Game-Labs Forum

Vote: Best Historic Battle of this Era

Lyric

Hello!

Recently I've been reading up on a large amount of historical engagements, some of which turned the tides of war. The battle of the Nile, The battle of translation, the battle of Copenhagen etc.

I figured it would be fun to get a list of battles submitted by fellow captains and compile them into a poll.

Essentially you need to submit your favourite battle with the reason why it is your favourite and historically important. Also include an MVP if you wish , and a wiki link to the battle would also be lovely!

I'll start!

Submission by Monkey bullet: British

I WAS going to choose the Battle of Copenhagen but I've decided to go with The Battle of Toulon.

In this fight a combined Franco Spanish fleet fought off a much superior British force temporarily ending the British blockade and allowing Spain to deliver troops and supplies to their army in Italy.

This French side actually only joined the conflict when they saw the British floundering under Spanish guns. Shortly after France declared war on Britain.

I rather enjoyed this bit of history as, despite being a big British patriot, it reminds us even the mighty can fall, and it is easy to forget such losses neath the shield of victories achieved by other famous British Admirals

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Toulon_(1744)

Edited by Monkey Bullet

The Four Day's Battle

Dutch Victory

MVP; Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Days'_Battle

The battle took place during the Second Anglo-Dutch war. The significance of this battles lies in the fact that it was the first major engagement after the dutch defeat at Lowesoft, yet the fleet was not broken.

The battle was a major turning point in a war, which was deemed already won, which would later end in a overall Dutch victory.

Till this very day it remains one of the longest lasting naval battles in history.

• Like 1

The Action of 6 May, 1801

Hands down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_6_May_1801

The enormous disparity of strength resulting in such an incredible disparity of casualties; Spanish losses exceeded the entire compliment of Cochrane's crew. 14 killed and 41 wounded of a crew of 319 men defeated by a crew of 54, with 3 killed and 9 wounded.

The added insult: when the Spanish second in command asks for a letter stating he did not surrender immediately, but was defeated justly Cochrane provides one; with the wording "conducted himself like a true Spaniard."

Edited by NiceFella
  • Like 2

I find all the sloop and privateer action on during the Revolution way more enticing than the massive strategic clashes although it is all part of the same machine with equal measure of importance.

The raid at Whitehaven can correlate with that importance regarding small flotillas.

All those actions did show the big navy powers that trying to kill a wasp with a hammer doesn't work.