Game-Labs Forum

Protect newbs from themselves

I think if a newbie comes to this game and joins the wrong nation, we lose them. If they dont join a clan early and get help, we lose them. If they get hopelessly ganked before they can even become aware they are being attacked by a player, we lose them.

Player retention is critical but I feel like its too easy to put newbs in situations they will fail.

1. Clearly show which nations are active since if someone joins Poland they will probably have no support and be trapped with their bad choice.

2. Dont put newbs in shroud cay if a nation has a viable place for them to start. EX. Prussians should start in Haiti now. 

3. Clans should be able to flag themselves as newbie friendly that allow any newb to join them at will.

4. I think that bottom rank captains shouldn't be taggable, or have strict BR limits on getting tagged so you cant wipe out a newbie snow with a constitution. 

5. The tutorial shows you how to sail. It doesnt teach you how to play the open world game(trading, buildings, outpost.) This needs more work.

Noobs need protection in general. It's bad if I can sadistically gank new players at their starting area for shits and giggles with no repercussions.
I mean it's so easy, if I want to ruin the game for tens of new players by slaughtering them right in front of their spawn, at least make it difficult.

Last I checked, Prussia/Russia/Poland says "impossible" at the character creation screen.

It has been suggested by myself and others on multiple occasions that there should be a dedicated "starting" clan in each nation. I think this would solve a lot of issues. Not all ofc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

Last I checked, Prussia/Russia/Poland says "impossible" at the character creation screen.

It has been suggested by myself and others on multiple occasions that there should be a dedicated "starting" clan in each nation. I think this would solve a lot of issues. Not all ofc.

and US says "easy" or "very easy". What's your point? You can't put a difficulty label on a faction on an MMO lol. It's completely arbitrary.
This isn't a singleplayer game.

Edited by Slim McSauce

4 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

and US says "easy" or "very easy". What's your point? You can't put a difficulty label on a faction on an MMO lol. It's completely arbitrary.

The US is not easy. Its position is relatively safe, but ifs way too far removed from pvp an rvr. Thats a bad thing for noobs who are pvp focused.

The US is "easy" due to position and one way avenue out into the center of the map through Conquest - control of the entire US coast being pointed out as one of the primary objectives in Conquest for that Faction. Think the description is very accurate and a good clue on where to focus energies.

Compare for example with Sweden, where albeit having more flexibility, to west and south, it also can mean double the trouble.

Remember that the nations descriptions do not take into consideration ANY specific chronological period in the Naval Action storyline during the early access.

Things can change a lot, as they did before.

Some interesting points presented. The hardcore nations should be able to choose any starting free port.

Bigger nations with split "capitals" should be able to choose any - example French cadets should be able to choose Fort Royal or Nouvelle Orleans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

US has a massive reinforcement zone, whereas "impossible" nations have none. And it's stated on the character creation screen. That's my point.

US nation would be "very easy" if they didnt constantly paint a target on their back. Much more can be accomplished in-game to make it easier on new players in US nation than waiting for the devs to do something.

1 hour ago, Capn Rocko said:

US has a massive reinforcement zone, whereas "impossible" nations have none. And it's stated on the character creation screen. That's my point.

US nation would be "very easy" if they didnt constantly paint a target on their back. Much more can be accomplished in-game to make it easier on new players in US nation than waiting for the devs to do something.

Ok so US is actually not easy, they have it pretty hard contrary to what the game tells you when selecting a nation which is why it's silly to 
1. label any faction with a difficulty level
2. expect new players to understand why prussia isn't 'impossible' and why US isn't 'easy' when making their choice.

You can say devs themselves painted the target on US by labeling them the weakest nation in need of the most help. I dunno just a thought. It's not like the reinforcement zone hasn't been subverted since introduction and people aren't constantly getting ganked right under the noses of their safezone.

But please, go on about how new players in US would have it so much easier if they didn't make themselves a target, and how that somehow isn't the fault of game mechanics not properly protecting them, or a difficulty label that is outright wrong.

• Like 1

I came here to talk about newbie clans but you had to turn this into another "poor US" thread. ggwp.

With my experience in Prussia, new players get ignored unless they speak German so they have absolutely no one to teach them the game. Not to mention, they are forced to start the game at Shroud Cay (one of the most popular free ports in the game for every nation). I can't speak for Poland or Russia but I'm sure it's a similar experience. This is where Flinch is coming from in his forum post. 

I think each nation should have a dedicated newbie clan that every new player is automatically added to (and can leave at any time). The point is to help teach the basics and get players connected with each other. Kinda like an academy. I can't think of a better idea for player retention. 

Edited by Capn Rocko
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Oberon74 said:

Have them start on the PVE server for their first three ranks.

No. Some newbies want pvp and will get turned off by the pve grind.

3 hours ago, Flinch said:

No. Some newbies want pvp and will get turned off by the pve grind.

Heh, my private little self serving hypothesis is that the pve grind and eco work on the PvP server is why we have trouble keeping peeps.

This is contrasted by the guys who think "MOAR CONTENT!" is what's needed.

4 hours ago, jodgi said:

Heh, my private little self serving hypothesis is that the pve grind and eco work on the PvP server is why we have trouble keeping peeps.

This is contrasted by the guys who think "MOAR CONTENT!" is what's needed.

PvP mains will do anything to keep this game an MMOlite. 

PvP already gets its own currency, its own ships, its own mods. You're literally exempt from everything except port timers.

PvP should have its own game where there is only pvp, no eco, no trading, just pvp since that's all they want.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

PvP should have its own game where there is only pvp, no eco, no trading, just pvp since that's all they want.

Yes, I still mourn the fact that there wasn't enough man hours or energy to give Legends a fair shot. Now you're stuck with us as admin has stated intentions of including us in the OW somehow. We still have hope for patrol missions when devs get time to review that feature.

OW stars can continue to bully players in the reinforcement zones while we in the fight club can find actual fights in the pzones where, hopefully, death squads and late joiners won't have the win served on a silver platter like now.

We don't want to take away your OW joy of steamrolls, rigged and lopsided fights, noob farming, wargame, "playing it smart" and what have you. We want real and hard fighting where skill matters.