Game-Labs Forum

Does crafting a ship with planking gives a speed debuff?

in my experience it differentiates the drop of the extra buff you get with the ship, ie you get speed a lot more frequently with rigging than build strength and planking but it's not an absolute effect just seemingly a chance modifier. This may be just be me and what I have built though.

• Like 1

Where do you get that from?

There was some discussion about it earlier on the forums, but I can't find it now. And experience.

Grey trims do nothing, or do negative effect. Higher quality trims would show the difference.

Planking is different from extra planking

The trim doesn't include a speed debuff, none of the trim include a debuff. It's very different from extra planking. Planking doesn't change the structure hp of the ship, it reduce chances of leaking (leak resistance).

Extra planking, the permanent upgrade, also give leak resistance, but it increase structure hp too. And it has a speed debuff.

BTW, all trims and built ins have a negative value when grey. They don't work the same as upgrades, that only give minimal bonus when grey. A grey trim or built in is actually a debuff. It's easy to check with build strength, speed, and crew space.