Game-Labs Forum

Mercury or Save my gold?

I captured a Navy Brig and tested it out.  Didn't care for it, its extra armor wasn't enough to offset its lack of maneuverability.  My tactic is more about using my maneuverability, rather than being able to absorb more damage. Not saying the Navy Brig is a bad ship, it just doesn't suit my playstyle.

Next I'll test out a mercury.

The tip about extra cannons in hold is pure gold, I never thought of that, its a great idea tho.

Edited by GenTroy
  • Like 1

Generally I advise players to try every ship, learn how they sail and what they can fit but it really depends on how much money you've got. If you're playing with a group usually and money is tight then you can easily get by with the snow until you get the Cerb.

I'd totally agree with that.

All in all money is not that short in my experience. there's really no point in sailing a basic cutter until Rear Admiral to save your precious gold. You'll just miss a great part of the game and never sail many lovely, beautifully modeled ships. Just my five cents.

Some players really have a "don't waste your money on ships, get the basic cutter it's repair fee is FREE!!!!!11" attitude that seems a bit grotesque considering the fact that you'll get 5k mission reward alone, without some litttle trading runs and damage reward. A basic pickle is like 20K. Basic Mercury should be roughly the double. Really no waste to buy one of those for testing purposes, see if you like the ship. If yes, go buy a decent player crafted one.

Ther's a solid variety in 7th-6th rate ships for a reason. Don't miss all these ships just out of beeing a try-hard Scrooge McDuck.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

The Mercury is a nice ship. Turns on a dime, low to the water, 12 cannons per side. I like it.

Better to get medium or long cannons. I tried carronades and that proved virtually useless in fleet battles.

Long for pen. and acc.  in pvp  Carronades for PVE imo.

Where is this notion coming from that undercrewing will be less severe with the next patch?

i think we will see different tactics now with the crew update for example  3rd rate that don't move but shoot just as fast as they would fully crewed....

I really liked the mercury, you can pretend you are in a tiny trinc too. Also as long as you are careful, buying a ship only costs you the difference and resell cost so you can get away with buying a ship for 175k and selling it for 200k if you are lucky, meaning the total cost of owning the ship is somewhere about 5k once you consider buying cannons.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

I'm sure the OP has already made his mind up but for others who might be reading this wondering the same thing.

I put a captured merc to good use yesterday in a small battle against two players, basic cutter and pickle. Yeah I know, not much of an opposition, but I was really impressed with how this ship turned when using manual sails. I was all over those little blighters.

I am told however by one of my clannies that she's very susceptible to grape shot.

I still think the snow is a better 'all rounder', but as many have said, if you have a snow, use it to cap a merc and give it a test drive.

I'm sure the OP has already made his mind up but for others who might be reading this wondering the same thing.

I put a captured merc to good use yesterday in a small battle against two players, basic cutter and pickle. Yeah I know, not much of an opposition, but I was really impressed with how this ship turned when using manual sails. I was all over those little blighters.

I am told however by one of my clannies that she's very susceptible to grape shot.

I still think the snow is a better 'all rounder', but as many have said, if you have a snow, use it to cap a merc and give it a test drive.

she has the very open deck for grape....