Game-Labs Forum

Emergent Nations

The general idea is: Impossible factions for actual PvP players. Basically not the thing we have now with Prussia.

Basic points:

• Emergent nations can be created by clans. A clan needs 10000 PvP marks to create it (number is abstract). Some Victory marks could be added to the mix. Way less though
  • No new players can join it after the nation has been created by just making a new character or switching. Only other clans can join if they have accumulated the same/half amount of PvP marks.
  • The amount of people that can join the emergent faction is limited. Maybe 25. I would go as far as reducing the amount of people a clan can have if needed. Or only 25 players can be chosen from the clan.
  • Starting nations are limited to 4. GB, Spain, France, Netherlands.(They could keep their care zones i guess. Only one though. Up for discussion) Not sure about Pirates. They should be their own different thing.
  • Emergent factions can get unique ships. For example Haiti gets the Améthyste. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_frigate_Félicité_(1785) Preferrably the permits for those ships can be gained by using PvP marks but thats open for discussion. Could go as far as even limiting some ships to some nations. Example: Pirate Frigate limited to Pirates, Rattlesnake to US, Santa Cecilia to X nation. Not all of the ships, just some rare gems.

The idea itself might be shit. But please critise,add your thoughts and suggestions and improvements in a calm and constructive manner. Let's make these emergent nations viable :)

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 5

Everything related to pvp marks that is not cosmetic gets exploited special ships just promote such a behavior even more.

But if nothing is special about them nobody would give up carezones status quo.

What happens to ports and buildings etc or stuff a clan own? 

Why limit membership? Why maximum 25? Even hardcore player are not around 24/7.

Edited by z4ys

30 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Everything related to pvp marks that is not cosmetic gets exploited special ships just promote such a behavior even more.

What happens to ports and buildings etc

Unique ships is just an idea of incentive to join a nation like that. I forgot to mention that. It could be something else. Haven't figured that out yet.

Previous clan owned ports turn back to neutral if a clan decides to make a faction. Buildings get destroyed

Edited by Sella22

15 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Because right now a clan can get 250 people. Way too many. If you keep it that way everybody will be able to join, even those that don't really pvp. Suggested number is not decided. Only a suggestion. The idea was for the new nation to be able to field full numbers in every pb type.

1 minute ago, Batman said:

+1 would create HelloKitty Nation

Well you will be able to choose a historical nation and not just make a completely random one. Sorry ^^ Forgot to mention that as well 

Sounds good but you lost me at...

2 hours ago, Sella22 said:
  • Emergent factions can get unique ships. For example Haiti gets the Améthyste. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_frigate_Félicité_(1785) Preferrably the permits for those ships can be gained by using PvP marks but thats open for discussion. Could go as far as even limiting some ships to some nations. Example: Pirate Frigate limited to Pirates, Rattlesnake to US, Santa Cecilia to X nation. Not all of the ships, just some rare gems.

This would be bad for balance. I would love this, if they could balance it somehow asymmetrically but it would be very complicated and is even more unlikely to actually happen...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Landsman said:

Sounds good but you lost me at...

This would be bad for balance. I would love this, if they could balance it somehow asymmetrically but it would be very complicated and is even more unlikely to actually happen...

We all know that if it happens, these ships won't stay nation restricted for long. It has happened before with the pirate frigate if I am not mistaken. Anyway ship exclusiveness is just one motive that is proposed. It's not necessarily the one. Just one of the possible ones. Haven't really found another one yet though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

So, the intent is to compartmentalize hardcore PvP'ers from the rest of the playerbase? In an already dangerously low-pop game?

Or am I missing the mark here?

It won't affect the player base in any way. People who want to fight will always fight. People who want to fight vs equally or better skilled captains will now know that they can find these kind of fights versus those nations. 

Basically preventing the mistake that people made when they joined the new hardcore nations when they didn't know what they were about. 

It's also an extra motive for people who want to sail under their "own" flag or get seperated from inner nation drama that sometimes happen

Personally I'm not fond of the concept of having up to 25 players essentially remove themselves from their starting nation. If I had my way we'd have two or three nations, and let them duke it out. If people want to cloister themselves they can set up a super-introverted clan.

7 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

Personally I'm not fond of the concept of having up to 25 players essentially remove themselves from their starting nation. If I had my way we'd have two or three nations, and let them duke it out. If people want to cloister themselves they can set up a super-introverted clan.

That's your opinion and of course you are entitled to it :) But I,personally, am in favour of as much freedom and flavour I can get. Obviously the new nations shouldn't be only about fancy flags etc and that's what I'm working on. Diversity and options are what make people spend more time on and have fun with it imho.

If you have any ideas on how you can make them work I would love to hear them :D

• Like 1

Well, let's see. If you're looking for variety and flavor in smaller communities there's probably a few ways to do that without actively splitting them up. The nations feel dead as it is.

One potential solution could be national factions:

- Specific NPC-controlled factions within each nation, ex. for the British you could have the Royal Navy, Privateers, East India Trading Company, etc.

- Players can run missions or perform other activities in the name of said faction to gain standing (trading with EITC flag, capturing enemy ships with Privateer flag, winning PB's with Royal Navy flag etc).

- Each faction has a specific base of operations from which players can acquire missions and purchase faction-specific equipment/ships/cosmetics for use or trade.

- Player clans can receive faction bonuses based on their reputation. (Clans that embrace the EITC may get 15% cost reduction on ports, Royal Navy could get 15% labor hours reduction on shipbuilding due to naval shipyard access, etc)

- System can be expanded with more content as development progresses.

Something like this would encourage more specific comradery and amiable competition within the nations themselves without actively splitting the playerbase further than it's already been split, at least in regard to RvR cooperation, new player support and other social bonuses that come from a healthy community.

Edited by TheHaney
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, z4ys said:

What happens to ports and buildings etc or stuff a clan own? 

If you can't get anything good for pvp marks you may as well not have them. Paint is garbage and I could care less about it. I don't give two craps what my ship looks like, just what it can do.