugar products and a variety of woods. This will make Gregorio happy. His prices are very pleasant and with British naval bases nearby the crew is more than willing to stay around and attack their trade lanes.

• Like 3

You have the support of the Sverige resistance. Better to exist harshly on ones' feet than comfortably on ones' knees. We will never abandon our brothers to the south in exchange for reprieve from the Viking hordes.

Vive la France. Vive la Resistance.

Le mot est le mot de l'épée.

Notre chemin est le juste.
Edited by Sea Nettle
  • Like 1