Game-Labs Forum

I think admin/devs owe a lot of people an answer, put this issue to rest.

Thats what the Early access is for. to find how things work in reality (not on paper) and to fix.

People turn to pirates because they want to win. Surprisingly the fact that pirates can attack each other makes them more united and more organized - we did not expect that. 

How can you even make conclusions of pirate unity when pirate vs pirate roe is broken for months already, making larger than 1v1 pirate vs pirate encounters impossible in game because all reinforcements, enemy or friendly can only join on the defender side?

• Like 3

How can you even make conclusions of pirate unity when pirate vs pirate roe is broken for months already, making larger than 1v1 pirate vs pirate encounters impossible in game because all reinforcements, enemy or friendly can only join on the defender side?

Even if that were fixed, how could you really have disunity when the faction co-owns national resources? One pirate gang cannot kick another out of a port and take it over, so it is simply stupid for pirates to not cooperate. Pirates didn't chose unity; it was given to them.

• Like 1

Also, how can you have disunity when the faction co-owns national resources? One pirate gang cannot kick another out of a port and take it over or gain anything by defeating other pirates (other than ego effects), so it is simply stupid for pirates to not cooperate.

but you can; you can blockade the port and attack known members of that clan; 

Also while the pirate join battle is not fully functional you can still exploit it by joining the battle and using your ships to pin, harrass, capsize or even force the defender to shoot you and loose exp

Thats what the Early access is for. to find how things work in reality (not on paper) and to fix.

People turn to pirates because they want to win. Surprisingly the fact that pirates can attack each other makes them more united and more organized - we did not expect that. 

You didn't expect that when the game mechanics allow and treat Pirates to play exactly like Nationals, that they would play exactly like Nationals?

Having the ability to attack your friends and farm damage and then politely go separate ways seems like the best way to level your rank fastest, no?  So, if Pirates are able to level faster (and faster because they don't have to sail aimlessly searching for an enemy nation) then other things should make their gameplay experience more difficult, yes?  Otherwise, you've imbalanced the nations.

You previously told us this wouldn't be another Pirate Game and that Pirates were supposed to be "Very Hard".  They are currently the easiest faction.  So, are you changing your stance?  Are Pirates Hard Mode or Easy Mode?

If you intend for them to be the easiest nation to play, then keep it as is.  :)

• Like 2

Not just US, but Spanish and Swedish. People are turning pirate all the time, and large amounts.

If you want the game to survive, you must want there to be stuff in place to make sure that it doesn't, over time, turn into 60% or more pirate vs 40% or less nations.

Or, keep your current attitude, and prove that you don't have the best interest at heart for the game.

I've argued for balanced pirate gameplay, that for every disadvantage they need an advantage, or either be the same as a nation. Many people have argued for that, but all you see are attacks on your style of play. Just like I've argued in defense of many styles not my own. I am here for the long haul, not the short term. And I'll even concede on the point of the game needs to be less grindy if it means the survival of the game.

You must be on pvp 1 cyz on pvp2 the pirates are a dead faction.

Even if that were fixed, how could you really have disunity when the faction co-owns national resources? One pirate gang cannot kick another out of a port and take it over, so it is simply stupid for pirates to not cooperate. Pirates didn't chose unity; it was given to them.

Personally I wouldn't even care about pixel politics and sharing the same ports and resource pools with other pirates since the only reason I would go pirate would be to have maximum amount of pvp targets but due to broken roe you can't even do that now without gambling a counter-gank by other rats from hundreds of km's away due to forced unity :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Pirates schmirates. Want a real challenge? Go play Sweden on PVP 1... Playing Pirates is easy mode. So funny it says "Hard" on them. Almost laugh so hard I tear a muscle each time I think about it. Need to change that one at least Devs. ;)

After reading admins in detail response, it seems that the will be catering to the lowest common denominator.

In my mind that is very unfortunate news, but I'm sure it makes the long beards, mrdoomed's and their friends very happy.

After reading admins in detail response, it seems that the will be catering to the lowest common denominator.

In my mind that is very unfortunate news, but I'm sure it makes the long beards, mrdoomed's and their friends very happy.

Like the admin told you. If you want to play a pirate a certain way then leave your big cushy national faction and come join a pirate faction and play him that way ! Boom mic drop !

Oh but you wont do that you would much rather cry all day and night. Come on to pvp2 and join pirates. I dare you !

Nope you wont you and others who play nationals want a change in a faction you dont even play lol. You kill me.

Again i dare you to come to pvp2 and roll pirate. I play exactly like a 1800s rat so come on and stop complaining about a faction you will never play.

Oh and YES the admin makes me happy since he said everything justme wants is in the game already and justme refused to use the tools given to him.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 1

Admin's already been all over the map on this. We'll see where it eventually lands. Edited by GrapeShot

You didn't expect that when the game mechanics allow and treat Pirates to play exactly like Nationals, that they would play exactly like Nationals?

Having the ability to attack your friends and farm damage and then politely go separate ways seems like the best way to level your rank fastest, no?  So, if Pirates are able to level faster (and faster because they don't have to sail aimlessly searching for an enemy nation) then other things should make their gameplay experience more difficult, yes?  Otherwise, you've imbalanced the nations.

How many reports have you filed? If none get out of this thread with your empty accusations. 

Top players by XP are danes, usa and brits. Pirates are nowhere near. 

• Like 4

A lot of people are talking about how the pirates plays when they clearly have not played the faction. Maybe the real question you should be asking is... what can we (the other nations) learn from the pirates to improve our own internal relations and become a stronger national team. Stop asking for things to be engineered for you and start planning better and developing a stronger esprit de corps.

• Like 2

We have said in the beginning of the post. National ROE mechanics were created as a starting point when OW was launched and might change further (initially there were in a much rougher state). Community decided that crew/officers and buildings are top 3 things we must do first this year.

I shared my thoughts on why what is happening is happening. I was direct and honest about what is working and not working and you still continue attacking me. This is my last warning to Raatha, you and Grapeshot. One more twist of my statements and three of you will be gone from here. Not because you dont like something. But because of the way you phrase your statements.

• Like 1

Human nature will always be surprising!

21st Century human nature is vastly different from 17th century human nature yet some folks here expect pirate players to play like 14th century pirates.

Anyway folks, the gods have spoken, why are you still debating this.

Want pirates to be something different? Get out of your ports, into your ships and come deliver upon us your wrath. Drive us back, break us apart, set us upon each other. Lets just hope for your sake that thou are as organised as we are..

YARRR!

• Like 2

I think at some point you should consider a concept of allowable "green on green" damage, perhaps similar to how Planetside (1&2) does it:

You are automatically punished by the system for damaging friendlies, but it is not against the rules, and the punishment really only kicks in if you do it a lot. Too much of it will degrade your ability to play the game and eventually lock you out of it (in Naval Action this might be represented by being unable to fully crew your ship -- nobody wants to work for a traitor!) but if you really need to kill a teammate once in a while, you can.

Everyone seems to assume this leads to endless griefing but as you've noticed (and as I think Planetside proves), it actually leads to better gameplay. Rather than hordes of trolls ruining the game, it turns out most gamers use it to ruin the few real trolls.

Think of all the "he stole my ship!" reports you could get rid of if players were simply allowed to fire on teammates. The people who do it habitually will have problems but if you need to do it once in a while, you can.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 2

This admin guy is great and quick in getting responses to us. Regardless of how the game goes i want to thank what has been the most open team of devs ive ever seen.

Keep uo the good work.

Heh, just came back to post something similar.

Many thanks to the Admin for stepping in and turning off the gas. This was an issue that was really starting to frustrate me. Let's hope it's put to bed for now.

This admin guy is great and quick in getting responses to us. Regardless of how the game goes i want to thank what has been the most open team of devs ive ever seen.

Keep uo the good work.

He really made great points..Pirates are out playing some nations in the nation game..and I like that many people on here have a perception of pirates that really came from Treasure Island. Since many of the words and iconic symbols came from this book and where invented by the author.

In summary

Players proposing "I was hoping pirates were interesting" should offer things that will make pirates interesting. 

I think pirates should be more of a "clan war" type of faction, and perhaps this will play out better once more of the economy, port and diplomacy functions are in the game.

Dutch makes official war or peace with Swedes using in-game diplomacy tools (coming soon!).

Pirates would use these tools to make war or peace with each other, clan vs clan.

Dutch capture a port for all Dutch and allow their Swedish allies to use it.

Pirate clan [HATEU] captures the port only for [HATEU]. They can allow their pirate allies to use it but deny it to their pirate enemies (whitelist / blacklist?)

I think this could get very interesting.

It might have really changed the way the pirates worked on PVP2.

Originally [CF] wanted to claim a few ports for some PvP for themselves. But they couldn't really stop the whole pirate nation from coming over and sharing those ports and flooding the area. I guess they could have openly attacked them but it would be a little less aggressive if they could just say "no you can't use our ports" and deny them to the rest of the pirate team, thus maintaining a small area for just themselves.

If any other pirate guilds really didn't like this, they could declare war and take and take the [CF] ports to claim it for their own guild and their own allies.

Every large nation seems to have something of an internal "cold war" between clans that disagree with each other but in the pirates, it could be an actual war, supported by port ownership and diplomacy mechanics.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 2

We have said in the beginning of the post. National ROE mechanics were created as a starting point when OW was launched and might change further (initially there were in a much rougher state). Community decided that crew/officers and buildings are top 3 things we must do first this year.

I shared my thoughts on why what is happening is happening. I was direct and honest about what is working and not working and you still continue attacking me. This is my last warning to Raatha, you and Grapeshot. One more twist of my statements and three of you will be gone from here. Not because you dont like something. But because of the way you phrase your statements.

While I appreciate your detailed response, it is obvious the direction you intend to take the pirate issue. Although I am lost on the final warning seeing I have yet to receive a first.( barring this of course)

If you can't handle being called out on your various contradictions on the issue then ban me, I'm sure you will just for this post. But such is the price for not marching in goose step with the leadership.

Keep in mind unless you edit all your post, the contradictions will always be visible and no amount of bans can change that.

Been fun guys, I'm sure I'm gone after this. Remember don't dare to have an opposing opinion.

While I appreciate your detailed response, it is obvious the direction you intend to take the pirate issue. Although I am lost on the final warning seeing I have yet to receive a first.( barring this of course)

If you can't handle being called out on your various contradictions on the issue then ban me, I'm sure you will just for this post. But such is the price for not marching in goose step with the leadership.

Keep in mind unless you edit all your post, the contradictions will always be visible and no amount of bans can change that.

Been fun guys, I'm sure I'm gone after this. Remember don't dare to have an opposing opinion.

Wow calling him a nazi for not giving in to you ? Wow i always knew you were nkt a kind or rational person by your many many outburst at anyone who doesnt follow your lead but wow a nazi ? Really ? Guess your name says it all about you.

Hope you get what you deserve.

• Like 1

yes please leave - you obviously dont understand what forum means and that other opinions to the pirate issue exist. 

you ignored the statement that we said we are not going to focus on pirate mechanics and national roe for quite some time because it is a community decision to focus on other things (buildings, crew/officers etc).

But you are warned not for opposite opinions (which are plenty on this forum) but for they way you talk to us. We are not calling your opinion catering to lowest common denominator - it was you who called ours this way. Insulting us is not welcome here because we did not insult you.

Don't come back. I don't want you here.

Grapeshot also can go.

• Like 11

Thanks for the response Admin.  Good to see where you guys are coming from.  Far more sandbox, far less historical accuracy.

Players proposing "I was hoping pirates were interesting" should offer things that will make pirates interesting. 

When you get to it in due course...

Since pirates are already forming up into multiple different groups, how about recognizing this?

Recognition of a "Clan or Guild" as a distinct pirate "Nation" which would.

Allow them to capture ports as a clan, and either allow or block other pirate groups from docking and participating in defense of the port.

Allow them to select a new "Capital" once they captured a port.  This port would still be subject to capture, so the advantage would be that "teleport to capital" would send them their with their boat.

If the capital was open other pirates, allow them to also change their capital base to that port.

That way if your guild wants autonomy, join as a pirate and try to take over the world.  In fighting, co-operation etc all become a recognized meta in the giant Sandbox.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken
  • Like 1